Change Routes!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm thinking about giving up my route I've had for 22 years or so the next time we rebid at the end of this year. It simply has too many stops on it with 160-170 a day. We have one that is a further drive that has 120-130 stops a day, you can get through by 5:00 if you want to. Current driver got ticked off when I was looking at his car, several drivers are wanting it too. I always check the bid board whenever I walk past it.
Gotta keep'em on their toes...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm actually considering retiring now. Monday has become a total disaster since we went to Saturday Ground and the increased stops per car is out of hand. With the 2018 Contract coming up, I only see things getting worse. I feel fine and am in good shape, the BS is getting too deep.

I haven't regretted leaving even once in the past four years.

Faceplanted

This new route is the closest route to the center which some drivers were telling me is not a good thing but I`m loving it as I get a good jump on the day and have longer time to get the day finished with a 5 minute drive back to the center!
I would much rather drive 40 minutes to my area and 40 minutes back. Your working an extras hour and a half compared to the driver who works much farther out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So as a 30 year driver I was on a " cushy " gated community mostly residential route but was getting my ass kicked with the furniture deliveries and Florida heat and high requested SPORH! A " difficult " route of 40% business and heavy OT opened so I made the switch to everyones disbelief." Why leave the easiest route in the center for the hardest at this point in your career" blah, blah, blah! Turns out it was a genius move! No more bulk, in lots of AC cooled stops, friendly nice business people offering drinks and candy and much shorter driveways! I don`t even mind the OT because much less wear and tear on my body! It`s been decades since I`m enjoying going to work again! A difficult route to make all the commit times and keep the business happy but with my experience a welcome and rewarding challenge! My point is if your not happy with your route don`t be afraid to change it!
Watch some oven of a pick up moves in next month.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm actually considering retiring now. Monday has become a total disaster since we went to Saturday Ground and the increased stops per car is out of hand. With the 2018 Contract coming up, I only see things getting worse. I feel fine and am in good shape, the BS is getting too deep.
The whole center should be on the 9-5 list.

Raw

Raw Member
I would much rather drive 40 minutes to my area and 40 minutes back. Your working an extras hour and a half compared to the driver who works much farther out.
My last route when I drove an extra 20 min there and 20 min back I had to deliver more stops in less time so to show a 19 SPORH I was really doing a 23 SPORH

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So as a 30 year driver I was on a " cushy " gated community mostly residential route but was getting my ass kicked with the furniture deliveries and Florida heat and high requested SPORH! A " difficult " route of 40% business and heavy OT opened so I made the switch to everyones disbelief." Why leave the easiest route in the center for the hardest at this point in your career" blah, blah, blah! Turns out it was a genius move! No more bulk, in lots of AC cooled stops, friendly nice business people offering drinks and candy and much shorter driveways! I don`t even mind the OT because much less wear and tear on my body! It`s been decades since I`m enjoying going to work again! A difficult route to make all the commit times and keep the business happy but with my experience a welcome and rewarding challenge! My point is if your not happy with your route don`t be afraid to change it!
Resi routes are the worst routes now....they want 200 stops done a day on those....total bs

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Go into feeder scratch and work another 25 years.....hell, go for it!!!

ManInBrown

Sporh? What's sporh? I deliver packages and pickup packages. I work in a safe manner so as not to get into any accidents, and not get hurt. When I'm done, I'm done.

Faceplanted

Resi routes are the worst routes now....they want 200 stops done a day on those....total bs
I don't understand how a resi route can be worse. You deliver no bulk, maybe a few furniture pieces but mostly small packages. Less heavy lifting. Imho way less wear and tear on your body.

If they want you to do 200 stops, get on the 9-5 list. Let them ojs ride you. Work at a safe pace while on your ojs ride and the min max will drop like magic.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I don't understand how a resi route can be worse. You deliver no bulk, maybe a few furniture pieces but mostly small packages. Less heavy lifting. Imho way less wear and tear on your body.

If they want you to do 200 stops, get on the 9-5 list. Let them ojs ride you. Work at a safe pace while on your ojs ride and the min max will drop like magic.

A few pieces you say...
20170721_151330.jpg

Coldworld

60 months and counting

It's the constant in and out of the truck...ask @scratch how the wear and tear on your body adds up... I would rather do a dock route with 20 pickups anyday

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It's the constant in and out of the truck...ask @scratch how the wear and tear on your body adds up... I would rather do a dock route with 20 pickups anyday

Its the amount of repetitive motion you put your body through all day. On a residential route like mine, I climb in and out of the car at least 160 times and I walk at least twelve miles a day. It's a miracle I have never had any knee, hip, back, or shoulder problems after 33 years in package. I'm a lot more careful these days, we are all just pieces of equipment with a dollar sign associated with us. A commercial route like my first one in an industrial park had 60 delivery stops and 40-50 pickup accounts. A lot less driving and walking in comparison.