Calling out - "On topic"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey guys, I've been a cover driver for roughly 5 months and been with the company for 11 months and I don't have any option days or anything but I need the day off tomorrow to help my parents move, Ive been driving every day since October and I have called in once 2 weeks ago because I had car issues that day. Can i get in trouble if I call in tomorrow without any option days or anything? Thanks in advance guys.
Need to take off to help your parents move. Wow

km3

I disagreed with him because a PT sup does not have the authority to give a FT driver the day off.

Calling in isn't about getting permission to have the day off, it's about telling your supervisors you won't be in for whatever reason.

Where I am, hub employees (not sure about drivers), call in to a answering machine and leave a message. I have never called in and spoken with an actual person.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I disagreed with him because a PT sup does not have the authority to give a FT driver the day off.

Not in this case. In my center you have to talk to a FT sup if you are calling in.

We talk to whoever answers the phone. Usually it's the OMS or our dispatcher. None of the OCS or center manager's are even in the building yet when I call in.

In my center we are directed to speak directly to the OCS who is also the only FT sup. The problem is, she acts like a bitch anytime someone calls in. I think she hopes someone will go off on her for the way she acts.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In my center we are directed to speak directly to the OCS who is also the only FT sup. The problem is, she acts like a bitch anytime someone calls in. I think she hopes someone will go off on her for the way she acts.
Love people like that, showing disregard for their emotions just pisses them off more. She sounds like the type of person that would be the one going off and losing their job if the right person called in.

ManInBrown

They've tried that same thing here. Not happening. I tell whoever answers the phone. When they try to tell me I need to speak to so and so I hang up. Been Calles in the office for it on more than one occasion. Stewart laughed at them and that was the end of it. They can't do diddly squat.

You're under no obligation to tell them why your not coming in, and you're under no obligation to speak to a certain "designated" supervisor. Whoever answers the phone is who you tell. If they're in a position where they are the one who answers the phone at the center, then they are also in a position to take a sick call. I've never seen a porter or a preloader or another hourly answer the phone. End of story

Last edited:

ManInBrown

They've been trying that "you must speak to so and so" forever. It doesn't hold up. They can't do :censored2:

It's nothing but an intimidation tactic.