Change Routes!

Faceplanted

It's the constant in and out of the truck...ask @scratch how the wear and tear on your body adds up... I would rather do a dock route with 20 pickups anyday
Walking is great for the body. You don't get wear and tear from walking, you get wear and tear from jumpin in and out of the truck, running around and not following the methods.

twoweeled

I'm afraid though

Sheesh! Who isn't??? U kidding me. Change is difficult!

scared-man-5621790.jpg

twoweeled

I did a mall route a week ago. 1 day was horrible, the rest were not. If it were not for days like Friday (and it happens every Friday, there is a shoe store that gets 150-190 boxes, no dock), I could see bidding that route. Other routes that I do that have a nice mix of business are turning out to be my faves.
A mall? Are you kidding me? A mall is a social route, driver. What's a matter for you? There are women galore, and many of them,,,,,,, "will like you"! Trust me. You gotta cruise a mall route and be sociable. No rushing in the mall, or you'll look the fool. I loved me a mall. yeah, I was also divorced. lol

Raw

Raw Member
I don't understand how a resi route can be worse. You deliver no bulk, maybe a few furniture pieces but mostly small packages. Less heavy lifting. Imho way less wear and tear on your body.

If they want you to do 200 stops, get on the 9-5 list. Let them ojs ride you. Work at a safe pace while on your ojs ride and the min max will drop like magic.
No comparison ! My "easy resi gated community " route was and is totally bulked out with dog food, rugs, and furniture with 100 foot driveways! I have a few business stops now with bulk but there is always a worker to help and lots of deliveries are envelopes delivered in AC. Many resi now are trailer parkes with 3 foot driveways! I`m in delivery heaven! LOL

MC0493

I agree that customers are almost more important than what type of route you have. If you get to work with great people it really changes the day. Crappy people make a route suck. I've been covering a primarily residential route that they're forcing 200 stops on (bid driver would never do 200) and the truck leaves bricked out everyday with all the bulky bs people order. It's not mostly small packages anymore.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I agree that customers are almost more important than what type of route you have. If you get to work with great people it really changes the day. Crappy people make a route suck. I've been covering a primarily residential route that they're forcing 200 stops on (bid driver would never do 200) and the truck leaves bricked out everyday with all the bulky bs people order. It's not mostly small packages anymore.
If the bid driver doesn't do 200 stops then neither should you. Stretch that day out and make em pay for setting higher standards for you.

MC0493

There's alot of routes like that in my center, driver changes and so does the stop count. Speaking for myself, i'm not running or rushing to get the work done, i work in a safe manor and i guess i'm just quicker than the bid driver. I filed to be on the 9.5 list and i use that to help. As a fellow driver says, work like a gentleman.

35years

Gravy route
I had a city route for 15 years with 50-50 small shops and resis.
Knew and loved all the business owners and the great neighborhoods.
I would have never given it up, if they did not change it.

Now, I have done a rural route for many years.
No comparison.
Moving 100-120 pkgs a day del and p/u combined is like not working.
Plus people in the country are real, down to earth folks.
And I can be done as early as 3PM if I have something going on.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a city route for 15 years with 50-50 small shops and resis.
Knew and loved all the business owners and the great neighborhoods.
I would have never given it up, if they did not change it.

Now, I have done a rural route for many years.
No comparison.
Moving 100-120 pkgs a day del and p/u combined is like not working.
Plus people in the country are real, down to earth folks.
And I can be done as early as 3PM if I have something going on.
Me too. 140 stops and 230 miles occasionally but only 250 pieces.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A mall? Are you kidding me? A mall is a social route, driver. What's a matter for you? There are women galore, and many of them,,,,,,, "will like you"! Trust me. You gotta cruise a mall route and be sociable. No rushing in the mall, or you'll look the fool. I loved me a mall. yeah, I was also divorced. lol
Despise mall routes.

Not to mention the traditional mall is dying.

twoweeled

Me too. 140 stops and 230 miles occasionally but only 250 pieces.
DAMN!!!! LMAO. A little perspective. My normal day was 85 stops, maybe 40 PU, del about 180-190 pcs (over 200 pcs a different story). 60 miles. 10 hours.
I could do your route, if it was in an airplane and I just pushed the stops out the door! Watch out below!

twoweeled

If the bid driver doesn't do 200 stops then neither should you. Stretch that day out and make em pay for setting higher standards for you.
You must be my twin brother! My exact thoughts! Don't complain about it, just make them pay. He's doing 200 stops,,,,, because he'll do 200 stops!! Just make him pay to the point, where it doesn't pay for them to give him 200 stops. Too many guys complaining and not making them pay a price.