Designated walk path and personal integrity.

Omega man

I would follow the sidewalk, walkway because that is designating where someone is to walk. I am not running a race and get paid by the hour, so I always try to work as safe as possible regardless of how long it takes.
On an OJS someone who cuts across lawns etc. will fail the methods section titled FIXED OBJECTS. Following designated walkpaths guards against tripping hazards and turning ankles.
I would conduct myself with integrity by defying the center manager's demands to work unsafe.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Following designated walkpaths guards against tripping hazards and turning ankles.

Not true scanning your work area guards against tripping and turning your ankle.

You can trip, fall or turn your ankle just as easy on a "designated walk path as you can walking across the grass if you not scanning your work area...

DS

Fenderbender
policies and rules are nothing more than guidelines, nothing is ever set in stone
That my friend is the problem.Your comment about breaking laws is irrelevant.
What policy is it that lets each center pick and choose what rules to employ?
After 100 + years there should be a policy book that includes every scenario.
This policy should be adhered to in every state,province,or republic that ups has dealings in.
Not set in stone? Think about what you said...What exactly is policy if it is to be played with
like a video game with multiple endings? Pleases explain to me the "not set in stone" ups policy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This policy should be adhered to in every state,province,or republic that ups has dealings in.
Not set in stone? Think about what you said...What exactly is policy if it is to be played with
like a video game with multiple endings? Pleases explain to me the "not set in stone" ups policy.

I preach to you from this hill of inequity,
...........................I reveal for all to see,
when the staff is heart,
.................................the seas will depart,
You my friend are living hard
.......................in the world of Double Standards!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

what definition of "guidelines" do you not understand?

upsgrunt

So when corporate dictates how many routes to run in a center 1500 miles away, how come these "guidelines" suddenly something that cannot be deflected from?

gostillerz

Off topic, But how's this for integrity. We have a guy who disqualified himself from driving, but he's still on the cover driver list. Never drives Saturday air or routes during the week unless they're insanely short-staffed and if that happens, they ASK not tell him to come in, and he still drives during peak when he feels like it.

On topic, I stay on concrete as much as I can. As govol said, thar be doggie poo in those yards!

Omega man

Not true scanning your work area guards against tripping and turning your ankle.

You can trip, fall or turn your ankle just as easy on a "designated walk path as you can walking across the grass if you not scanning your work area...

You are wrong if you think scanning is the only part. You should be doing both
There are a number of components to walking safely to and from a delivery point. Staying on designated walkpaths as well as scanning are two of them. These events are not mutually exclusive if your aim is to be as safe as possible.

Omega man

What everyone is missing in the discussion of this scenario supplied by Integrity is the motive of the manager. The manager is disregarding a directive from his company to improperly get better numbers from those drivers who are willing victims of his edicts.

rocket man

Let's suppose you are verbally given a PCM one day.

The PCM is a corporate PCM not a local PCM.

Stay on designated walk paths.

Do not walk on lawns unless it is necessary to do so. Absolutely no exceptions unless no alternative exists.

After reading this PCM your center manager says something like this:

"That's all well and good ladies and gentlemen but I want you to take the most direct route from the package car to the stop. Please be extra careful when cutting across lawns."

Scan your path and we shouldn't have any problems with this issue".

How would you conduct your self with integrity based upon the above example?

Sincerely,
I

'Lord Brown's bidding'

"do not walk on lawns unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to do so..."

Is this statement expounded on, because otherwise it sounds as if this is left to the driver to decide. If i am not one who cares how much i am,paid by whatever time unit, but want to get home before dark and it is reasonable to think I can do so......

My training sup gave me good advice: stay from the very-well manicured ones, they could lead to a concern. Otherwise, with all the uneven pavements, rocks-for-driveways, uneven steps that pass for 'designated walkways', my integrity to the job or myself is not questioned then, neither would it be for walking on a lawn.

Last edited: