Current UPS culture

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
As a "young guy" (spent 10 years working for FDX Express) the work load we're expected to shoulder is ridiculous and I'm not sure why "older guys" crap on us. First, productivity expectations are way higher for us than for those who started before the "miracle" of online shopping truly took hold. Second, we are paying for your retirement so I wouldn't it be in your interest to 1) Educate those who never worked a unionized job. 2) Help us push back on the "work until you drop" culture that's promoted by the company which only leads to attrition by injury and will increase turnover which may destabilize long term pension benefits.
Ok I’ll help. Crash course! You ready?
1) Slow the friend down!
2) Stop giving a friend!

OrionsBitch

Not...
Young guys are usually cover drivers. Bid on vacation routes. That’s how you get staffed onto a route for the entire week. Go over 9.5 for 3 days, file grievance.
Not all centers let cover drivers bid....at my center only the top 5 seniority cover drivers can bid. That means 40+ cover drivers are on a different route every day.

Hethatbeking

Ok I’ll help. Crash course! You ready?
1) Slow the friend down!
2) Stop giving a friend!
Lol. Learned that at FDX. But hey you've got to understand that most guys or gals who are new to UPS have never worked at an unionized. Most have only worked at companies where management word was law so they don't realize they can say no.

Hethatbeking

Another thing "old timers" need to realize is that most folks (like 90%) who are donning the Browns for the first time having never worked a union job. They've only known work environments where anything management says goes. So when manager "A" tells the new guy that he is expected to deliver 250 stops in 10 hours with no lates or misses more often than not that new guy is going to listen and obey.

Hethatbeking

It's called a brotherhood for a reason. Brothers look out for each other and help each other. I'm not saying we have to pull the new guy aside right away but I believe you should educated each other when ever possible.

So I agree with you. It does make us stronger and I wish more teamsters would do it.
I've definitely have told new guys to pump the brakes. Take their lunches and breaks because they will be replaced faster than two clicks of a lambs tail if they're injured. But I've only been a UPSER for a little over a year so my advice doesn't carry much weight. You old heads have way more sway because you have the experience to back it up.

Brohn Bron

Not all centers let cover drivers bid....at my center only the top 5 seniority cover drivers can bid. That means 40+ cover drivers are on a different route every day.

40+ cover drivers?! How many bid routes are available each year? Not to challenge your knowledge of the contract, but nothing in the agreement states anything about ‘top 5 seniority cover drivers’. Management is required to put up a list of vacations for the next week, drivers who did not bid on routes in January can bid on the work. You are able to file grievance if they deny your bid or take you off a route you were the top bidder for. But there is no cash pay out for the grievance (as far as I know).

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yeah with half the stops....half the weight and dimensions boxes, without the monitoring, etc. You also didn't have to deal with customers as much back then....especially before FedEx.

Also: we all know the stories of guys cutting their lawn, going to movies, playing a few holes, going swimming etc while in the clock. You can't even drive more than a mile off route or go a minute over lunch without management breathing down your neck.

Ooooo no manual steering, a higher step...big :censored2:ing deal. I get that that wears in your body more but some of us "younger guys" still use some of those old :censored2:ty 700's.

When telemarics came out the caught thousands upon thousands of drivers just sitting around. Don't tell me you guys hard it harder.
Every generation has a story to tell.

Good and bad.

F

Frankie's Friend

Yeah with half the stops....half the weight and dimensions boxes, without the monitoring, etc. You also didn't have to deal with customers as much back then....especially before FedEx.

Also: we all know the stories of guys cutting their lawn, going to movies, playing a few holes, going swimming etc while in the clock. You can't even drive more than a mile off route or go a minute over lunch without management breathing down your neck.

Ooooo no manual steering, a higher step...big :censored2:ing deal. I get that that wears in your body more but some of us "younger guys" still use some of those old :censored2:ty 700's.

When telemarics came out the caught thousands upon thousands of drivers just sitting around. Don't tell me you guys hard it harder.
It's definitely worse now.

I'd love to see them put an old P10 on a metro route that has the 22" step and no power steering. Heck, you'd lose 4 stops an hour just trying to park it somewhere close to the stop.

Barely got the cart out the side door too.

Nah, it's harder now. But you've gotta be smarter and do all the methods to save your joints.

Hethatbeking

Working conditions were not better. Half of these guys don’t know what’s it’s like to drive a car with no power steering, a high first step that met my knee cap, and i am 6ft, and a stick. That is crappy working conditions, not to mention we did everything on paper.
What was your average daily stop count?

Hethatbeking

It really doesn't matter. If this new contract gets cotws in all the new drivers will be screwed forever

.you can thank Dennis...
Well we have an opportunity to make things different right? If we continue to vote for contracts that :censored2: our future "brothers" then we really can't blame Dennis or the company, can we?

In2Deep?

Run Orion
Take your lunch and breaks in between third and sixth hour per contract.
File 9.5 grievances.
Non bid drivers request 8 hour requests as often as possible.

It gives them less options to push packages if you can get your whole center on board. The hard part is talking sense to maniacs that are sick enough to stay with this company for as long as they have.

The culture is sickening. They are in the business of conforming us into thinking getting off 7pm or later is ok. Most centers are 50 drivers vs 3 supervisors. The fact they are able to divide and concor so easily and most drivers have no idea it’s happening.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Young guys bitch about long hours and then Old guys bitch at them for bitching because when they were younger they had worse working conditions.

Then those same old guys bitch at the younger guys for not getting involved in the Union and protesting/being active in demanding better working conditions.

Not saying it's me, just an observation.....either help the younger generation or don't. But don't bite the hand that's going to be responsible for the future if this company. Just my two cents.
If your point is that UPS Drivers are bitches, we'll done!