Customers that tick you off when it comes to COD

CHALLY9TX

I LOVE when customers get a certified check/money order for the wrong amount. Or they're off by 1 cent. Them: BUT ILL GIVE YOU THE PENNY! ME: Sorry. See you tomorrow. Sometimes the shipper gives the receiver the incorrect amount though. That is annoying also.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cementups

Box Monkey
Was only 1 of the ten cod? If so next time deliver the 9 and keep the cod pkg till next day. You are not required to get a check for entire shipment. Only the packages marked cod. Shippers try and skate past the surcharge per cod package.

Yes and no. If a multi-package shipment comes thru with say 10 packages and only one has the COD amount your scenario is correct IF each package is marked 1 of 1. Now if the packages say 1 of 10, 4 of 10, etc., then the customer isn't getting a single package until I get a check.

BTW, 90% of the time I don't even take the packages out of the truck before attempting to collect the COD. I will just go into the business and let them know the amount and if they are ready to pay then I will bring them in. If I can pull an invoice off the box then I will give them that to see what they are getting. NO way in hell are the opening any of the boxes before they pay AND sign.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Shoot, I used to have a motorcycle shop that was always busy when I showed up. The owner, who I knew pretty well, told me to just get his checkbook out and write them myself.

Easy!

CHALLY9TX

Yes and no. If a multi-package shipment comes thru with say 10 packages and only one has the COD amount your scenario is correct IF each package is marked 1 of 1. Now if the packages say 1 of 10, 4 of 10, etc., then the customer isn't getting a single package until I get a check.

BTW, 90% of the time I don't even take the packages out of the truck before attempting to collect the COD. I will just go into the business and let them know the amount and if they are ready to pay then I will bring them in. If I can pull an invoice off the box then I will give them that to see what they are getting. NO way in hell are the opening any of the boxes before they pay AND sign.

This is incorrect. It may be that the customer has already paid for 9 boxes out of 10 and not 1. That's why in a multiple shipment cod every single box has to have a cod amount. If not then deliver the 9.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
This is incorrect. It may be that the customer has already paid for 9 boxes out of 10 and not 1. That's why in a multiple shipment cod every single box has to have a cod amount. If not then deliver the 9.

Sent using BrownCafe App
or the shipper is skimping out on charges, which should be placed on all boxes per shipment

Cementups

Box Monkey

Sent using BrownCafe App

I work as directed and my management team had explained it to me the way I said it to you.

PT Car Washer

I agree with everything but the coming back the same day. One attempt per day. Now if the COD was only on one package, that is the only one that needs a check.
If it is not out of my way and it means I can get rid of it that day and not have to deal with it the next day. Some shops you know they will not pay on delivery and will SDWC.

Johney

How do you sheet the other 9 packages? You can not put NM1,2,3 w/o a $ amount.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I LOVE when customers get a certified check/money order for the wrong amount. Or they're off by 1 cent. Them: BUT ILL GIVE YOU THE PENNY! ME: Sorry. See you tomorrow. Sometimes the shipper gives the receiver the incorrect amount though. That is annoying also.

Sent using BrownCafe App

You turn down a certified check because it is off by a penny? Really??

We are allowed to accept overpayment of any amount and underpayment if it is within $1.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the shipper did not want the other 9 packages delivered they would have either put an approved "Deliver With COD Only" sticker or spread out the COD total over all 10 packages. Beyond that, you can deliver the prepaids even if they don't pay for the COD.

upschuck

If the shipper did not want the other 9 packages delivered they would have either put an approved "Deliver With COD Only" sticker or spread out the COD total over all 10 packages. Beyond that, you can deliver the prepaids even if they don't pay for the COD.
I've been told both ways, but last time was to not deliver the non cod's. I never go by non-UPS approved labels.

ArcherUTR

How do you sheet the other 9 packages? You can not put NM1,2,3 w/o a $ amount.

I'll use the pkg info soft key where you can then find the COD softkey. I'll put a 1cent COD on each of the other 9 pkgs and sheet them up as NM1. This method is good to know how to do when you get those funky manual COD packages in red ink. I only see them a couple of times of year.

Or use the NR1 softkey.

ArcherUTR

I'll use the pkg info soft key where you can then find the COD softkey. I'll put a 1cent COD on each of the other 9 pkgs and sheet them up as NM1. This method is good to know how to do when you get those funky manual COD packages in red ink. I only see those type of COD's a couple of times of year.

Or use the NR1 softkey.