Dell drops UPS, will use rivals

PreRec251

All I know is we lost the Dell Acct and the bottom 20 drivers just got laid off in April and part of May. They were told to go back to the hub and start loading trucks. It took them 5 weeks to get back on the road and that was only because vacations started. not because the volume went back up. At least thats what happened in R.I. I wish we had the Dell Acct back...

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Look at it this way. UPS revenues top close to 40 billion a year. If they say the DELL account was worth 150 million a year, then I can tell you good riddance until they can accept a decent proposal. The labor and the re-attempts needed to service account is just not worth the effort.

Good move though in keeping the international traffic, thats sure is a better yield per package.

Mallrat

"Brown to the Bone"
FedEx is Driver Releasing Dell Computers on my route. No where on their shipping label does it say to get signatures on the Dells. So, FedEx's deal must allow them to DR under their new agreement....Then again, FedEx DR's packages from the Wineries(Alcohol) when it clearly says Signature Required.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dell will be back, but until then i enjoy having a little extra space in my truck. The dhl minivans are not capable to handle anything more than envelopes let alone dell computer boxes.

CFLBrown

All I know is we lost the Dell Acct and the bottom 20 drivers just got laid off in April and part of May. They were told to go back to the hub and start loading trucks. It took them 5 weeks to get back on the road and that was only because vacations started. not because the volume went back up. At least thats what happened in R.I. I wish we had the Dell Acct back...

Volume is down from all over the country. Unless these guys were delivering 100 stops of Dell computers, their layoff has nothing to do with the Dell account. I'm glad to see them go for now. They NEVER get off on the first attempt.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Volume is down from all over the country.

I'd have to agree. We're starting to see a little bit of a rise. I talk to package car drivers if I get the chance and they said they're working 9.5-10 hour days. For the first time in the six months I've been with UPS, I saw a line of feeders coming into the hub--at noon! And a few of them were pulling triples to boot. -Rocky

A

an anonymous guest

UPS does a lot of work with large customers but not to the point of making it a money losing operation. We have been in this situation with others as well notably Wal-Mart, LLBean, and IBM. UPS has always had the cahones to make a good business call. In the other cases it eventually led to a much better business arrangement with all three.

When was the last time you saw the FEDEX logo on the LL Bean catalog?

Go UPS!
P71

Will IBM be next. I'm a driver for UPS-SCS and have been for several years. Our on time delivery status is 99.5% But yet we were replaced by a company that is notorious for being late on pick-ups and deliveries. That company can't be making any money because if you are late on a delivery they won't pay you, but $.01. Did they hire this company knowing that they have a bad reputation and would have to pay them a small fraction for the work they do. It would seem to me that by hiring this company that they are only hurting themselves. What the hell has happened to quality service. It seems to me that price, now overrides quality. Isn't it true that no matter how big or small a business is that when you sacrifice quality for price you end up loosing. Is the big guys with deep pockets the ones to blame? And why is it that UPS-SCS can charge their customers for a % fuel charge but only will give their drivers a flat rate. For example lets say UPS_SCS charges their customers 15% but only give their independants $.63 if they go 10 miles or 1000 miles Is UPS-SCS telling their customers that they are handing down to their indepenant contractors and agents the fuel charge percentage. After all UPS_SCS isnt' paying the fuel cost for their independants and agents. It just doesn't seem right to me. Let me know what you think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
scorned woman,
Are you in the Atlanta area by any chance? There is a UPS/SCS near my Hub that handles IBM. I hear they get a late Lear jet Pickup. Sometimes I deliver EAMs there.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
You know, in recent past we ALWAYS had a drop in volume right before summer. It wasn't until a couple years ago that our volume stayed high all year around. Seems like things are back to normal. It was pefectly normal to have 2-4 drivers (I'm in a remote center, so that's a bit) to be laid off per day (had alot of RO's as well back then for everyone).

I for one am glad to see them gone. Have seen the NI3 quite a bit in my resie's with them. Heard lots of complaints from customers as well about the product. We have large companies come and go all the time. This isn't anything new at all. As long as we don't lose Victorias Secret, I'll be happy. LOL.

No, I'm in Illinois. UPS-SCS is all over the US. I hope and pray that they loose IBM too. They are an awful company to work for. I took their lies and manipulations for several years. There was a guy in Iowa that they asked to run the warehouse and do deliveries so the guy goes and buys a bunch of new vans and 2 or 3 months later they booted him too and he also had a good record of on time deliveries.

A

Arnold toynbee

Bottom line

Black said Dell's decision "has absolutely nothing to do with our level of service." It's the bottom line, stupid. Ours and theirs.

Pip

When is Dell supposed to stop using UPS? reason I ask is Just yesterday, I was seeing dell's going down the belt for preload. When I seen that I thought of the thread on here saying dell was leaving.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Friday I got stopped by a woman in a subdivision who was looking for her Dell laptop. She said she ordered it on Monday, usually she would get it in two days when UPS handled the account. I told her to look for Fedex or DHL, eventually it will get there.:bored:

rushfan

You know there was some hard core negociating going when we were renewing the contract with them. We had special "Dell" proceedures for call tags, and refused computers. I think UPS bent over backwards for them.

The profit margin in the PC market is very slim. As mentioned, I think they expected us to give them a close to nothing rate for shipping. We have to look after ourselves also.

LeddySS98

I see DELL boxes at a few houses every now and then, and it has a DHL tag on it... as to whether we get them back or not I could care less, BUT since DHL is DR'ing these computers I cant imagine them keeping the account for that long.

DR a DELL???:w00t: