Call in to see if you are working

542thruNthru

If he has more than 20 drivers in his center, they can only put two on call. Anyone below those two are not "dispatched", I'm not sure if that satisfies the requirement for telling you that you aren't working, they sure don't treat it that way. They still tell you to call in. I'm going to have a lot of questions for my BA. My center is so uninvolved in union I haven't really had to deal with a lot of this stuff.

I don't see where you get "only" 2 can be on call.

All its saying is the 2 least seniority drivers dispatched get 4 hour guarantee everyone else is guaranteed 8. Nothing about only 2 drivers may be on call.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t know the difference, I just call every morning to see if I’m needed. Most of the time I will cover a route, run bulk, missloads or run an air shuttle.

Yeah, I don't think this stuff ever gets strictly enforced. If they followed all the rules, and established on the dispatch who is "on call" for the next day, then everyone below them should be laid off and shouldn't even have to call or be expected to answer the phone. The fact that they have you call in suggests to me that they expect you to be available to work. You are under no obligation to call in unless you are one of the "on call" drivers. If you aren't on call, and they don't tell you there is no work the next day, and you show up and aren't put to work, you should be entitled to 4 hours of show up pay.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

All its saying is the 2 least seniority drivers dispatched get 4 hour guarantee everyone else is guaranteed 8. Nothing about only 2 drivers may be on call.

The language you are referencing is in a section titled "on call drivers". Everything in that section defines what an on call driver is and what rules apply to them. The 4 hours of pay is simply for being on call, if you show up and are put to work, as a driver with seniority, the 8 hour guarantee still applies. Is this how it is interpreted and applied? I don't know.

Reread the entire section, it should be so somewhat clear.

1stgear

Thanks fellas. I’m still confused if I’m on call or call in, but just like most things I’ve seen on the communication topic at UPS, it’s clear as mud.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks fellas. I’m still confused if I’m on call or call in, but just like most things I’ve seen on the communication topic at UPS, it’s clear as mud.

I don't think this language really gets enforced properly, at least not in my center. "Call in" seems to be an informal procedure, which may be supported by precedent or panel decisions. Where are you on the seniority list?

1stgear

I don't think this language really gets enforced properly, at least not in my center. "Call in" seems to be an informal procedure, which may be supported by precedent or panel decisions. Where are you on the seniority list?

Like 2 from the bottom lol. Soon to be 7th from bottom of everyone makes book.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Ok, I reread it from your angle, and I can see what you're saying. The problem I see with interpreting it that way is that section 2 very clearly states that any employee with seniority standing that is put to work is guaranteed 8 hours. If section 3 made an exception to that, it should say "except as provided in section 3". If you read section 3 with that in mind I think it supports my interpretation.

Another reason I read it that way is because I have worked with people in other fields who were in official "on call" positions. On their "on call" days they were paid 4 hours whether they got called in or not. The fact that the on call drivers have to wait until noon to be released also supports my interpretation. How can they justify making you wait around for 3 or more hours before "releasing" you if you aren't being compensated? I could be wrong, and even if I am right about the intention of the language, the enforcement might not match up.

I appreciate the opportunity to challenge my understanding. It helps me to be a better steward.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Like 2 from the bottom lol. Soon to be 7th from bottom of everyone makes book.

I'm going to have to check with my BA before I offer any more help with this. I'm guessing there are some panel decisions, which I don't have access to, that have established the way this language is enforced.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don’t see anywhere that it says you need to call in. They should call you if they need you

It says the employee is released after contacting....

That tells me that you have to call at least once. 4 times? No freaking way. You either need me for the day or not. If not, I will call in one time. After that, I am on my time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In the central there is no on “on call”

You’re either on the schedule or you’re not

They used to try the “on call” bs every Black Friday

Even with the on call language we have, they still tell everyone not scheduled to call in. I don't think they should have to, except the two that are actually on call.

Walk88

In the central there is no on “on call”

You’re either on the schedule or you’re not

They used to try the “on call” bs every Black Friday
Where I was we had to call in everyday even after making 30. Fricken stupid. One morning I was working, then I wasn't, was. This went on for over an hour and a half. Finally I just went about my day.

8000Shelf

Show up before start time and ask route drivers if they want a day off. Guarantee you'll get at least one driver willing to go home and give you the work

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hang around until noon---that really sucks. What if you want to start drinking by 10:00?

That's one reason why I believe the language is meant to pay the one or two drivers who are on call 4 hours whether they work or not. It doesn't change their right to an 8 hour guarantee for being put to work. Just like people who get 4 hours for showing up and not being put to work because they weren't told not to come in. It's to pay them for their trouble and keep management from abusing the newbs. So the on call drivers should be compensated for waiting around to see if they have work for them.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It also looks like I should get a full days pay even if I work a few hours. Hmmmmm

If I read that correctly, you should be getting at least 4hrs pay for being on call. I would call in early and forget about anymore call ins the rest of the time.