Do I really need a union for a 2% raise ???

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I don't like this contract as-is either, but I'm not going to generate "facts" to make it worse than it is.

Does the raise equal inflation?

It is as simple as that and that fact can not be argued as being something that it isn't. As for my talking louder or typing bigger......people just don't listen or get it!

average wage earner pays out of pocket for their retirement and healthcare.
We do also my friend. Or are you trying to argue we don't pay a deductible or co-pay? Or fund our 401K ourselves? The devil is in the details present all the information or you will be called out on it!

The Real Jack RyanMI6

This article is on bloomberg. It wouldn’t let me link it.
Haven't read all the thread, so hope im nt repeating something. I explain it this way to those inside and outside UPS. Replacement cost what would i have to make to replace the total value of my compensation. It is at least a logical starting point.

Ya, your source says employee health contributions went up a whopping $84 a year from 2016 to 2017.....

That's supposed to make me feel better about getting a wage increase that's less than inflation when the economy is booming???

Come on man, let's leave the health and welfare out of the wage increase talk. It's a totally separate topic.

Shows a $200+ increase for family coverage, for one year.

And again, I'm only trying to keep perspective on this, apples to apples. I'm not saying you should feel better about anything, I'm only pointing out the 2.9% is slightly askew. Our wage increase is entirely useable income, that is not the average.

Look, I'm not trying to be more right than anyone, bro, just including all of the facts. I'm not happy with this TA either, but I still have to look at the whole picture, not just the parts that make my point look better.

Does the raise equal inflation?

It is as simple as that and that fact can not be argued as being something that it isn't. As for my talking louder or typing bigger......people just don't listen or get it!

We do also my friend. Or are you trying to argue we don't pay a deductible or co-pay? Or fund our 401K ourselves? The devil is in the details present all the information or you will be called out on it!

Your 401(k) is optional, you have a retirement package with or without it, average wage earners do not. You do pay a copay, and as for this year you paid a (minimal) deductible, you do not pay a premium.

I was having a sensible discussion with @DriveInDriveOut, I'm fully aware of the details, the thought of you calling me out does not intimidate me whatsoever. I've seen your posts and I'll leave you with this, you can always have your own opinion, but you can never have your own facts.

Your 401(k) is optional, you have a retirement package with or without it, average wage earners do not. You do pay a copay, and as for this year you paid a (minimal) deductible, you do not pay a premium.

I was having a sensible discussion with @DriveInDriveOut, I'm fully aware of the details, the thought of you calling me out does not intimidate me whatsoever. I've seen your posts and I'll leave you with this, you can always have your own opinion, but you can never have your own facts.
Many pension plans are in bad shape. You need to save a little for yourself. Even if your pension is in good shape, it's never going to go up when you retire but the cost of everything else will.

Many pension plans are in bad shape. You need to save a little for yourself. Even if your pension is in good shape, it's never going to go up when you retire but the cost of everything else will.

Totally agree that it's very smart to invest. I'm not really interested in a 401(k) that doesn't match, there are better investments out there that can yield 10% or more that are still safe, but a shoddy 401 is still better than pension alone.

Totally agree that it's very smart to invest. I'm not really interested in a 401(k) that doesn't match, there are better investments out there that can yield 10% or more that are still safe, but a shoddy 401 is still better than CS pension alone.
Our 401k has very low fees and the money automatically comes out of your paycheck.

Our 401k has very low fees and the money automatically comes out of your paycheck.

It is convenient, for sure. I have all of my investments come out pre-tax as well, it's not much more effort to get the paperwork done. Between my sugar momma and those side investments, I'm not gonna set foot in a package car one more day than I absolutely have to.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My mom was shocked when I told her we didn't get a raise after retirement.

Her and my dad both get 3% pension raises every year.

And people wonder why Illinois is broke.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Most pensions don't unless you work for the government.
Yep. Teacher and park ranger.

I do want to smack her sometimes. She doesn't get SS (never paid in) I think of how set she could really be if she had invested all of that money that she wasn't paying SS.

Smashmouth

Mkay.
I kind of feel like you're saying we shouldn't worry about getting raises that are less than inflation, because our benefits are staying the same. Seems like a silly argument, just my opinion.

I think he is just trying to say that we are in the minority working for a company that contributes to a pension plan and a company where there are no healthcare premiums paid by us for our coverage. The majority of people I know, have to pay for health care and dont have a pension, so any wage increases they get will inevitably partially go to pay for heath care and put into some type of retirement account.

That being said, I think this contract needs to pay us for the profits that we have made, for the growth thats happening, and for inflation thats coming down the road....

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It wasn't meant to refute anything, just supply info for a more complete perspective. Of course it is speculation, but the chance of it being accurate is high since the report was based on averages. Any survey can be skewed in any direction, it's not difficult. But since the average person pays benefits out of pocket and this was a survey based on averages, it's a valid point.

It's just to provide perspective and accuracy when discussing wage and useable income, not trying to condemn anyone.

Then you agree with the OP's point that we didn't need the union in order to get a 2% raise? I think most people already understood that compensation isn't just about wages, so what were you adding to the conversation?