Country Bound

quad decade guy

Yeah yeah a work transfer. I’m losing building seniority but keep company years. They’re hiring six drivers right now and as soon as I start I’ll have those six drivers under me because they’ll all still be on probation while I’m already well past vested.
Oh...man. Not the ultimate sacrifice but painful. At least you only gave up seniority and didn't have to start completely over like here. But then you couldn't pay me to live in California. Period. Too bad Californian refugees are poring in here faster than illegal aliens....well, I guess the damage is the same.

ManInBrown

I’m so jealous of the western region transfer rules. Where I am I can transfer to three different buildings. All within 50 miles. One is a bigger sheethole then the next.

ManInBrown

Transfer. Honestly I kind of gave up on the idea. I didn’t think it would ever happen but got the call on Monday. Report to work at the new building May 4th. The center has 30 drivers total. I’m so excited
Lake Tahoe? So you’re in Vegas? If you say return home without bulletholes you must deliver in North Las Vegas

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I haven’t rang a doorbell past sunset in years. People in the city don’t like that either. Hide the pkg from plain view and move on.
If you deliver in a small town as well as in the country, make sure you deliver any out of town stops or stops on high speed roads before dark. It’s a little difficult trying to find house numbers on trees, rocks, fence posts, etc. in the dark. In town addresses are usually easier to see. Definitely a bright flashlight as someone already mentioned. And a shovel.

MAKAVELI

If you deliver in a small town as well as in the country, make sure you deliver any out of town stops or stops on high speed roads before dark. It’s a little difficult trying to find house numbers on trees, rocks, fence posts, etc. in the dark. In town addresses are usually easier to see. Definitely a bright flashlight as someone already mentioned. And a shovel.
He's in California, not some boondocks back east. :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

why would I voluntarily transfer elsewhere to commute? The whole point of transferring is to relocate.

Not necessarily. Suppose you had applied for a job near your home but at the time there were no openings so you applied and were hired for a job at a center further away. You kept your eyes open for vacancies at the center closer to your home and put in for the transfer when an opening existed.

Thead Shi

If you deliver in a small town as well as in the country, make sure you deliver any out of town stops or stops on high speed roads before dark
Very solid advice here. Top senior driver at our center had a pickup on a busy highway last stop of everyday and its such a pain in the ass to get back on the road that he bitched until it got moved to cut routes.

Also, those big rig drivers are in more of a hurry then ever now a days and like to ride your ass if you are going too slow in front of them. Its not a fun position to be in if you have a delivery on the road and trying to find the correct driveway because hes expecting you to speed up not slow down suddenly.

Nolimitz

That’s what I thought but he said he was staying in state and transferring to Lake Tahoe. Isn’t Lake Tahoe in Nevada?
there is 500 + miles between Tahoe and Vegas
data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x809b703f5e27f1a9:0x63ba323ef37bb379!2m2!1d-121.0610606!2d39.2190608!1m5!1m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3accd5e6d5b379a3!2m2!1d-115.1398296!2d36.1699412