could this be a case of falsification of records

NHDRVR

They get paid for their dispatch not hours worked. The runners/gunners make a killing.

No kidding...So a driver will get a base pay, for example, on a 9 hour day and if they finish in 7 then they can punch out with the 9 hours in the paycheck? I can't help but think they are getting screwed on the sporhs... the drivers I mean

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No kidding...So a driver will get a base pay, for example, on a 9 hour day and if they finish in 7 then they can punch out with the 9 hours in the paycheck? I can't help but think they are getting screwed on the sporhs... the drivers I mean

Hopefully some of the drivers in bonus centers can give us more details but that is my understanding. I can remember it being called California dispatch.

In my opinion the customer gets screwed in bonus centers.

Hopefully some of the drivers in bonus centers can give us more details but that is my understanding. I can remember it being called California dispatch.

How would the customer get screwed? If all packages are delivered, the customer got what they paid for.

If you have a 10 dispatch and do it in 8.5 hours (yeah right) the driver would be paid:

8hrs straight time for the guarantee + .5 overtime + 1 hour straight time for the bonus. I have heard some drivers say the were paid time and 1/2 for bonus time also, but not here.

however, given the same 10 hour dispatch, if the driver takes 10 hours to run the route, they are paid 8 hours straight time + 2 OT @ 1 1/2 time. So the claim that runner/gunners make a killing isn't totally true, they actually make less than a scratch driver. The advantage to getting bonus is that (as in the first formula) the driver is getting an hours strt time pay while he is driving home.

BTW, both scenarios assume the driver is taking his full meal time before clocking out.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I can still make an hour bonus on a good day. (with a lunch break). Haven't screwed a customer yet. The bonus guys that have their own route generally work fast without screwing the customer. The same cannot be said for some of the un-assigned cover gunners. Cleaning up after them can be a challange.

Dustyroads

Here's how bonus works here: you are paid your dispatch time if you run under-allowed. Everything beyond 8 hours is paid at time and a half. If you run over-allowed, you will be paid time and a half for actual time worked after 8 hours. Our center runs under-allowed every day. Some drivers work 2 or 3 hours under, a very few are overallowed. There are quite a few that run just about standards every day, a few hundredths one way or another. Some of the under-allowed can be attributed to moving fast, on foot or at the wheel. Great area knowledge can help a driver make some bonus. Some can be attributed to making particular pick-ups that have great allowances, or have a lot of smalls, or maybe ones that have three or four guys that help the driver load his pick-ups. Four guys can load 800 pieces pretty quickly, using the fire brigade method. Personally, I am surprised that the company has maintained bonus, considering the hard times. But, as I say, the bonus centers all run under-allowed every day.

SWORDFISH

Here's how bonus works here: you are paid your dispatch time if you run under-allowed. Everything beyond 8 hours is paid at time and a half. If you run over-allowed, you will be paid time and a half for actual time worked after 8 hours. Our center runs under-allowed every day. Some drivers work 2 or 3 hours under, a very few are overallowed. There are quite a few that run just about standards every day, a few hundredths one way or another. Some of the under-allowed can be attributed to moving fast, on foot or at the wheel. Great area knowledge can help a driver make some bonus. Some can be attributed to making particular pick-ups that have great allowances, or have a lot of smalls, or maybe ones that have three or four guys that help the driver load his pick-ups. Four guys can load 800 pieces pretty quickly, using the fire brigade method. Personally, I am surprised that the company has maintained bonus, considering the hard times. But, as I say, the bonus centers all run under-allowed every day.

Not true Our center is a bonus center and we dont run under allowed. Very few people can make bonus and not every day. I wish we got time and a half bonus after 8hrs. All of our bonus time is straight time but it doesnt really matter cuz the only way anyone makes bonus is to skip breaks and sort on lunch.

Dustyroads

Not true Our center is a bonus center and we dont run under allowed. Very few people can make bonus and not every day. I wish we got time and a half bonus after 8hrs. All of our bonus time is straight time but it doesnt really matter cuz the only way anyone makes bonus is to skip breaks and sort on lunch.
You must have missed the first sentence, "Here's how bonus works HERE".

SWORDFISH

You must have missed the first sentence, "Here's how bonus works HERE".

My fault I was keying on your last sentence that I must have took out of context.

"But, as I say, the bonus centers all run under-allowed every day."

I took that as meaning all of them everywhere.

Dustyroads

We've had bonus over 20 years, it was voted out for a couple years in the center of that span and then voted back in. They have always offered time and a half for over 8 dispatch on the bonus here. And, that incentive has always proved to be enough to produce some pretty amazing results, at least on paper. I'm, personally, not a big fan of the system, but, so far, no one from corporate has contacted me to get my opinion of the program. I used to, mentally, keep track of those kind of statistics, just as a hobby. For example, on a particular day in OUR center, with 40 drivers on the street, 35 drivers ran bonus, 5 didn't; the best performing driver ran 2.53 hours under-allowed, the worst performer was .79 of an hour over-allowed. If I recall, the center ran 34.94 hours under-allowed for the day. Numbers really don't mean much to me, but I have this uncanny ability to recall ones that I see. I can see how it would be an impressive statistic to someone who put much value on numbers. As for the final sentence, I apologize for its inclusion, it should have read, OUR bonus center runs under-allowed every day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I can still make an hour bonus on a good day. (with a lunch break). Haven't screwed a customer yet. The bonus guys that have their own route generally work fast without screwing the customer. The same cannot be said for some of the un-assigned cover gunners. Cleaning up after them can be a challange.

Hey, now wait a minute there mister....................................................:wink2:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Whatever happened to SOFs'? (Signature On File) Every consignee who signed a SOF sheet (maintained at the center level), had that info in the DIAD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tex, what I meant was that the customer's may not get the level of service that they otherwise would if the driver were not focused solely on the size of his paycheck. Would the driver be willing to come back for a pickup that is not quite ready? Would he be willing to make a 2nd attempt on a send again?

Tex, what I meant was that the customer's may not get the level of service that they otherwise would if the driver were not focused solely on the size of his paycheck. Would the driver be willing to come back for a pickup that is not quite ready? Would he be willing to make a 2nd attempt on a send again?
Still doesn't make sense, as long as they get what they pay for they aren't getting screwed. They don't pay for extra trips to do a pickup or a second delivery attempt.
Plus if the size of the paycheck is the sole reason, think again. A driver running scratch is making more money that a driver running bonus.

born2Bwild

Ok I have read all of your responses. either way it is on UPS this claim. The recipient CAN prove that he was out of town easily

This isn't a matter of proving anything. This is a routine follow up (tracer). Happens every day, driver may or may not have made a mistake. He will get the follow up, once tracing dept reviews information, and hopefully he can remember the circumstances.
From your above post, seems like this fiancee hopes the pkg is not found. JMO....
I don't know if you are a manager with loose control over your center or a permissible FT supervisor or even driver with habitual bad habit, bad signing customer name is fraud and falsifications of record. This is nono and will get you fired if proven. You don't know what is in the package it could a worthless items to jewelery and ammo. As far as the fiancee not hoping the package to be found, well this is just your opinion.I hope you don't throw away customer packages or even take them home because it is your opinion that customer does not cares for them. at this time she is exhausting all proper steps into resolving this claim.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok I have read all of your responses. either way it is on UPS this claim. The recipient CAN prove that he was out of town easily

This isn't a matter of proving anything. This is a routine follow up (tracer). Happens every day, driver may or may not have made a mistake. He will get the follow up, once tracing dept reviews information, and hopefully he can remember the circumstances.
From your above post, seems like this fiancee hopes the pkg is not found. JMO....

I think it is safe to say that anytime a driver chooses to cheat on the way he completes a delivery he will "remember the cirumstances" if caught. Its funny how when they hand you that driver follow-up it all comes flashing back. :happy2: I was guilty of it myself once or twice.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
I don't know if you are a manager with loose control over your center or a permissible FT supervisor or even driver with habitual bad habit, bad signing customer name is fraud and falsifications of record. This is nono and will get you fired if proven. You don't know what is in the package it could a worthless items to jewelery and ammo. As far as the fiancee not hoping the package to be found, well this is just your opinion.I hope you don't throw away customer packages or even take them home because it is your opinion that customer does not cares for them. at this time she is exhausting all proper steps into resolving this claim.

OK I stand corrected - the fiancee does care to get pkg back - what about you??? You seem more interested in justice against driver, who no one on this site has spoken to...
I've been around a long time.... have seen alot of funky things when it comes to driver followups (tracers) - the stories and schemes that some customers have come up with are numerous. Let me be clear, I am not saying this is the case here. Just giving you some of my experiences.

Who I am and what I do is irrelevant here, the driver involved and the results of his followup are. By now, I'm sure the driver has received paperwork, so there must be some results of his investigation. And if the pkg was mis-delivered, maybe in this gated community the honest unintended consignee will return the package to the fiancee.