CEO

barnyard

KTM rider
A CEO has to have the vision for the direction of the company. Mike Eskew drove the company global. He made decisions that never would have flown because they were expensive, yet now they are huge profit centers (as I understand it, he was the driving force behind our China and Europe investment and growth.)

The CEO has to see the big picture and chart the direction of the company that makes the most profit for that direction. UPS does much, much more than deliver packages. It would not surprise me a bit to find out that UPS has a future that does not include delivering packages. I would also bet that if/when UPS sheds the small parcel division, that they are still very profitable.

I do not read enough 'insider' magazines to know what the professional opinions are of UPS CEOs. I have read that UPS managers are sought out by other companies, as they typically have a broader range of talent then other industry managers.

I am sure that there are business mags that have written about UPS' CEOs, both their strengths and weaknesses. I would search either the Wall Street Journal archives or Transportation Age.

TB

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
this is a very selfish attitude. why dont you walk in someone elses shoes for once. yeah, you do the manual labor...lots of other people still work at this company.

no, i didnt...but its not because scott davis makes millions. i'm sacrificing for a larger MIP than last year.

its like the citigroup, goldman sachs debate about salaries....without paying well, you don't attract the best talent at those positions. what. do you want tieguy and me running the company :)

i think its sad that you look and judge someone by their salary when you have no clue what he does. do you think he is under 9.5?

What a stoke this guy is.
He thinks he's some kind of captain of industry in his little entry level sales job.
He and his peers are obviously lost without leads from the little, uneducated, peons beneath him.
He's got no more idea what that guy does (the CEO) than anybody else on this forum.
He's not qualified to continually talk down to us like he does.
This "wanna be" ought to stick to his cold calls.
What he continues to miss is that a salesman is only as good as his product and that his product is the service provided by the very people he talks down to.
I've resisted engaging this guy but could no loger take it.
I'm sure he'll have some snotty reply that will reinforce everything I'm saying.
Sad part is he won't even realize it and probably never will.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
What a stoke this guy is.
He thinks he's some kind of captain of industry in his little entry level sales job.
He and his peers are obviously lost without leads from the little, uneducated, peons beneath him.
He's got no more idea what that guy does (the CEO) than anybody else on this forum.
He's not qualified to continually talk down to us like he does.
This "wanna be" ought to stick to his cold calls.
What he continues to miss is that a salesman is only as good as his product and that his product is the service provided by the very people he talks down to.
I've resisted engaging this guy but could no loger take it.
I'm sure he'll have some snotty reply that will reinforce everything I'm saying.
Sad part is he won't even realize it and probably never will.

dont hold back, tell me how you really feel. was that snotty enough?

City Driver

i want a CEO who was a driver

my favorite sups at any job i ever had use to be drivers before they went to the dark side.....they are more understanding and have an idea what its like

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Salesguy, I ain't out to slam you or Mr. Davis. I am actually somewhat in awe of your loyalty to the guy. You DIDN"T get a raise this past year, but can justify the 100 grand a week he gets. I don't agree with you (on much at all) but I must admit you do bleed brown. I spoke to one of my on road sups. He didn't get a raise either. He wasn't nearly as unsderstanding as you are.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
this is a very selfish attitude. why dont you walk in someone elses shoes for once. yeah, you do the manual labor...lots of other people still work at this company.

no, i didnt...but its not because scott davis makes millions. i'm sacrificing for a larger MIP than last year.

its like the citigroup, goldman sachs debate about salaries....without paying well, you don't attract the best talent at those positions. what. do you want tieguy and me running the company :)

i think its sad that you look and judge someone by their salary when you have no clue what he does. do you think he is under 9.5?

I'm selfish? I don't get the 5 mil while people under me get nothing. And I'll walk in Mr. Davis' gucci shoes if you or he wants to come down and run my route for a week.

How come we don't attract the best talent in SALES.:wink2:

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't begrudge anyone their compensation. I made a fair living and hope most can say the same.

What I don't care for is what I've seen over the past several years. Plans and expenses on systems touted to "save money" that not only don't live up to that billing, but are more of an expense than before they were implemented......and that's not counting the cost of the system(s) themselves. Oh sure, you can manipulate the "numbers" to show otherwise.....but I'm not buying it.

As far as a day when UPS doesn't deliver small parcels......most likely. I think the first step towards that was when the name was officially changed from "United Parcel Service" to UPS. It wouldn't be the first time that a company has abandoned their roots. And it wouldn't be the first time that a company has gone 'belly-up' by doing so. Not saying that would happen.....just putting it out there as 'food for thought'.

I just wish that someone up top would take a good hard look at things. I think that they would notice that, too many times, a dollar is being jumped over to pick up a dime. But, of course, that would be earning their money....and it's much easier to pass the buck onto those that are not making the 'big money' and are already overworked. JMO

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm selfish? I don't get the 5 mil while people under me get nothing. And I'll walk in Mr. Davis' gucci shoes if you or he wants to come down and run my route for a week.

How come we don't attract the best talent in SALES.:wink2:

Johnston & Murphy - I know since I shine them for him on occasion. Managers take turns here in Corporate.

Try running a global organization for one. Then thow in the financial stability of the company, which includes, employee compensation and benefits, capital expenditures, mergers and acquisitions, new service enhancements, and hold the management committee accountable for their positions.

Over the last few years, research the CEO's who have driven the economy into the ground, be it mortgage companies, banks and Wall St in general, and you will see Scott Davis is not overpaid, as UPS is still in business, and managing its costs as needed by this horrible economy.

Chan, I know you think you answered the original question, but the only thing I read that comes close to an answer is, "hold the management committee accountable for their positions". The upper crust is flush with experienced and talented people that come up with the visions that drive the company in whatever direction they choose. I think it is kind of naive to think that Scott Davis has all the ideas on his own. In fact it would be interesting to know just how many of the changes made in UPS lately were actually HIS ideas.

what. do you want tieguy and me running the company :)
Tieguy is probably more qualified than Scott Davis, his first move would probably be to fire you. At least Tie understands what it's like to move a 100 lb package from point A to point B.