Disrespectful coworker

Hey I need some advice. I'm a sweeper and weak side pick off. There's this guy who is on low volume kick off and is an extreme loose cannon. 50 something years old as a pick off, I'd be mad too. There were jams really bad and as result there was belt-wide boxes coming down. Me and high volume do pretty good work, and the low volume guy shut the belt off and proceeded to screaming and use profanity because there was a box where he couldnt see the label. As humans mistakes happen and when it's crazy busy, obviously it's gonna happen. How do I handle this? I told my supervisor and she laughed and said "oh that's garret being garret". What options do I have to get this miserable guy to control himself? Other jobs I have had he would be in some serious trouble. Is this acceptable at UPS? I'm not too familiar with the culture. Keep in mind he was cussing at us and screaming to the top of his lungs, being very disrespectful. What do I gotta do? If I can even do anything? I'm a very thick skinned guy, train jiu jitsu and have very good self control, but any man can only take so much disrespect.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey I need some advice. I'm a sweeper and weak side pick off. There's this guy who is on low volume kick off and is an extreme loose cannon. 50 something years old as a pick off, I'd be mad too. There were jams really bad and as result there was belt-wide boxes coming down. Me and high volume do pretty good work, and the low volume guy shut the belt off and proceeded to screaming and use profanity because there was a box where he couldnt see the label. As humans mistakes happen and when it's crazy busy, obviously it's gonna happen. How do I handle this? I told my supervisor and she laughed and said "oh that's garret being garret". What options do I have to get this miserable guy to control himself? Other jobs I have had he would be in some serious trouble. Is this acceptable at UPS? I'm not too familiar with the culture. Keep in mind he was cussing at us and screaming to the top of his lungs, being very disrespectful. What do I gotta do? If I can even do anything? I'm a very thick skinned guy, train jiu jitsu and have very good self control, but any man can only take so much disrespect.
Give back whatever he throws at you. If he's screaming and cussing, do the same to him.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The next time he acted that way I would hook him up with 5 consecutive boxes that he needed to turn. If he melts down again I would apologize and send another 10 right away.

I've been called an instigator but sometimes you find people who deserve it.

The next time he acted that way I would hook him up with 5 consecutive boxes that he needed to turn. If he melts down again I would apologize and send another 10 right away.

I've been called an instigator but sometimes you find people who deserve it.
Lmao thats awesome I think I'll do that. Can they take me off as weakside if he complains to the supervisor? Or am I set

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I hired in loading and the pick off was someone a lot like your guy.

I had a 53 that would usually blow out and a pup that would only get maybe 30%. He would constantly yell I had a shot going to the small trailer and keep screaming if I didn't leave my 53 and immediately go into the pup.

Every time I went to the pup there would be a 10 piece shot that wouldn't even fill up the extended rollers and a 100 piece shot to the 53. After about 5 times of this I yelled at him to shut the %©ck up and his reaction was to never call out shots again...worked for me.

I hired in loading and the pick off was someone a lot like your guy.

I had a 53 that would usually blow out and a pup that would only get maybe 30%. He would constantly yell I had a shot going to the small trailer and keep screaming if I didn't leave my 53 and immediately go into the pup.

Every time I went to the pup there would be a 10 piece shot that wouldn't even fill up the extended rollers and a 100 piece shot to the 53. After about 5 times of this I yelled at him to shut the %©ck up and his reaction was to never call out shots again...worked for me.
That's what I'm going to do then. I'll just tell him to cry about it and to shut the friend up. I have had the same exact saturation with the same guy but when I'm near him he never gets disrespectful. I will post a reply and let you know what happens. I'm also gonna leave the boxes face down. Next time he goes off I'll let you know

Make sure your guy is stable enough to handle it... dont want to see this in the parking lot.:gunsmilie
He seems pretty unstable. Just a miserable guy. He's kinda creepy too. He has been working there for 9 years so I don't think he'd risk anything. But if he swings on me, that is the BEST thing that could happen. I would be happy to oblige

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
He seems pretty unstable. Just a miserable guy. He's kinda creepy too. He has been working there for 9 years so I don't think he'd risk anything. But if he swings on me, that is the BEST thing that could happen. I would be happy to oblige
Yeah, you might want to think twice before obliging. That's a good way to get fired, even if you're defending yourself.

Yeah, you might want to think twice before obliging. That's a good way to get fired, even if you're defending yourself.
I would take him him down, and choke him out. I could understand if I spammed him on his head and ground n pound. But from legal standpoint, you can't get fired for self defense, especially if I was just subduing him.

Not true. A company like UPS really pushes the anti-workplace violence thing.
Really? That's crazy. The supervisor I'm friends with said right before I was hired two guys got into a shouting match and ended up throwing boxes at each other and they just got written up. Other places I worked, people aren't allowed to curse and be disrespectful like that. Is UPS unique in where he is allowed to scream and curse at coworkers?

Last edited:

Hellobrown2000

I'm all good, was just wondering how to handle a loose cannon coworker in this unique work environment. Talking crap on a forum at 7 in the morning, whos actually the little b!tch
Probably not the guy with 5 air stops and time to waste. But probably the kid who doesn't know how to handle someone who curses and ask people on a forum how to handle it.