Contract news?

Bill

All I saw that Red said, was that UPS has trustees on the CS fund, and they aren't being called out for their role in it. Also I haven't seen him "selling" the CS fund, and has admitted it's in dire straits. Something has to be done no doubt about that.
It doesn't really matter who is running the CS pension fund, whether it is the Teamsters or UPS trustees or a combination. The bottom line is that there is no way to fix the pension fund as long as UPS keeps pouring billions of dollars into it, and UPS people receive only 40% of this money due to the multiemployer fiasco.

Bill

Rocky,
Sometimes we have to make a stand to get what's fair. Now if your gonna "report" during a strike because your sup said so, what next? He tells you to donate your ck? Work off the clock? Snitch on other drivers? Falsify delivery information? Drop some "choice" pkg's off at his house?
We do work for UPS. But we belong to a brother hood that has brought to us a collective bargaining agreement that requires a small sacrifice on our part from time to time.
It is easy for the Teamsters to call a strike. Afterall, they sit in their cozy office, work a few hours a week, and still receive their full salary. It doesn't change even when not on strike. They still work only a few hours a week. However, if we go on strike, the paycheck stops, and the Teamsters give us a whopping $55 per week to live off and support a family. (I am referring to the strike of 97). The ironic part of that, is that the Teamsters did not even have enough $55 checks to go around, and then they had the nerve to collect union dues.

Braveheart

who will float it if CS folds? Same insurance provider only the single employer plan is insured 4 times better then the multi-employer plan. Kinda makes it a no brainer don't it red.
I have been told by managers that your insurance plan used to be great. But after we went public they started to make changes by shifting more and more of the cost to you guys. All the managers I have talked to have said it just isn't what it used to be. So if your insurance is so great why all the cuts and or shift in costs to the employee. Fact is no single insurance of any kind is safe. They are a for profit business and will continue to raise their rates to offset the higher and higher costs charged by the so called "not for profit" hospitals. The Dr's, labs, and pharmacy's all continue to raise their rates and until the government steps in to regulate them we will all pay dearly. The not for profit Mayo clinic told me since a particular item was not covered they would not give me the discount even though I was paying cash. It was $72 at the not for profit yet I went to for profit stores and all charged between $38 and $52. You tell me what is wrong with that picture.

Braveheart

My bad on the spelling. Showed your age though. Yes the newer trucks are finally lower to the ground, have longer hand rails for the virtically challenged, power steering, and many are automatics. The side doors are wider and they made the jump seats higher to protect the heads with cushioned backs. They still have poor ventilation and get way to hot. Come on and admit it. One of the first things you thought of when you went inti management was no more days baking in the big brown oven. They need more vents up front and in the back. They need to have a better dash to set things on and maybe a clip to hold the log. the new DIAD holders are way to far out of reach when you are at a red light or pulled over to grab and check your options, messages, etc... They could get stronger vans too. I actually like the old seats due to better back support. The new seats have poor lumbar support.

Last edited:

Braveheart

Don't think its an avoidance issue. Its a compatibility issue. Lot of these jobs don't fit into our existing system very well. Probably most.
There are three things that I have noticed about the combo employees in my building. 1 They are all still here and that means ZERO turnover and ZERO rehiring, background checks, and retraining costs. They are veterans who help teach and train the younger employees and generally need little supervision. 2 They are full timers who have a lot more at stake and therefore are less likely to fake an injury like the newbies that are looking to score a settlement, less likely to steal to score some easy cash, less likely to get in an accident, less likely to be late to work, etc etc and last but not least are more likely to invest in the company by BUYING UPS STOCK!, investing in the company 401K plan, purchasing UPS products like Nascar gear and of course using our shipping services. All of these things sure do sound like they fit in pretty good to me.

Overpaid Union Thug

There are three things that I have noticed about the combo employees in my building. 1 They are all still here and that means ZERO turnover and ZERO rehiring, background checks, and retraining costs. They are veterans who help teach and train the younger employees and generally need little supervision. 2 They are full timers who have a lot more at stake and therefore are less likely to fake an injury like the newbies that are looking to score a settlement, less likely to steal to score some easy cash, less likely to get in an accident, less likely to be late to work, etc etc and last but not least are more likely to invest in the company by BUYING UPS STOCK!, investing in the company 401K plan, purchasing UPS products like Nascar gear and of course using our shipping services. All of these things sure do sound like they fit in pretty good to me.

Now if we can just get UPS contract negotiaters to stop being spitefull $%ssholes and take the new 22.3 jobs, as well as all the other full-time jobs, off hold than we can get more people like that into the mix.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Now if we can just get UPS contract negotiaters to stop being spitefull $%ssholes and take the new 22.3 jobs, as well as all the other full-time jobs, off hold than we can get more people like that into the mix.
These negiotaions have nothing to do with the all ready agreed upon 22.3 jobs. I have seen alot of postings here over the last week. Keep in mind that ups should have until aug 1 to fill these positions. If your in line to get one just hang in there and be patient.

Overpaid Union Thug

These negiotaions have nothing to do with the all ready agreed upon 22.3 jobs. I have seen alot of postings here over the last week. Keep in mind that ups should have until aug 1 to fill these positions. If your in line to get one just hang in there and be patient.

I've been patient but when someone dangles something in my face like they are going to give it to me and then takes it away I tend to lose a little patience. It's hard not to.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I've been patient but when someone dangles something in my face like they are going to give it to me and then takes it away I tend to lose a little patience. It's hard not to.

In the contract it states they have 10 days to fill the bid after the bid comes down. If these bids were bid for the full 5 days then your pay and seniority should be prorated back to then. Similiar to the 97 postings were they didnt take affect until 98 and even 99, but they all received back pay and seniority when it was over. You said the grievances have been filed and i know it takes some time to get heard and resolved, in the end you will get your 22.3 combe fulltime job. I understand that they even told you the date to start and that is bs on ups's part in my book. I hope you and others didnt turn in your notice to leave your other employments and are now out of work, attempting to survive off of ups's p-time pay.

Ups dirt bag labor managers, i know you come on here and read this so you better do the right thing and post these p-timers in their already bid 22.3 jobs. Why should you collect a check for what you do and still refuse to, what you agreed to do? Cant you see these kids need and want these jobs and unlike you they plan to earn their paycheck. Now try and earn yours and make good on the contract!

Overpaid Union Thug

In the contract it states they have 10 days to fill the bid after the bid comes down. If these bids were bid for the full 5 days then your pay and seniority should be prorated back to then. Similiar to the 97 postings were they didnt take affect until 98 and even 99, but they all received back pay and seniority when it was over. You said the grievances have been filed and i know it takes some time to get heard and resolved, in the end you will get your 22.3 combe fulltime job. I understand that they even told you the date to start and that is bs on ups's part in my book. I hope you and others didnt turn in your notice to leave your other employments and are now out of work, attempting to survive off of ups's p-time pay.

Ups dirt bag labor managers, i know you come on here and read this so you better do the right thing and post these p-timers in their already bid 22.3 jobs. Why should you collect a check for what you do and still refuse to, what you agreed to do? Cant you see these kids need and want these jobs and unlike you they plan to earn their paycheck. Now try and earn yours and make good on the contract!

I wish I was the one that was supposed to go into the 22.3 job but I'm not. A driver won that job. We also had full-time driver bids and I was supposed to get one of them. Most of the bids were finished (here it's 10 days and then UPS has 7 days to fill them) but a couple were still posted when UPS put everything on hold.

O

Ohio UPSer

I was told that the reason jobs have been taken down is due to the possible take over of Health & Welfare by UPS. They do not want more people enrolled into CS when it could only be for the final year of the present contract.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was told that the reason jobs have been taken down is due to the possible take over of Health & Welfare by UPS. They do not want more people enrolled into CS when it could only be for the final year of the present contract.
It could be, but if that cs buyout happens it wouldnt take effect until the end of thecontract (next aug) unless an agreement was made. Ups is still accountable for payments for those jobs on behalf of those employees to whatever fund they fall under. The union better not give in on retro pension, hourly wages and differences in hours worked and fulltime hours that should have been worked from the dates that these employees should have started their ftime jobs!

18wheelbrownie

before they take anything over, there has to be a vote from the members first, for the new contract!detailing everything:thumbup1:

J

JonFrum

The Article 22.3 Debacle: Chapter One

. . . Similiar to the 97 postings were they didnt take affect until 98 and even 99, but they all received back pay and seniority when it was over. . .

705red,

Those original Article 22.3 jobs should have been created starting August 1,1997 and every Quarter thereafter. That's why the Contract requires UPS to provide *quarterly* job-creation progress reports to the IBT. But UPS and the Teamsters have screwed up every aspect of the 22.3 situation. The original group of jobs wasn't created until 2000. I got the first one in my building and that was April of 2000. It took still more years to force UPS to make the retroactive pension contributions to the New England pension fund on behalf of New England UPSers with 22.3 jobs. Further, no one got any retro pay or benefits for Year One!!!

Remember, Year One ran from August 1, 1997 to July 31, 1998. But the earliest jobs were given a seniority date, and retro-pay back to, August 1, 1998. The entire first year just disappeared! No jobs, no money, no seniority. Thus, any one with a, so-called, Year One job, actually has a Year Two job. There are no Year One jobs. Check around. I don't think anyone nationwide has a seniority date prior to August 1, 1998, the first day of Year Two! And, by Company policy, we don't get overtime either!

Of course, it's always possible Local 705 has a different arrangement, but I doubt it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't see why, or how, they'd be able to continue to keep that many new jobs "on hold" for over a year. Especially since they are already way behind on creating the required number of jobs.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Re: The Article 22.3 Debacle: Chapter One

705red,

Those original Article 22.3 jobs should have been created starting August 1,1997 and every Quarter thereafter. That's why the Contract requires UPS to provide *quarterly* job-creation progress reports to the IBT. But UPS and the Teamsters have screwed up every aspect of the 22.3 situation. The original group of jobs wasn't created until 2000. I got the first one in my building and that was April of 2000. It took still more years to force UPS to make the retroactive pension contributions to the New England pension fund on behalf of New England UPSers with 22.3 jobs. Further, no one got any retro pay or benefits for Year One!!!

Remember, Year One ran from August 1, 1997 to July 31, 1998. But the earliest jobs were given a seniority date, and retro-pay back to, August 1, 1998. The entire first year just disappeared! No jobs, no money, no seniority. Thus, any one with a, so-called, Year One job, actually has a Year Two job. There are no Year One jobs. Check around. I don't think anyone nationwide has a seniority date prior to August 1, 1998, the first day of Year Two! And, by Company policy, we don't get overtime either!

Of course, it's always possible Local 705 has a different arrangement, but I doubt it.
Jon i will find out tomorrow what the start dates for our year 1 jobs are.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't see why, or how, they'd be able to continue to keep that many new jobs "on hold" for over a year. Especially since they are already way behind on creating the required number of jobs.
If the union allows that i will organize the chicago market for the apwa, im serious, this better get resolved soon and proper!

Overpaid Union Thug

If the union allows that i will organize the chicago market for the apwa, im serious, this better get resolved soon and proper!

The sooner the better. I hope people are filling grievences like crazy over this. I don't know what can be done about the bids that hadn't completed their 10 day posting periods. Hopefully they'll go back up and continue where they left off. As long as they go back up and aren't cancelled I'll be happy. Our management team helped fight for these new jobs so we clearly need them.

sawdusttv

I heard that one of the concessions that UPS is asking for from the teamsters on the next contract, is to do away with the 22.3 jobs and be allowed to use year around temp workers.
Anyone else heard this?

That would be a ridiculous request, the teamsters would never go for that. Temp workers don't pay any union dues. Maybe that's one of the "throw-away" requests that they tossed out there in the initial offer but have no expectation of ever getting. :wink: