DIAD 4 Upgrade...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I still think the system is somewhat behind "real time" because I still get the messages :"Where can driver meet you in 20 min?"

That's only because it gives them time between waiting for your message, sending the message to the other driver and adding drive time.

Unless that comment was meant to be sarcastic then continue on brownie.:happy-very:

no comment on the "know where you are" aspect of the GPS system. One thing I have seen is on "Driver Follow up" problems. While covering for the regular driver I had to work a DF for 123 ave J, the people at that address were not home so NI1. The next day, along with the DF form they had attached a photo of with Xs where the driver was when he scanned the package and when he hit stop complete. The photo was of 123 ave k. Clearly a misdelivery. Unfortunately the people at 123 ave K denied ever seeing the package. Guess who's gonna have to buy the package.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They posted a picture in my Center showing a Driver Followup miss delivery. It was one of these satellite photos, it showed the original address and where the driver left it five streets over. I think its interesting technology.

The mapping deal browniehound was posting about is called OMSe. Our Center went on it a few months back and it shows the driver on his route, I think it has a six minute lapse time on updates. It a good tool if the OMS uses it to dispatch OCAs, but I still get messages that get sent to the wrong driver.

They posted a picture in my Center showing a Driver Followup miss delivery. It was one of these satellite photos, it showed the original address and where the driver left it five streets over. I think its interesting technology.

The mapping deal browniehound was posting about is called OMSe. Our Center went on it a few months back and it shows the driver on his route, I think it has a six minute lapse time on updates. It a good tool if the OMS uses it to dispatch OCAs, but I still get messages that get sent to the wrong driver.
Unfortunately the system is worthless if you have an OMS with mush for brains. One day last week I was sent three ODSs to do a pick up off the area I was running. Now at the time I recieved the messages I was the closest one to the stop, fair enough. However the other driver would be withing a block or two of the pickup a little later in the day. The other driver was my meet point for sending in pick volume, it would make no sense for me to break trace to do the pickup. I tried to explain all this to the OMS but it was beyond her comprehension.

shrimpfire

shrimpfire
Unfortunately the system is worthless if you have an OMS with mush for brains. One day last week I was sent three ODSs to do a pick up off the area I was running. Now at the time I recieved the messages I was the closest one to the stop, fair enough. However the other driver would be withing a block or two of the pickup a little later in the day. The other driver was my meet point for sending in pick volume, it would make no sense for me to break trace to do the pickup. I tried to explain all this to the OMS but it was beyond her comprehension.

pretzel_man

What you say is absolutley true.

UPS' technology is superior and can provide a competitive advantage. However, our people need to know how to properly use it to meet the goals that the corporate people set up.

I think that this is why there is such varied outcomes in different centers. With the exact same technology, training and support, one center may do great and another poorly.

From what I've seen the difference always comes down to the local management.

I think its an interesting dilemma. I've heard some managers say to not provide more technology because our people are not able to properly use it. Others say to continue to work on the future vision and get management up to par. Personally, I'm in the second group.

BTW, with the system mentioned here the OMS can see not only where the driver is but where he / she is GOING to be. I train our people to use that look ahead...

P-Man

browniehound

That's only because it gives them time between waiting for your message, sending the message to the other driver and adding drive time.

Unless that comment was meant to be sarcastic then continue on brownie.:happy-very:

All my comments here have some degree of sarcasm in them:wink2:.

Also, I was in a hurry to get offline when I wrote that post and didn't get a chance to proof-read and edit it. I apologize for the errors in the post because it wasn't as clear as I intended it to be.

browniehound

Has anyone heard of a driver being disiplined for being off area yet? I know the contract states that information obtained from tech. devices can't be used to disipline a driver, but all it takes is for a sup. to see it and then follow-up on it in person.

For example, the GPS shows the driver going home for lunch or the mall that is a few miles off route everday. The next day, the sup. can just go out and nail him in person.

Anyone here of this scenario yet?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
NMA Article 37, Section 1(d): No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time based on data received from the DIAD/IVIS or any other information technology.

But like you said, they can use the info and nail you in person.

alister

Actually its called ODSe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Actually its called ODSe.

Thanks for the correction, its ODSe. Our OMS folks raved about it at first, but some of them evidently don't use it when assigning OCAs. I guess they still use the old system that told who made a delivery in that area previously. I run EAMs all over the place in the morning, often they will send an OCA to me that is on the other side of the city later in the day.

over9five

Staff member
Do they ever dispatch an OCA to you (because you're the closest) to a building that another driver picks up later?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Over9, If you are asking me, then no. I am on a residential route away from the downtown area.

I do have a stupid problem that is PAS/EDD related though. I used to deliver a street in the morning that had a couple of shippers on it, then came back at the end of the day for the pickups. They needed their packages in the morning to run their business. Along comes PAS/EDD. I lose that street for delivery to the next driver. I pick those shippers up at 3:45PM, the other guy delivers them at 4PM, right before they close. We often run into each other. The customers have called in Corporate Complaints, but no one cares. UPS has put their production work one day behind. The only reason we still have their business is because Fedex Ground delivers even later and often skips them for a day or two.

over9five

Staff member
We've had that here, too. It's like the worst way you can treat your customers: Deliver them after the pick-up!

old levi's

blank space
Has anyone heard of a driver being disiplined for being off area yet? I know the contract states that information obtained from tech. devices can't be used to disipline a driver, but all it takes is for a sup. to see it and then follow-up on it in person.

For example, the GPS shows the driver going home for lunch or the mall that is a few miles off route everday. The next day, the sup. can just go out and nail him in person.

Anyone here of this scenario yet?

So you go (I mean the driver goes off route everyday.)

Over9, If you are asking me, then no. I am on a residential route away from the downtown area.

I do have a stupid problem that is PAS/EDD related though. I used to deliver a street in the morning that had a couple of shippers on it, then came back at the end of the day for the pickups. They needed their packages in the morning to run their business. Along comes PAS/EDD. I lose that street for delivery to the next driver. I pick those shippers up at 3:45PM, the other guy delivers them at 4PM, right before they close. We often run into each other. The customers have called in Corporate Complaints, but no one cares. UPS has put their production work one day behind. The only reason we still have their business is because Fedex Ground delivers even later and often skips them for a day or two.

Why doesn't the delivery person pick them up then?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Why doesn't the delivery person pick them up then?
Because that would make sense. I drive right by that street every morning anyway, its just IE doesn't want to change the loop. I offered to swap an easy subdivision right next to it to even the work out between me and the other driver, but that made too much sense too.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I leave my DIAD in my letter box when I make the 5 mile drive for lunch. When I'm done I go back and get it out of the Lbox. The Lbox is near a mini-mart it looks like I spent 30 minutes eating roller dogs. BM