DFW **NIGHT** ramp/hub operation closing!!

I'mTheMan

Yeah I believed it's been on everyone's mind right now and at work, a lot of questions of how many or complete layoff is going to be affected, they asked? It's has been a major headache on this one for awhile now. As for me, I am counting months as it's been almost past 4 months since I had my layoff and forced me to part time to hub from airport job. It's is uncertain of how we question ourselves is when are we going to get our volume returned and economy rebounded? If don't know if any of you have thought of that in mind yet lately?

I'mTheMan

Nothing yet. Waiting on committee/union meetings to get started.
Anyone else heard anything?

Once the holidays is over and everything. Then, UPS and Union will head back to panel hearing at end of January and February. We'll just have to keep ears open by then and go from there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Our P/T friend/T managers called a meeting of all employees middle of the sort this morning November 26, 2008 and informed us of the intention of the company to close the NIGHT ramp/hub operation On February 8, 2009:speechless:

UPS announcements
This action is among a number of steps planned to address global business realities and overall economic conditions across the organization. Initiatives have been implemented to consolidate regions, districts, and business units; optimize our network; balance staffing; and leverage non-operations capabilities through shared service models. For example, we recently announced the closing of our gateway in Decatur, IL, and Next Day Air night sorts in Columbia, SC, and Dallas-Fort Worth.

BigBrownSanta

UPS announcements
This action is among a number of steps planned to address global business realities and overall economic conditions across the organization. Initiatives have been implemented to consolidate regions, districts, and business units; optimize our network; balance staffing; and leverage non-operations capabilities through shared service models. For example, we recently announced the closing of our gateway in Decatur, IL, and Next Day Air night sorts in Columbia, SC, and Dallas-Fort Worth.

Just curious, but if they close the DFW air sort, how does the air from the DFW area get to Louisville?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just curious, but if they close the DFW air sort, how does the air from the DFW area get to Louisville?

This is an educated guess since I am not familiar with DFW operations:
I believe the answer to that is that UPS is closing the NDA Hub Sort not the DFW Air facility. That means that outlying centers P.M. air recovery operations will have to load cans if big enough and the smaller centers will bring and put their NDA air via belts or whatever into the approriate can.
The DFW Hub sort probably made many splits to air hubs around the country...now thay will probably flow most everything through Louisville and maybe Philly and Ontario splits.

Hopefully one of the Air Network people will see this and provide a more concise answer or drewed may answer. :wink2:

outta hours

They will fly it to Louisville off the twilight and then sort it there just like they did years ago. ( I guess) This will result in more late air, which equals more money for those here waiting for it. Oh boy, nothing like getting a good nap while waiting for the plane to come in.:happy2:

BigBrownSanta

Airplane?

Smart aleck. I probably deserved that though, especially from you. :happy-very:

How does the air get sorted to get on the airplane? Is this an airport operation or an "in bldg" sort? It seems to me if this was an airport operation, then all the air from the DFW area will not get to Louisville.

I don't deal with air except to throw (I mean place them gently using a hand to surface method) them on the belt when I get in at night.

drewed

Shankman
This is an educated guess since I am not familiar with DFW operations:
I believe the answer to that is that UPS is closing the NDA Hub Sort not the DFW Air facility. That means that outlying centers P.M. air recovery operations will have to load cans if big enough and the smaller centers will bring and put their NDA air via belts or whatever into the approriate can.
The DFW Hub sort probably made many splits to air hubs around the country...now thay will probably flow most everything through Louisville and maybe Philly and Ontario splits.

Hopefully one of the Air Network people will see this and provide a more concise answer or drewed may answer. :wink2:
HEY HOKE! thanks haha but it sounds about right to me ANC gets a flight from DFW everymorning but most of our NDA and 2day came through SDF and ONT, I would expect they would add a flight from DFW during the night to SDF and put the volume on current flights since most of our flights arent flying at capacity.

I'mTheMan

HEY HOKE! thanks haha but it sounds about right to me ANC gets a flight from DFW everymorning but most of our NDA and 2day came through SDF and ONT, I would expect they would add a flight from DFW during the night to SDF and put the volume on current flights since most of our flights arent flying at capacity.

Is UPS considering grounding planes for awhile as it reduce numbers of aircraft and the 2 day and 3 day volume? Will it might be loaded to trailers and have it sent to SDF instead of flying? I know NDA is very highest demand and it must fly anyway to get packages and letters to get there on time. I know everyone have a displeasure of serious problems with DC-8's aircraft. I wish UPS retires them since they don't have the technology on good fuel savings on the DC-8's aircraft.

combogirl

HEY HOKE! thanks haha but it sounds about right to me ANC gets a flight from DFW everymorning but most of our NDA and 2day came through SDF and ONT, I would expect they would add a flight from DFW during the night to SDF and put the volume on current flights since most of our flights arent flying at capacity.[/quote

The night ramp as well as the hub will be shut down Feb 8. NO NIGHT OPERATION. Driver nda p/ups will be, as before, processed on the twilight.

UPS and the union had a meeting Friday 12/12. We hope to hear something next week.

drewed

Shankman
Is UPS considering grounding planes for awhile as it reduce numbers of aircraft and the 2 day and 3 day volume? Will it might be loaded to trailers and have it sent to SDF instead of flying? I know NDA is very highest demand and it must fly anyway to get packages and letters to get there on time. I know everyone have a displeasure of serious problems with DC-8's aircraft. I wish UPS retires them since they don't have the technology on good fuel savings on the DC-8's aircraft.

Well DFW to SDF is a many hour drive vs an hour to 2 hr flight, and it would save money instead of sending several half empty planes send one full one for a short flight to sdf and have them fill their planes

outta hours

Combogirl, are you telling me that they are closing the entire DFW night sort? I thought it was just the air sort. We are diverting some twilight volume to DFW. I can't imagine that they would shut down the entire night sort.

Combogirl, are you telling me that they are closing the entire DFW night sort? I thought it was just the air sort. We are diverting some twilight volume to DFW. I can't imagine that they would shut down the entire night sort.
I thought air was all that went through DFW?

combogirl

The night sort is air. Yes the entire night sort. All the ft/pt mgmt I have talked to told me they have no idea where they will will going. As for us, combo/pt employees, we are still in the dark. Diverting from where? How much? Air volume?

LiL"Comet"

Good Luck to you all who will be affected by the new changes that are coming your way, I think there will be many changes in almost every location big & small at UPS 2009. :wink2::peaceful:

outta hours

I thought air was all that went through DFW?

A ton of ground goes through there also. It is not an air only hub. I did not know that the night sort was air only though. The problem is you have two other hubs with a night sort only 20 and 30 miles away from DFW. Guess they may be consolidating or streamlining as they call it.