Current UPS culture

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
3ekcvuq914qy.gif

Rack em

Made the Podium
No they :censored2:ing can't. I've even gone to my union about it. They said there is nothing that can be done. Every local is different.
Your local doesn't interpret contract language very well then. It's black and white in the MASTER which supersedes supplement and rider language.

"Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this section provided: (1) the employee COVERS a route for a full week; (2) the employee BIDS or is ASSIGNED to COVER a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

PT Car Washer

Your local doesn't interpret contract language very well then. It's black and white in the MASTER which supersedes supplement and rider language.

"Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this section provided: (1) the employee COVERS a route for a full week; (2) the employee BIDS or is ASSIGNED to COVER a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.
Another BOG employee if you believe it works that way everywhere. No driver in progression has 9.5 protection in my Local.

DOK

Not all centers let cover drivers bid....at my center only the top 5 seniority cover drivers can bid. That means 40+ cover drivers are on a different route every day.

40+ cover drivers?! How many bid routes are available each year? Not to challenge your knowledge of the contract, but nothing in the agreement states anything about ‘top 5 seniority cover drivers’. Management is required to put up a list of vacations for the next week, drivers who did not bid on routes in January can bid on the work. You are able to file grievance if they deny your bid or take you off a route you were the top bidder for. But there is no cash pay out for the grievance (as far as I know).

That must be a local thing, here all cover drivers work as assigned every day, there’s no vacation bidding.

Brohn Bron

I've definitely have told new guys to pump the brakes. Take their lunches and breaks because they will be replaced faster than two clicks of a lambs tail if they're injured. But I've only been a UPSER for a little over a year so my advice doesn't carry much weight. You old heads have way more sway because you have the experience to back it up.

So I understand this, you’re a new guy? A new guy telling others to pump the brakes and take your lunch? I bet you’re a real peach when it gets heavy and someone comes to help you. In my neck of the woods, that’s a breakfast sandwich in the morning.

542thruNthru

Another BOG employee if you believe it works that way everywhere. No driver in progression has 9.5 protection in my Local.

No offense but your local is weak as hell anyways. You've told us that they even let supes work.

No where in the contract does it say a person in progression can not get on 9.5. We have 3 drivers in there 3rd year get on 9.5.

I understand everywhere is different but that is BS. It's national language. Not supplemental.

Hethatbeking

So I understand this, you’re a new guy? A new guy telling others to pump the brakes and take your lunch? I bet you’re a real peach when it gets heavy and someone comes to help you. In my neck of the woods, that’s a breakfast sandwich in the morning.
I became a real "peach" after my management team treated me like :censored2: after I reported that I'd strained a muscle in my back. Then they refused to pay temporary disability. I won that fight (after a union "representative" told me good luck) but yeah my motivation to "run" was sapped. On the bright side I wised up.

Last edited:

Brohn Bron

I became a real "peach" after my management team treated me like :censored2: after I reported that I'd strained a muscle in my back. Then they refused to pay temporary disability. I won that fight, but yeah my motivation to "run" was sapped. On the bright side I wised up.

I definitely don’t advocate running. No need to. Straining muscles in your back can happen all sorts of ways. Sorry to hear you got hurt but glad you won the fight.

OrionsBitch

Not...

Cover drivers are assigned routes day to day in my center. Only top 5 seniority cover drivers can bid routes for a week. So just stop.... you're wrong.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Cover drivers are assigned routes day to day in my center. Only top 5 seniority cover drivers can bid routes for a week.

Yep.

Central Region language:

"Each local may elect to follow this procedure for cover driver work assignment or continue the practice that presently exists in their local union area.

Bid coverage drivers shall be used to fill absenteeism, vacations, employees’ time off on disability or worker’s compensation, overflow work and volume fluctuations.

The Employer shall determine how many coverage jobs are needed in each package center in a building. These coverage jobs and any non-bid areas that run on a regular basis will be offered to the non-bid guaranteed employees in seniority order, as described in Article 12, Section 1, of this Supplemental Agreement, within that center. This area will then become their permanent area or job. Any area or coverage job, as described above that has not been selected shall be assigned."

The top 10% of the non-bid drivers, can bid weekly on open jobs.

The rest are assigned with some consideration for seniority.

-Bug-

Brownee

That must be a local thing, here all cover drivers work as assigned every day, there’s no vacation bidding.

Ha!!! I inquired about the vacation list this week. Eventually, it was revealed after me pressing the OMS staff that the list is kept "private" to keep the drivers from bitching. Really?

Zowert

The generation gap between drivers at my center is huge. I don’t kiss :censored2: but I’ll listen to the older veteran drivers, they know what they’re doing.