Do we need or want union

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by burco8080, Oct 7, 2018.

1. burco8080

burco8080 Member

Let’s start by saying I voted yes for contract.Then I read it was voted down and UPS is ready to go back to the table,but then the union says do to not a enough voted so it is ratified we probably can do better with what UPS offers it’s dedicated workers.I am sorry but belonging to a union is not a benefit

2. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

So if the Union disappeared today, you think UPS would offer all of its package employees higher pay and benefits? Our work lives would be better?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Wontmake9.5

Wontmake9.5 My job is fun

You’re wasting your time with people like that. They bitch about union wanna be big and bad on the interwebz and as soon as they get in trouble they go running to the union.. no different then people complaining about cops and such and when they are in trouble and need help guess who they call?

4. burco8080

burco8080 Member

Maybe back in the day it was a union for the people now it’s what is best for the union leaders

5. hellfire

hellfire no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

Scabs are coming out of the woodwork now..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  6. burco8080

burco8080 Member

Don’t plan to get in trouble

7. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Folks rarely do.

8. Wontmake9.5

Wontmake9.5 My job is fun

What would you do you god forbid have a n accident or something and they want to fire you? No one plans on stuff but it’s a good safety net to have. But like I said please go ahead and get out of the Union you got it fam

9. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Active Member

OUR union went off the deep end with all this but,I don't think we should. You do still need a union, just one with new leadership.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  10. Benben

Benben Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Hey girls, the teamsters are NOT THE ONLY UNION who could represent us!

I am sure we could find another group who would actually serve our best interests and not be trying to line their own pockets! The question would be how to unwind the pension obligations.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Brownpants80

Brownpants80 Member

In the RTW states even if you opt out, they STILL HAVE TO REPRESENT YOU BY LAW. You still get representation just like people who pay to be into the union get. You still get the wages, healthcare, and everything else without having to be apart of it. Perfect example: girl got in trouble and was about to fired in my center, she was non union. My steward still had to go to bat for her and she kept her job. However it's only in RTW states.

12. Brisket

Brisket Well-Known Member

Paid holidays, benefits, vacations, thousands of drivers blood, sweat and tears so that we can have that today more than likely would NOT be here in the form that we currently enjoy today.

I get it that you are mad, so am I BUT IMO the best way to change this is to get involved and help change the leadership.

Stepping off soapbox now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  13. Dulce Bombón

Dulce Bombón I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!

We need the Bastards, somehow.

14. Benben

Benben Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

But not necessarily these bastards! There are other unions out there!

15. The Range

The Range In too deep

Considering new part-timers make more with their company issued bonus than part-timers with 4 years in, I'd say the union is not needed. That's exluding the tiny fact the union just stabbed the entire membership in the back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Chukie804

Chukie804 Management told me I'd never be a driver

Unions aren't perfect, and ours is especially not doing so hot right now, but it is far preferable to the alternative. Vote in every election, every contract offer, even if you are ignored the effort it takes it minimal and it shows you still care. Apathy is insidious and difficult to root out. Democracy demands that you give a :censored2:.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Dulce Bombón

Dulce Bombón I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!

Ohhh, I hurt your feelings?:crying: Need a tissue?:imok::hesaidsmiley:

18. The Real Jack RyanMI6

The Real Jack RyanMI6 Active Member

Your living in a fantasy world where all grivences are won by the company, because all the workers are vindictive, lazy individuals who just want to be paid because they happen to be alive and physically present.
    Quite the contrary my friend, we need a union even one as seemingly weak and inadequate as ours may or may not be. UPS would have had 22.4s, 70hr weeks, not to mention their ultimate dream of every new employee full or part timer a PVD, and all that for only 15.00 + a 401k. oh how the memory fades for you all youngsters.

19. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The Union may not be perfect, but I doubt if I would be making over $34/hr and a monthly pension shortly for a PT job without the Union.

20. specter208

specter208 Active Member

The members need to be patient. Right now it's important not get carried away because the contract still has not been passed. Many supplements were rejected and those need to be fixed and D.Taylor and the company have been quoted as being open to re-negotiation.