Cancel culture—-ON TOPIC

Supersoaker

Proud Republican Against Trump (RAT)
Disney does not care about the economics.

They could lose every fan, and go out of business, and it wouldn't affect their decision.

It's a moral crusade. Greed won't change their minds.
Walt Disney was a Communiss but Henry Ford and Lindbergh weren't nazis. They were heroes.

tadpole

Oh, did they make it less woke after getting rid of her?

They shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic.

But they stayed on the ship.
I felt like the Mandalorian was not woke. My buddy told me he thought they relieved Kathleen Kennedy and put John Favreau in charge because they saw the wokeness ruining Star Wars.

tadpole

Damn you cancel culture. Oh those Democrats ARE the cancel culture, it's so hard to remember that with all the contrary evidence you guys keep bringing up that we both do it.
Canceling your Disney+ subscription to support a cause is different than demanding somebody lose their job because of their beliefs.

Supersoaker

Canceling your Disney+ subscription to support a cause is different than demanding somebody lose their job because of their beliefs.
Is it? Do tell.

it isn't, you just won't recognize it

Disney doesn't owe her a job. If she says or does something that puts them at risk, they have every right to fire her. For that matter, you have every right to cancel your sub.

This isn't about something one side is doing, this is about evolving societal values and increased polarization.

Wanna show me some of your outraged posts about Colin Kaepernick? Anybody?

tadpole

Is it? Do tell.

it isn't, you just won't recognize it

Disney doesn't owe her a job. If she says or does something that puts them at risk, they have every right to fire her. For that matter, you have every right to cancel your sub.

This isn't about something one side is doing, this is about evolving societal values and increased polarization.

Wanna show me some of your outraged posts about Colin Kaepernick? Anybody?
Interesting, I was just about to suggest that if you brought up Colin Kaepernick you might have a valid point. I’m gonna think about this more but What I want to say right now is that the loudest voices right now are not representative of the general public. And Gina Carano didn’t putting Disney at risk, imho.

Supersoaker

Interesting, I was just about to suggest that if you brought up Colin Kaepernick you might have a valid point. I’m gonna think about this more but What I want to say right now is that the loudest voices right now are not representative of the general public. And Gina Carano didn’t putting Disney at risk, imho.
Given some sane voices, and some time, things will chill out.

vantexan

Her boss told her to chill with political tweets. She responded with a Holocaust joke. She got fired. This isn’t a vast conspiracy.
She talked about how before the Nazis rounded up the Jews the German people were demonizing them. Was showing the parallel going on today with Trump supporters and how liberals are saying they need to be rounded up and reeducated. Hardly a joke but the Twitter mob was outraged that she was comparing them to pre WWII German Nazis.

Last edited:

It will be fine

She talked about how before the Nazis rounded up the Jews the German people were demonizing them. Was showing the parallel going on today with Trump supporters and how liberals were saying they need to be rounded up and reeducated. Hardly a joke but the Twitter mob was outraged that she was comparing them to pre WWII German Nazis.
No one thinks you guys need to be re-educated. Just educated to begin with would help.

tadpole

Her boss told her to chill with political tweets. She responded with a Holocaust joke. She got fired. This isn’t a vast conspiracy.
I admit I don’t know the whole story, but I did read her tweet and it wasn’t a joke about the holocaust. It was saying that in her opinion there are warning signs towards the culture going in a dark direction. Not necessarily as bad as the holocaust but she found some similarities. I personally resonate with that but I can understand why people would disagree. I don’t understand why people would be offended by it.

Supersoaker

The New York Times had a must read article. An interview with Michael Goldhaber by Charlie Warzel. February 4th.

Goldhaber predicted that the internet would create an "attention economy" that would reward the loudest and most extreme voices. It has happened.

Great article.

tadpole

The New York Times had a must read article. An interview with Michael Goldhaber by Charlie Warzel. February 4th.

Goldhaber predicted that the internet would create an "attention economy" that would reward the loudest and most extreme voices. It has happened.

Great article.
No one thinks you guys need to be re-educated. Just educated to begin with would help.
It never hurts to educate yourself. We all could use some more education here and there. There are plenty of smart, educated people on both sides of the political spectrum. And it does yourself a disservice to act like you’re smarter than everybody who disagrees with you. Not a good look.

It will be fine

I admit I don’t know the whole story, but I did read her tweet and it wasn’t a joke about the holocaust. It was saying that in her opinion there are warning signs towards the culture going in a dark direction. Not necessarily as bad as the holocaust but she found some similarities. I personally resonate with that but I can understand why people would disagree. I don’t understand why people would be offended by it.
Some people take the Holocaust seriously and don’t like to minimize it. She had already been warned to chill out on the political tweets. She refused and was fired for it. It happens all the time. My company has a social media policy, it’s basically standard employment practice these days.

Lefties are always worried about someone's taxes? You must have zero faith in the IRS to do its job, yet you have 100 percent faith in government to be involved in every other aspect of our lives?
You do realize that states and cities have taxes. The IRS is a federal organization and is part of the US government.

It will be fine

It never hurts to educate yourself. We all could use some more education here and there. There are plenty of smart, educated people on both sides of the political spectrum. And it does yourself a disservice to act like you’re smarter than everybody who disagrees with you. Not a good look.
What if you have years of experience with a poster and it’s not an act to understand you are smarter than them? If someone refuses to acknowledge facts in favor of unfounded beliefs I don’t see the issue with treating them as an intellectual inferior.

tadpole

Some people take the Holocaust seriously and don’t like to minimize it. She had already been warned to chill out on the political tweets. She refused and was fired for it. It happens all the time. My company has a social media policy, it’s basically standard employment practice these days.
OK, you’re entitled to your opinion that she deserves to be fired, and I can respect that. To me, I am bothered by those types of policies. I know that we should be careful to represent our employers well, but we also all have various things that we care about deeply, and to not be allowed to express your beliefs doesn’t help the world.

vantexan

She exercised her constitutional right and had her words twisted to get her canned. How dare she point out the cancel culture parallels with Nazi Germany.

vantexan

What if you have years of experience with a poster and it’s not an act to understand you are smarter than them? If someone refuses to acknowledge facts in favor of unfounded beliefs I don’t see the issue with treating them as an intellectual inferior.
Delusion, a tributary of Denial.