Can't decide to vote yes or no

tadpole

My #1 issue with this job is too many hours. I was hoping this contract would reduce my excessive overtime. I wanted absolute protection from over 60 hours. I don’t want to have to file and fight every time they don’t honor my 9.5. Basically, there will be no real improvements that matter with excessive OT, but at least nothing got worse.

I do not like the idea of 22.4s making less, with no protections. But ever since I’ve been here, the rookies have always been getting screwed, so no real change here. If anything, these newbs will make more $$ right off the bat. They can bid RPCD jobs, so they’re not stuck.

I don’t care about PT catch up raises. We all made chump change before we went full time. They’re not being hurt that new hires get $13. They would be happier if new hires still made $8.50. Worry about yourself.

I know UPS likes to over dispatch. I don’t think they are going to be lowering any stop counts due to 22.4s. But who knows, maybe they might. So a small possibility for improvement.

If anything, I worry RCPDs will have later start times due to 22.4s. Or other unforeseen consequences. So overall, I worry it will have a slightly negative effect. But who knows?

I don’t see a problem with the “as long as there is work available” language because we are scheduled M-friend and guaranteed 8 hrs. They never like to have enough drivers and I just can’t see layoffs on Mon happening. There would be a line out the door for “who wants a dead day?”

I’d be happy knowing I won’t be working any weekends. I am happy with the monetary details of the proposed contract.

TLDR - It’s not really a bad contract but I’m really disappointed the excessive OT problem wasn’t handled.

Leaning towards no but the more I think about it, swaying towards yes.

Box Ox

I don’t see a problem with the “as long as there is work available” language because we are scheduled M-friend and guaranteed 8 hrs.

Under the current Contract, because there's no "If work is available" language. RPCDs will not be guaranteed 8 hours M-friend under the new language. Period. It's a fact. If you want 40 hours you'll probably be free to work long hours a few days of the week. If too many RPCDs want long hours those few days, the Company will fall back on the "If work is available" language for that purpose too.

There would be a line out the door for “who wants a dead day?”

Not always or at every location. Especially if in addition to huge route cuts on Monday due to heavy RPCD weekend routes, volume that might be delivered on Friday by a higher paid RPCD is held for delivery by a lower paid 22.4 on Saturday,

I don’t think they are going to be lowering any stop counts due to 22.4s. But who knows, maybe they might. So a small possibility for improvement.

Not a chance. The Company has zero interest in lighter routes. They'll cut routes very hard on Mondays, and possibly Fridays. If a lower seniority RPCD wants their 40 hour guarantee they'll probably be welcome to work long days between Tuesday-Friday when "work is available", or maybe even Tuesday through Thursday if any Friday volume is held for Saturday.

tadpole

Under the current Contract, because there's no "If work is available" language. RPCDs will not be guaranteed 8 hours M-friend under the new language. Period. It's a fact. If you want 40 hours you'll probably be free to work long hours a few days of the week. If too many RPCDs want long hours those few days, the Company will fall back on the "If work is available" language for that purpose too.

Here, the schedule is posted Friday. It will list all the RPCDs start times from M-friend. If you’re scheduled and you come in, you’re getting your 8.

I agree though, that this language is troubling, especially since there are probably a lot of creative ways for the company to use it that we haven’t even thought of yet. But it has been my experience at UPS that anyone wanting more hours is always given them. I’ve never had to worry about not enough hours, it’s always been too much.

Also, I have enough seniority to not be worried about this for myself.

Also, I have enough seniority to not be worried about this for myself.

You do you, man. Your brothers and sisters appreciate that.

Any RPCD should be terrified by "as long as work is available."

Here, the schedule is posted Friday. It will list all the RPCDs start times from M-friend. If you’re scheduled and you come in, you’re getting your 8.

.....you're scheduled and you come in, sup says, "Sorry, no work is available, best of luck tonorrow."

LagunaBrown

boogie.jpg

BEWARE OF INTERNET BOOGIEMAN MAKING THINGS UP

Talk to your Business agent about this first

tadpole

You do you, man. Your brothers and sisters appreciate that.

Any RPCD should be terrified by "as long as work is available."

.....you're scheduled and you come in, sup says, "Sorry, no work is available, best of luck tonorrow."
I am under the impression that In the Western region, they have to pay you your 8. Are you saying the new language would change this?

bumped

tadpole...Will it be OK in the future for employees to vote to cut your pension for their higher wages? I mean the future employees have to take care of themselves...Right?

LagunaBrown

I am under the impression that In the Western region, they have to pay you your 8. Are you saying the new language would change this?
Article 2 section 2 in the NMA explains that language in riders rule. Talk to your Business Agent and he will explain. I am in west and have a 8 hour 5 day guarantee so that stuff he posted is :bsbullf: to me.

Box Ox

Article 2 section 2 explains that language in riders rule. Talk to your Business Agent and he will explain. I am in west and have a 8 hour 5 day guarantee so that stuff he posted is :bsbullf: to me.

As you previously said, the guarantee you said you've got in the southwest is from 2013, and you haven't seen the 2018 release yet. I'd be amazed if all drivers in the Southwest Region, or any region really, are exempted from the "If work is available" language when the 2018 supplements/riders are done.

LagunaBrown

As you previously said, the guarantee you said you've got in the southwest is from 2013, and you haven't seen the 2018 release yet. I'd be amazed if all drivers in the Southwest Region, or any region really, are exempted from the "If work is available" language when the 2018 supplements/riders are done.
Your clueless.