Deferred Delivery Coming

JustDeliverIt

I am sure this could be a topic of conversation at the next union meeting on the 23 of April ---it will be interesting what is going to be said by the union

Union can’t tell the company how to run the business, even when they’re doing it poorly. Unions job is to negotiate and represent the workers. I’m sure everyone will have an opinion but it’s managements job to operate as they see fit.

That depends on what supplement you are covered by.

Central Region Article 12 section 7.

"Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work. Any full-time employee reporting to work and not put to work shall receive six (6) hours’ guarantee."

In NorCal we also have 40hr/wk guarantee (for 5 days) and if you are laid off then called in they must work you the rest of the week.

That is the answer I was looking for because that's exactly what I was thinking. What on earth would be the benefit of trying to slow down the network now. All they ever preach is that the customer wants it faster and we have to keep up with the competition that's already providing that. That's why they fought so hard for Saturdays and behind closed doors they want Sunday too. So the message that they want to go back to the dumpster fire of rural remote just doesn't compute but never underestimate the cubicle computer screen warriors who will try anything to spend a dollar to save a dime and wreck a network in the blink of an eye....
Agree. But the “extreme” rural (mgmt’s old term) isn’t that many pkgs but a lot of costs. They may be willing to eat the small bad PR with shippers and keep them by pointing to the otherwise excellent service on the other 98% of their packages.

And it’s not like the competition is going to be falling over themselves to get that unprofitable rural business!

There are lots of routes in the Dakotas going out with 40-60 stops, and 250-350 miles. Once in a while, you'll see a route with 30 stops, and 300 miles. Some of them end up 80 or 90 miles from the center at their furthest point. Those routes do nothing but bleed money, and I can see the appeal of dropping service from entire areas twice a week.

But I think there's a few problems that would keep that from being successful: (1) perishable food and medicine, (2) most of those package cars are really small, and can't hold two days worth of volume, (3) you're going to end up with 13 1/2 hour days following the days off.

A better approach would be to cut off specific stops, rather than whole zip codes. There are days that getting rid of four stops can shave off 30 miles. Do that enough places, and three routes traveling in a particular direction become two. But that approach would only work if local supervisors/dispatchers were trusted (and empowered) to do their jobs.
Well said. Several centers in my area also have routes like that. A couple of them end over 100 miles from the center and deadhead all the way back. There are single stops that are more than an hour round-trip. A few well selected deferred stops in a day can save a lot of time without having to cut a route. But who has a dispatcher, so keen, so incredibly gifted, so willing to dedicate the time to understanding that could successfully fulfill that mission?

Pfft.

That’s how we did it the last time it wasn’t whole zip codes it was just the runners that you had nothing else close by
Yeah, but they screwed that up constantly. Customers were regularly calling, saying I just saw the UPS driver go by and I know he has my package, but he went to my neighbor instead, and you rolled mine!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Looks like my route is getting cut twice a week. Had to break it to one daily pickup that his packages aren’t getting picked up 40% of the week. That was a fun conversation. I made sure he had the center manager’s cell number before I left.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Looks like my route is getting cut twice a week. Had to break it to one daily pickup that his packages aren’t getting picked up 40% of the week. That was a fun conversation. I made sure he had the center manager’s cell number before I left.
Just found out about this? So the other two days you're just a high seniority cover driver or what?

Commercial Inside Release

Delivery Area Surcharge - Congested Area UPS applies this surcharge to packages going to ZIP codes they deem congested, such as a tall skyscraper that takes them a very long time to ride the elevator up while they get a traffic ticket on the curb outside, though this is a rare case.

Delivery Area Surcharge - Rural UPS imposes this surcharge on ZIP codes they consider "rural," meaning it takes their carriers a long time to drive there and make the delivery.

Delivery Area Surcharge - Super Rural UPS applies the Super Rural Delivery Area Surcharge to packages going to ZIP codes they deem "extra rural," such as a farm without any neighbors for miles. This surcharge also applies to UPS pickups from those same ZIP codes.

Variable amounts generally under $10. Even with fuel surcharge for inflated energy costs, it is barely worth it.