Calling out - "On topic"

ManInBrown

Why would I ever tell them anything the day before? That's looking for a problem

Day of.

Pick up phone In morning. Human answers. This is so and so. Not coming in today. See ya tomorrow. Click. Back to bed

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Why would I ever tell them anything the day before? That's looking for a problem

Day of.

Pick up phone In morning. Human answers. This is so and so. Not coming in today. See ya tomorrow. Click. Back to bed
Why would I wake up early. Call in Sit on hold to have them argue with me. Day before. "I'm taking myself out of service " and walk out. That simple.

ManInBrown

Why would I wake up early. Call in Sit on hold to have them argue with me. Day before. "I'm taking myself out of service " and walk out. That simple.
You must work in a different part of the country. I've never heard of such a thing in the 177. We ask for days off a week or two in advance. I've never heard the words taking myself out of service. This is a first.

Why are you sitting on hold? The first person that answers is told I'm not coming in. I don't ask for a specific person. If they answer the phone, they're in a position to take a not coming in call

Poop Head

Judge me.
His work getting loaded into a truck with possibly no one to drive it. Could save a lot of headache. It's kinda like the "not d*ck move" in this situation. He knows he's not gonna be in, tell em right away. Common courtesy?

Edit: forgot to quote your "ten drivers go home every day. What problem" post. @ManInBrown

ManInBrown

You guys are funny. Me not coming in isn't my problem. They get paid to be problem solvers. I'll continue calling out day of, without giving them a reason. I'm not in the let me give my boss a heads up business. He'll manage. The company will still be there the following day when I come back. They won't go out of business

UPSGUY72

Hey guys, I've been a cover driver for roughly 5 months and been with the company for 11 months and I don't have any option days or anything but I need the day off tomorrow to help my parents move, Ive been driving every day since October and I have called in once 2 weeks ago because I had car issues that day. Can i get in trouble if I call in tomorrow without any option days or anything? Thanks in advance guys.

You shouldn't have a problem. Things come up and drivers call in or ask for days off even when the are out of days. Just make sure you call in more than 1 hour before your shift starts. Then make sure you book back on 1 hour before your shift starts on the day your are going to return to work. Even if they gave you a hard time it's only 1 occurrence so not a big deal. Your probably going help them out it's President Day they are going to be cutting routes.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yeah, I'll be calling off in the morning. The only thing I will call in and tell my OMS is, "Hey, it's Cement, I won't be in today. Ok, see you tomorrow." ta-da!!!! DONE!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just be honest and tell the truth "I will not be in due today having to take care of Family Business"

...or he could be completely honest and tell them that he wants to help his parents move and would appreciate it if he could have the day off...

Keep in mind that the OP has zero leverage as he has no paid time off on the books.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must work in a different part of the country. I've never heard of such a thing in the 177. We ask for days off a week or two in advance. I've never heard the words taking myself out of service. This is a first.

Why are you sitting on hold? The first person that answers is told I'm not coming in. I don't ask for a specific person. If they answer the phone, they're in a position to take a not coming in call

So you think that a PT preload sup has the authority to give you the day off?