Did my Package Handler interview today. When do you hear back?

Wend1g0

It's all good either way. You might have better mgmt there who knows. Here are some pro-tips

-Dont get into the habit of turning around and putting things on the shelf so you can come back to it later. You'll forget our get sidetracked. If you don't have the time to put it on it's correct shelf, put it in the middle of the floor or stack out and get to it when you can/have some down time

-Memorize the shelf locations.

-Before you even step foot in the truck to put it on a shelf, verify the bay number. There's no point in having a well organized truck if 15 of the packages are going to a city that's 50 miles away from that drivers route

-If the box is large (use judgement), put it on the floor under where it would have went on the shelf up top or close to. Will draw you some diagrams once I get out of bed to help

-If youre loading a truck that has multiple large bulk stops everyday, make sure the driver can get to at least one of them to unload it as a group and start making room for the next one. Try to keep things close together and not all over the truck. Won't always be possible but just communicate that with the driver

-Look at your load chart that they give you every morning. Under "bulk stops", if it's bold and in italics, that means they have next day air pieces mixed in also. Put all next day air under the belt and let the driver decide what to do with it unless they communicate otherwise

-Dont cram rolls of carpet against the wall and then bury them with boxes. It may seem unintuitive but it's easier to find a roll of carpet out in the middle of the walkway and the driver won't have to fight it out through a mountain of irregs

If you do these things and do a fairly good job at them chances are your drivers will give you tips during peak season. I know we do anyways. We try to give good loaders an extra $100 a week cash tip during peak. Some give giftcards, others bring them breakfast. Some are stretched like financially so they may just say thanks. Whatever. Still got a good job with outstanding benefits
Thank you for all the advice there. Some of what you said I didn't exactly understand. I've never actually talked to any drivers or seen any air pieces. I believe our facility has an "air dock" or something like that specifically for those packages. I found out Thursday im at the largest facility in Washington, oregon and, N idaho (our "district" I think they called it) all the trucks I've dealt with have been to a single state or a collection of states in close proximity to one another.

Operating theory of Part time at 20 hours weekly I'm looking at net 800$ monthly after taxes and gas costs approximately. Financially stretched is one way to put it haha. I know there are folks out there that have it far worse than I so you won't see me complaining. To your point the benefits are a key reason of why I'm here. Im more of a thinker not a doer so I'm after my degree as a long term goal. Full benefits don't hurt either.