DFW **NIGHT** ramp/hub operation closing!!

Dixie Doll

The Hell You Say
UPS is closing the Menlo operations at the Tucson airport in February. No more UPS flights coming in or going out of Tucson International to move the Menlo freight from Tucson to Phoenix, where it gets combined with the Phoenix freight before the flight terminates in Rockford, Il. Not sure of the exact people affected but I know that a couple of aircraft mechanics are being laid off. On the ground side, I assume the approximate 5 to 10 people will be relocated to the other Tucson facilities. I think there is a sort closing in Columbia, North Carolina. I can't remember the other locations specified.

I'mTheMan

It looks like we're going to see more and more airport for sort closing across the country? Wouldn't be surprised that seeing aircrafts will be grounded some while the volume will be extremely low?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It looks like we're going to see more and more airport for sort closing across the country? Wouldn't be surprised that seeing aircrafts will be grounded some while the volume will be extremely low?

From a cost management perspective, that may very well happen.
Customer's have cut back on Air products in order to save cost...they're asking, "Does that package have to be there tomorrow or is 3 days ok?"

UPS Lifer

This really brings home the point that seniority is a very tenuous thing when dealing with sort closures.

There have been many threads where employees have brought up their seniority saying that they can't be touched. When a whole sort or center operation is collapsed there is little left to debate on who goes or who stays.

This type of cost control is what all of us fear the most. Let us hope and pray that UPS can weather this economy and have as few layoffs as possible.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They will fly it to Louisville off the twilight and then sort it there just like they did years ago. ( I guess) This will result in more late air, which equals more money for those here waiting for it. Oh boy, nothing like getting a good nap while waiting for the plane to come in.:happy2:[/quot sshhhhhh don't let that out!!!!:happy2::happy2:

I'mTheMan

Well.... saving cost struggled economy, but, won't tell when your night sort will ever reopen when volume gets bigger or returned. Right now you'll feel that seniority is a mess and even under my union, they may have to start all over again with union's decision and I may not get go back to combo full time job ever again on basics whatever union made decision. I was 6 year combo full time over at BFI and now my favorite work place is long gone since layoffs. However, it looks like UPS will still making a lot more cut backs and closing night sort or other sorts whatever they may have and will still keep doing it. That's why UPS won't fly empty planes if they're not making profit money.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well.... saving cost struggled economy, but, won't tell when your night sort will ever reopen when volume gets bigger or returned. Right now you'll feel that seniority is a mess and even under my union, they may have to start all over again with union's decision and I may not get go back to combo full time job ever again on basics whatever union made decision. I was 6 year combo full time over at BFI and now my favorite work place is long gone since layoffs. However, it looks like UPS will still making a lot more cut backs and closing night sort or other sorts whatever they may have and will still keep doing it. That's why UPS won't fly empty planes if they're not making profit money.

UPS is making more than enough profits. Please, don't buy into that bull****.

They aren't making the profits they are accustomed to, perhaps. That is an entirely different story.

blaeux35

heard a rumor today(ups and rumors, i cant believe it) that they will be moving DFW feeders over to Mesquite. anyone heard anything like this? i think its a bunch of bs, but who knows?

All of this reminds me of the strike in '97. Right after the strike was over and we went back to work, the company canceled the "local sort" and said it was because of the volume lost from the strike.BS,pure BS. The fact is they were planning on shutting down that sort months before the strike ever happened, the plans were formulated and put on hold till after the strike so they could blame it on the union workers. The point is, UPS is always looking for ways to cut back on expenses, but want something else beside corporate greed to lay the blame on. Sound familiar?

For clarification: By local sort I mean the trucks that came in every night from other centers ranging from 100-150 miles away with packages for our area and picking up packages that went to their centers. This bypassed the need to send them to our main outgoing hubs. I sure hope this explanation makes sense.

I'mTheMan

UPS is making more than enough profits. Please, don't buy into that bull****.

They aren't making the profits they are accustomed to, perhaps. That is an entirely different story.

To be very honest with you, I don't buy any of it's story or their crap regarding profits or cutting back everything. We know UPS have profits and big money and everything. It just got me thinking that UPS are just telling their customers that UPS couldn't handle such business or additional volume or fuel prices? Now that would've been just such wrong and just making the union to believe UPS are losing volumes and giving 22.3's to lose their jobs and force them back to part time. The union shouldn't buy it such anything or sleeping in it with it. It just makes the whole thing that makes me so mad over this many issues and too many garbage been going on. Does anyone ever been thinking about feeling that have a right to strike to fight back to get all of our jobs back and everything?? I know we have a contract now but going to be a tough issue to fight about it and make our voices heard? I apologize if I brought this up but I've been mad over this many issue since I had my layoffs.

BigBrownSanta

The preview post button is your friend. Please use it before posting. I'm sure you had a good point in there somewhere, but I missed it. Sorry if I sound condescending, but I couldn't underatand what you were saying.

Dark_Team_135

The preview post button is your friend. Please use it before posting. I'm sure you had a good point in there somewhere, but I missed it. Sorry if I sound condescending, but I couldn't underatand what you were saying.

I wonder if English is a second language for him? (I'm not trying to be funny). I have assumed that to be the case, but maybe I am wrong...

couch potato

Hey I work the night sort at DFW too. I heard today's manager meeting was cancelled so that's another week of not knowing anything. I've also heard there's a chance if you were a driver before you may be allowed to go back to driving. Either way, anybody know about unemployment?

tellitstraight

Check this out this link - it looks like the layoffs in DFW are starting. The article references 72 staff positions - does anyone know if this is strictly management, union, or a combo. Not that it makes much of a difference because I hate to see anyone loose their job especially in todays economy, at the end of the day it is a fellow UPSer who will be out on the street.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2008/12/15/daily28.html

I'mTheMan

Check this out this link - it looks like the layoffs in DFW are starting. The article references 72 staff positions - does anyone know if this is strictly management, union, or a combo. Not that it makes much of a difference because I hate to see anyone loose their job especially in todays economy, at the end of the day it is a fellow UPSer who will be out on the street.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2008/12/15/daily28.html

I read that too. It doesn't make sense because it doesn't says if any would be re-directed to other jobs? When we got layoff from BFI, we were re-directed other jobs by sending us back to hubs to part time. In this DFW's' case, it would be a 3 sort so maybe combo or part timers may be moved to other shift to work there? So that mean it would be sunrise, day, and twilight, if any? Right?

airbusfxr

Tomorrow is the 4 week start of the count down to DFW and CAE shutdown. I talked to A300, MD11 and a couple of 747 crews and their bids all have the reductions in flights for the first quarter. The DC 8's are going to be parked and with the company's latest statement on their website it looks bad for all of us. TUS, DEC, DFW, and CAE are the tip of the iceberg. MD11's are the domestic workhorse and they are not going to be able to provide dependable service for our customers. With UPS screwing up the DHL 10 Billion dollar baby what can be done to make sure the top idiots wont run us out of business? The stock went public in Nov '99, it was 70 bucks a share. What is it today? Who is at blame? Our grade 20's Managers are stuffing 200% of their yearly pay in their pockets and laughing all the way while the bottom workers are sweating it out.

drewed

Shankman
Ignorance must really be bliss, UPS didnt screw themselves out of the deal it wasnt profitable for DHL to domestic service here so they arent going to do it anymore

I'mTheMan

Tomorrow is the 4 week start of the count down to DFW and CAE shutdown. I talked to A300, MD11 and a couple of 747 crews and their bids all have the reductions in flights for the first quarter. The DC 8's are going to be parked and with the company's latest statement on their website it looks bad for all of us. TUS, DEC, DFW, and CAE are the tip of the iceberg. MD11's are the domestic workhorse and they are not going to be able to provide dependable service for our customers. With UPS screwing up the DHL 10 Billion dollar baby what can be done to make sure the top idiots wont run us out of business? The stock went public in Nov '99, it was 70 bucks a share. What is it today? Who is at blame? Our grade 20's Managers are stuffing 200% of their yearly pay in their pockets and laughing all the way while the bottom workers are sweating it out.

As the countdown nears, aren't anyone getting nervously at this point? The DC 8's should've been retired because old age of planes and never had make money like this when it keeps breaking down all the times but, I wouldn't be surprised if we're also going to be seeing other aircraft may be parked as such as A300, B747, B757, B767, and MD-11's? Might as well will be ferried to the desert for time being till volume rose up or till peak returns? I know UPS already in processing retiring aging B747-100's, and B747-200's as well.

UPSNewbie

As the countdown nears, aren't anyone getting nervously at this point? The DC 8's should've been retired because old age of planes and never had make money like this when it keeps breaking down all the times but, I wouldn't be surprised if we're also going to be seeing other aircraft may be parked as such as A300, B747, B757, B767, and MD-11's? Might as well will be ferried to the desert for time being till volume rose up or till peak returns? I know UPS already in processing retiring aging B747-100's, and B747-200's as well.

UPS now has a fleet of bombers?! No wonder why my NDAs are all messed up!:funny: