Corp Marketing Layoffs

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats good, i suppose because you wouldnt last two days as a driver. And no, our job isnt to get sales leads. I dont believe we are called "sales leads provider"

How hard is it to write down a contact name and telephone number and submit that information to BD? BD cannot be everywhere all of the time so we are their eyes and ears on the street.

Tell you what--why don't you call one of your laid off co-workers and tell them that it's not your job to try to gain new volume so that he may be called back to work?

pretzel_man

The marketing dept has been run by an I.E. dinosaur for the past 10 years. And I doubt he was even an Engineer. He probably was just stuck in I.E. at some point. I wonder if he left because he failed the competency test. Too bad it took 10 years. Sales is run by a former Region Mgr, not a sales professional. This would be a very good place to start the upgrade.

A couple of people retired....

I wondered about one of them myself... When I last spoke with him, he was going to stay a couple more years. Then I heard he ritired...

I don't know if he did well in marketing or not... I do know that he is an outstanding individual. Maybe he didn't belong in that job. In his over 30 years, he did some amazing things for UPS. I have great respect for him.

Back to the point of this thread. I was led to believe that the corporate marketing layoffs were people that didn't pass the test and / or not performing.

The upgrade is certainly needed.

P-Man

Last edited by a moderator:

spankyup

mister blister
As a 34 yr driver my reluctance to do leads comes from our sales team failing to follow up...Then that customer begins to have great dislike for me and I have no power to get him a UPS shipping account....I now tell them to call 800 # and will promise nothing...Its been a bad situation for some time...hope it improves

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a 34 yr driver my reluctance to do leads comes from our sales team failing to follow up...Then that customer begins to have great dislike for me and I have no power to get him a UPS shipping account....I now tell them to call 800 # and will promise nothing...Its been a bad situation for some time...hope it improves
Anybody can get a UPS Shipping Account. Go to UPS.com and open one up tonight.
https://www.ups.com/myups/login?ret...S&WT.svl=PNRO_L1&reasonCode=-1&appid=OPENACCT

spankyup

mister blister
Do you think I would have posted if that had been true before...Go face your customers on a daily basis and the real world and the truth is a real educator.

bad company

semi-pro

I sadly have to agree. The process is flawed and needs some serious evaluation and scrutiny. There were several leads that I submitted where I spoke to the decision maker of the company and they were genuinely interested in hearing what UPS could offer. Unfortunately, many of them were closed as "unable to contact customer". But then when I log into SLIM and investigate further, I see that our sales team attempted to contact the customer before or after business hours. Why would we attempt to contact a customer at 6:30 pm when we know normal business hours are usually 8-5?

But I really found out how bad the system works when I submitted a lead for myself... for a personal shipping account. They closed it the first time I entered it, saying they needed a company name, even though I made it clear that there was no company name and that it was a personal account. So I resubmit the lead. It is closed again as "unable to contact". That's funny, because I was never contacted, and I verified that the contact information was correct. Finally got a local SSR to create an account for me and give me credit for the sold lead after 2 weeks of trying. That's unacceptable. We will not grow the business this way.

Hoax, I know it's easy for someone to setup an account online, but our customers want to talk to a representative and compare our services and prices to those of FedEx. When a driver finally gets a customer to give UPS the time of day (which could be months or years of polite yet persistent communication ), and to agree to listen to what we as a company have to offer, the follow-up process is crucial in obtaining the potential new account or additional volume. So when we drivers tell them that a sales representative will be in touch with them, that's what should happen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I sadly have to agree. The process is flawed and needs some serious evaluation and scrutiny. There were several leads that I submitted where I spoke to the decision maker of the company and they were genuinely interested in hearing what UPS could offer. Unfortunately, many of them were closed as "unable to contact customer". But then when I log into SLIM and investigate further, I see that our sales team attempted to contact the customer before or after business hours. Why would we attempt to contact a customer at 6:30 pm when we know normal business hours are usually 8-5?

But I really found out how bad the system works when I submitted a lead for myself... for a personal shipping account. They closed it the first time I entered it, saying they needed a company name, even though I made it clear that there was no company name and that it was a personal account. So I resubmit the lead. It is closed again as "unable to contact". That's funny, because I was never contacted, and I verified that the contact information was correct. Finally got a local SSR to create an account for me and give me credit for the sold lead after 2 weeks of trying. That's unacceptable. We will not grow the business this way.

Hoax, I know it's easy for someone to setup an account online, but our customers want to talk to a representative and compare our services and prices to those of FedEx. When a driver finally gets a customer to give UPS the time of day (which could be months or years of polite yet persistent communication ), and to agree to listen to what we as a company have to offer, the follow-up process is crucial in obtaining the potential new account or additional volume. So when we drivers tell them that a sales representative will be in touch with them, that's what should happen.

Can't argue with any of that.

airbusfxr

The pilot layoffs will cause the most service failures ever. UPS will cause cusomers to move to FDX just as they did in '97. The pilot's union has stated that no one will fly OT and now that managers will be put on the spot of picking up trips. This move by UPS for cost cutting will come back to create problems for all employees and customers.

island1fox

The pilot layoffs will cause the most service failures ever. UPS will cause cusomers to move to FDX just as they did in '97. The pilot's union has stated that no one will fly OT and now that managers will be put on the spot of picking up trips. This move by UPS for cost cutting will come back to create problems for all employees and customers.

airbusfxr,
Dear pilot --I know that many of you live in LA- LA land. Most UPS employees --Teamsters and Management realize the difficult situation the company is in. Ups is in the process of letting go or buying out thousands of their top management people. Unreasonable, unrealistic demands now compounded by threats of service failures caused by "slowdowns" will do nothing further to management --but will only lead to more Teamster layoffs and further pilot cuts --what does it take to wake some people up ?--the day of the "prima donnas" is long gone !!!:angry:
People are not satisfied with a secure job with great pay and benefits --and will spitefully attempt to divert volume to a non -union company comes down to self destruction. !! When does it stop ? When you get laid off ??

randomUPSISer

airbusfxr,
Dear pilot --I know that many of you live in LA- LA land. Most UPS employees --Teamsters and Management realize the difficult situation the company is in. Ups is in the process of letting go or buying out thousands of their top management people. Unreasonable, unrealistic demands now compounded by threats of service failures caused by "slowdowns" will do nothing further to management --but will only lead to more Teamster layoffs and further pilot cuts --what does it take to wake some people up ?--the day of the "prima donnas" is long gone !!!:angry:
People are not satisfied with a secure job with great pay and benefits --and will spitefully attempt to divert volume to a non -union company comes down to self destruction. !! When does it stop ? When you get laid off ??

On the other end of that stick... what would you expect them to do? Sit and take it like all the non-union UPS workers have? What perceived benefit is there for them in having a union if they respond the same way as the non-union people? It may help, it may not. Certainly the strike in 97 got UPS's attention, at least for a couple years anyway. I cant say I'm surprised the pilots are "mad". They made concessions by switching to part time flying to avoid this scenario. Then, as you would expect, UPS is doing it anyway while claiming that its hurting. Last I looked, our financials are looking WONDERFUL, and have been improving year and year. Sure the total dollar amount of lower, but the percentage seems to be increasing.

island1fox

On the other end of that stick... what would you expect them to do? Sit and take it like all the non-union UPS workers have? What perceived benefit is there for them in having a union if they respond the same way as the non-union people? It may help, it may not. Certainly the strike in 97 got UPS's attention, at least for a couple years anyway. I cant say I'm surprised the pilots are "mad". They made concessions by switching to part time flying to avoid this scenario. Then, as you would expect, UPS is doing it anyway while claiming that its hurting. Last I looked, our financials are looking WONDERFUL, and have been improving year and year. Sure the total dollar amount of lower, but the percentage seems to be increasing.

random,
Keep drinking the kool aid ----rpp vs cpp has been tracking the wrong way for many years . Cutting at the VP level is a very drastic step.
What are they supposed to do ???? Unlike the close to 10% of American's that have no jobs at all --they should be happy to have what they have now !! This is not hard to understand ---Union demands and threats --a time and place for everything ---here and now --not the time nor place.
With slow downs or any thing that will cause volume diversion ---Who will benefit ? Who will lose ??:sad-little:
I guess the face will survive after I cut my nose off ????

randomUPSISer

random,
Keep drinking the kool aid ----rpp vs cpp has been tracking the wrong way for many years . Cutting at the VP level is a very drastic step.
What are they supposed to do ???? Unlike the close to 10% of American's that have no jobs at all --they should be happy to have what they have now !! This is not hard to understand ---Union demands and threats --a time and place for everything ---here and now --not the time nor place.
With slow downs or any thing that will cause volume diversion ---Who will benefit ? Who will lose ??:sad-little:
I guess the face will survive after I cut my nose off ????

Are you so sure that we arent "cutting at the VP level" because the new CEO realized how incredibly top heavy UPS is and decided to do something about it? As much as I have harped on Davis on here, I have to admit some respect for him chopping corporate functions and even up to VP level positions while also chopping lower level employees.

Personally? I don't think we need to layoff the union guys to get this accomplished. Laying off VP's isn't so much about "saving the company" as it is about "growing profit margins and removing bureaucracy" as far as I can tell.

At least the pilots aren't out purchasing billboards on highly traveled interstates saying they are going to shut down UPS like certain other labor union groups within UPS ;)

Personally I expect absolutely nothing will happen and that the pilots are playing "who's got the bigger dlck" games with the company. I highly highly doubt they strike over this, therefor their power really is limited. If you were the union leadership though with a bunch of rank and file members complaining you HAVE to at least make some empty threats to make it look like you are "going to do something about it" for them. Everyone looks out for their own interest, and the IPA leadership are looking out for their positions at the head of the IPA.

airbusfxr

What I am saying is that we will not have enough pilots to fly trips. When the first full aircraft sits with volume and no one to fly it because everyone is already working, what will happen.

D

Dis-organized Labor

What I am saying is that we will not have enough pilots to fly trips. When the first full aircraft sits with volume and no one to fly it because everyone is already working, what will happen.

Airbuser: It's a simple ratio. You claim to have been a UPSer for 20+ years.....Certainly you understand what we've been doing for the last 22+ years. Cutting, shaving, etc. in an effort to become more effeicient (please don't go off on that). Lean is good for the Corporation, but truly not good for the indiviuals affected by it. Aircrat Maintenance isn't that hard, c'mon..the airplane tells you what it needs. Old fart like me had to actually read the D&O of the MM and then find the Lead to tell me what he thought. We can't treat it as a Hobby and we'rer Paul Allen. Recall my comments of "Down stream" recipoients of late airplanes??
Can you PLEASE reply that you understand Business Plans???? We cannot survive as an Organinization with the "WE want more, more, more because we made a profit" model you profess.
OK, You're a hard line Union Guy and that's good for the Members. What about the rest of us???
I know a Sup that works 12+ hours a day. I mean, actually works (not that you don't), but decisions that could burn you big time and not make service have hammered him/her....That's life outside the Airline.

Too bad SKYKING/BIRDMAN got banished. I was looking forward to meeting you and any 2727/BC person that showed up at Stooges.

Maybe after the Strike...:peaceful:

airbusfxr

We are headed to a strike if your buddy the Warden keeps up this pay cut thing. We have worked to provide customer service and it is time for payment. We are not asking for the world, just a fair contract.

hudson

How hard is it to write down a contact name and telephone number and submit that information to BD? BD cannot be everywhere all of the time so we are their eyes and ears on the street.

Tell you what--why don't you call one of your laid off co-workers and tell them that it's not your job to try to gain new volume so that he may be called back to work?
Amen. I think there seems to be some confusion when it comes to sales leads. Drivers do not need to try and sell anything, talk to decision makers, "do the sales reps job". All we are asking is for the drivers to identify competitor volume by submitting a valid sales lead. Nothing else, it's that simple. If a driver is experiencing a problem with BD following up on a sales lead, let your manager know. Your manager will contact the BD manager and it will be taken care of. I know some drivers are going to post how they did all this and still nothing happened. Please do not get discouraged and keep submitting valid leads.

evildoer

It's pretty amazing that this actually shocks people that work for this company?

You think this is a bad way to treat people? This shade of brown gets quite a few shades darker on the operations side.

SouthCal

Where to start..."your" drivers were picking them up before they got suspended...send a message to driver and have them make the pick up...isn't that the drivers job? To make deliveries and pick ups?

Spend a week on car? Your crazy. If the job is too tough for "your" drivers they can quit. No one is forcing them to work at UPS.

Sales leads are done electronically now. No more paper. Every heard of the SLIM website? Rookie...

Yes, but because their sales rep already promised them that they'd be picked up after the driver has left the area and is already on the freeway returning to the building. This creates a problem that didn't exist before that phone call came in. I don't think it's unrealistic to tell the customer "Hey, you know what, I'm sure you've got packages going that you need to get out, but, due to this issue, we're not going to be able to pick this up today because it's so late in the afternoon." It may look bad, but it's not nearly as bad as promising the customer we'd get them picked up today and it's 4:56 in the afternoon and the driver is already on his way in to the building and the customer's pick up is at 3:30. If it's that urgent, they should have paid their bill. I was raised with the school of thought "A crisis on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part." Sales Reps should quit telling customers what they want to hear and tell them the damned truth for a change.

I'm not crazy, I'm realistic. I know that the driver's job isn't that easy. It's even more difficult when I have a sales rep that calls me at 5pm and tells me that they promised a customer that we would pick them up today after they just paid their suspended account to current not 5 minutes ago. A sales rep that doesn't contact a customer when they say they will, or we have to submit the same lead mulitple after putting it into SLIM because of improper handling on their end. I feel like our sales department is like an oily car salesman. Tells you anything you want to hear in order to get you to buy that car. Especially if he knows that engine is going to fail the day after. Our sales reps are no different. Account suspended? Sure, pay it up now and I'll have the driver come back right now. Doesn't work that way in real life.

D

Dis-organized Labor

We are headed to a strike if your buddy the Warden keeps up this pay cut thing. We have worked to provide customer service and it is time for payment. We are not asking for the world, just a fair contract.

So now you're an expert in Corporate affairs?