Courier Base Rate Step Progression

dezguy

Food for thought. There are 25 year guys at my station who, when they started reached top out in 14 months, not 10 STEPS.

Someone earlier stated it could take 18-20 years to hit top out, in which case, many of the 10-15 year guys would pretty much be at the end of their career. Sad.

BootsOnTarmac

Until FedEx puts out the OFFICIAL pay increase, market level changes, step change / progression, and proven on our paychecks, it's just pissing in the ocean and watching the water rise. Show me the money, otherwise it's all just blabber from managers and those who think they are in the know.

vantexan

Food for thought. There are 25 year guys at my station who, when they started reached top out in 14 months, not 10 STEPS.

Someone earlier stated it could take 18-20 years to hit top out, in which case, many of the 10-15 year guys would pretty much be at the end of their career. Sad.
My mgr, discussing the new raises in our morning meeting, said newhires will now top out in 10 years instead of 32 years. I think she's right on the money. Have never understood why 20 years keeps being thrown around. I was at $18.17 after 14 years, wasn't going to make up the last $6+ in 6 years.

vantexan

I have lots of options! FedEx isn't the only job in the world, folks.
True, but most aren't in a position to get the relatively few better paying jobs out there. Or see the need to start all over somewhere else when they're working on their pension here and have 4 weeks of vacation. And as I've stated before for most large companies to succeed they need most employees to be willing to accept less. Our economy literally falls apart if they don't. Determined people who get the right skills and training, especially a college education, can find something better. But if the masses try, there just isn't enough of those jobs. Most people settle for whatever they get.

vantexan

Must be different in Canada. I started at the Memphis Hub in '86, became a courier in '88. Took 23 months to top out then.

dezguy

My mgr, discussing the new raises in our morning meeting, said newhires will now top out in 10 years instead of 32 years. I think she's right on the money. Have never understood why 20 years keeps being thrown around. I was at $18.17 after 14 years, wasn't going to make up the last $6+ in 6 years.
Everything I have seen posted here states it is a ten step plan, not ten year.

We all know that FedEx will use any excuse to not give a raise and I suspect, that after a couple of years of raises, they'll come up with an excuse to not give a raise, one year and then the year after that, and the year after that until they're forced to again due to turnover.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
True, but most aren't in a position to get the relatively few better paying jobs out there. Or see the need to start all over somewhere else when they're working on their pension here and have 4 weeks of vacation.

In that case, FedEx sounds like a keeper.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In that case, FedEx sounds like a keeper.
rose-colored-glasses.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Your manager is probably lying...nothing new there. If it's truly a 10 year top-out vs. a 10 step top-out, why doesn't the company just say so?

Again, 10 years is still ridiculous.

vantexan

Your manager is probably lying...nothing new there. If it's truly a 10 year top-out vs. a 10 step top-out, why doesn't the company just say so?

Again, 10 years is still ridiculous.
Probably are using the step term because at the onset many couriers aren't going to need 10 years to reach top out. I see your point though, it gives the company an out if they freeze everyone on their step for a time due to bad market conditions. I know you think they'll do it even in perfect economic conditions but I really believe they have no choice as the young adults, many of whom believe they'll never see Social Security, aren't willing to stay and work hard if there's no reward for doing so. Don't discount the company's need to keep them happy. And at some point you've got to face facts that most companies now are stripping benefits and holding down pay. Unions are very weak these days. If FedEx offers a pay plan that gets people above $20hr in a few years it stays competitive with a lot of what's being offered out there. We may not like it, but it's a lot better than what they put up with 100+ years ago when unions were literally fighting and getting people killed for better conditions.

Purplepackage

Probably are using the step term because at the onset many couriers aren't going to need 10 years to reach top out. I see your point though, it gives the company an out if they freeze everyone on their step for a time due to bad market conditions. I know you think they'll do it even in perfect economic conditions but I really believe they have no choice as the young adults, many of whom believe they'll never see Social Security, aren't willing to stay and work hard if there's no reward for doing so. Don't discount the company's need to keep them happy. And at some point you've got to face facts that most companies now are stripping benefits and holding down pay. Unions are very weak these days. If FedEx offers a pay plan that gets people above $20hr in a few years it stays competitive with a lot of what's being offered out there. We may not like it, but it's a lot better than what they put up with 100+ years ago when unions were literally fighting and getting people killed for better conditions.

Your right alot of people wont need 10, its just ashame that someone who has been here 2 years will most likely be making almost 20 an hour after these raises, meanwhile a 10 year employee has been struggling just to hit 19

El Morado Diablo

Your right alot of people wont need 10, its just ashame that someone who has been here 2 years will most likely be making almost 20 an hour after these raises, meanwhile a 10 year employee has been struggling just to hit 19

When this was brought up in our meeting our SM basically said, "Timing is everything". It's just like the people who started after the 25+ year vets who maxed out in less than 2 years. It wasn't fair for them to take 10+ years to max (if at all).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No, they're using the "step" terminology because they absolutely don't want it to be in years. This way, they can stretch it out and play games with the "steps", continuing to screw us out of every penny possible.

In the event that Trump isn't President, look for much more labor-friendly court decisions and legislation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Do you really believe that given the history of this company? Very few employees will stick around to even get more than 2 or 3 "steps", and the fact that they've doubled-over the veterans should give you a clue.

I would fully expect all sorts of hoops and excuses when the "steps" are implemented, all to save the company money vs. having a realistic top-out of 5 years or less and a living wage at the base level.

As the oldsters retire, you're seeing a new generation of worker that doesn't like physical labor, is almost completely dependent on electronic guidance, and lacks critical thinking and self-management skills.

In other words, Fred is going to have a bunch of losers and Third Worlders as his employment pool. You're already seeing it in most stations, and they cannot perform the job with any degree of efficiency.