Delegates remove 2/3rds language.

Big Rigger

I vaguely remember as a kid, during the strike, driving past the UPS building I would eventually start at in package. There was a lot of people on the picket line. Cops were there. It was a commotion.
Screenshot_20210108-073515.png
Screenshot_20210108-073506.png
Screenshot_20210108-073451~2.png
Screenshot_20210108-073458.png

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Did Anyone here work with anyone that crossed the line? How were they treated when everyone went back to work?
We had a feeder driver who crossed (there were actually 4 if I remember) We kept our cb/am/fm radio boxes in the dressing room in an open cabinet. Somehow, his wiring got reversed and when he plugged it in, it melted his radios. And I personally didn't speak to any of them the 18 years I worked there after the strike.

Big Rigger

We had a feeder driver who crossed (there were actually 4 if I remember) We kept our cb/am/fm radio boxes in the dressing room in an open cabinet. Somehow, his wiring got reversed and when he plugged it in, it melted his radios. And I personally didn't speak to any of them the 18 years I worked there after the strike.
Expect the unexpected.

Big Rigger

I remember the IBT passing out stickers thru the local that said:

UPS....
Unfair
Production
Standards

Woooooo.. that scared em.

Karma...

the change in % of the vote is a step in the right direction..........perhaps its for the best that only people who vote are the ones interested.....so a low voter turn out is not really a bad thing..........maybe count the people who dont vote as no votes.....so actually they do vote and have a voice by default........

ManInBrown

the change in % of the vote is a step in the right direction..........perhaps its for the best that only people who vote are the ones interested.....so a low voter turn out is not really a bad thing..........maybe count the people who dont vote as no votes.....so actually they do vote and have a voice by default........
Yeah but the problem with the change in the % is the damage has been done. The door has been opened to two tier drivers. That’s a killer. And the union knew exactly what they were doing slamming it thru. It‘s horrible. The repercussions will be felt for decades.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Because you can make the same argument that they should be counted as yes votes (which is the practical result of the 50% 2/3 rule). People who can't be bothered should suffer the consequences of their decision.

People who do bother shouldn't be punished because the inaction of others. That's why I won't stand for people blaming the members for not voting. That's a good way to get people to disengage, and only people who want members to not be involved say stuff like that, and those people would necessarily have to be management, or pro-company union reps.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Yeah but the problem with the change in the % is the damage has been done. The door has been opened to two tier drivers. That’s a killer. And the union knew exactly what they were doing slamming it thru. It‘s horrible. The repercussions will be felt for decades.

That under 50% ratification was a done deal way before the final results of the 2018 contract were even known. The Hoffa administration knew James was not going to be elected in the 2021 election, they had nothing to lose. Again there was clear evidence that UPS was willing to go back to the table after the voting was calculated, why they didn’t is anybody’s guess?

I still do not know why they had to create these 22.4 positions, they could of provided that service option of 22/7 with the current RPCD classification. The Union leadership wanted more full time jobs to feed their (controlled) pension and health and welfare plans, to hades for those in the company controlled defined pension plans. The starting hourly rate raises turned out to be joke with what is happening across the nation with this pandemic, the profits being made from all the common carries has to be considerable, add also the final resolution of the Central States underfunding and UPS is sitting pretty for the 2023 contract.

There will never be an actual strike at UPS, the Teamsters officials and the Company executives want no part of even a hind of a work stoppage add that to the Feds who are balancing the nation’s economy. Just study the effects on the our economy back in 97 with our 2 1/2 week strike, and that was about 25 years ago with stock selling around 60 dollars a share.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Because you can make the same argument that they should be counted as yes votes (which is the practical result of the 50% 2/3 rule). People who can't be bothered should suffer the consequences of their decision.

People who do bother shouldn't be punished because the inaction of others. That's why I won't stand for people blaming the members for not voting. That's a good way to get people to disengage, and only people who want members to not be involved say stuff like that, and those people would necessarily have to be management, or pro-company union reps.

They want members to be disengaged, they know how the system works...

About 40 percent participation by the rank and file with both the elections and contract by the people who bother, of that 40 percent just provide enough improvements to keep those higher seniority voters appeased, who unfortunately will sell their brothers out to get a bigger piece of the pie. The 60 percent that do not even vote will be for the most part transient part timers and apathetic full timers that even if they do vote will be fearful of a strike situation or so dumbed down that would fall for anything and God forbid they ask questions or get involved.