Does anybody actually enjoy working for UPS?

UPSER1987

It used to be bearable...never fun. Now it’s all doom and gloom everyday. Never seen such a large gathering of unappreciative and unhappy people. And they all want to drag you down with them.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Any job that pays well. $80k+, excellent benefits, up to 8-weeks paid vacation for those with over 25-years. 40-hours sick pay, college tuition is not going to be easy.

As an hourly, it would be even tougher without a union.

It's really all about money & security for all employees, White & Blue. Focus on a decent income lifestyle and over 80% leave before the age of 60.

Most of the new hires & retirees say they like it at UPS. It's the middle of the line folks that are too into it to quit and still far away from seeing daylight that struggle.

If I hired on today as a driver. I couldn't last at 55-69 hours a week. I'd go Antifa! There's jobs where folks work 55-hours a week year round. The difference is at UPS it's like 55 hours of CrossFit. Very few are slugs at UPS. Guys at my center over the years used to get a laugh at the new drivers trying to figure what easy route they'd bid on some day. Where I am from there is no such a thing. Still I know high school grads that made it and own four homes free & clear, muscle cars, Jet boats... a lot of acreage. Took them 30-years. You can't get that at Auto Zone.

Last edited:

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I love the work. I like being active and outside everyday. I enjoy the cool customers that make an effort to help me out and let me know that I am appreciated. I like delivering essential medical stuff that people need. It’s good, honest work and we are paid well with excellent benefits. I still feel lucky to have the job....but I’m not a machine.
My body isn’t going to hold up if we are gonna be a year round peak operation.

fishtm2001

I love the work. I like being active and outside everyday. I enjoy the cool customers that make an effort to help me out and let me know that I am appreciated. I like delivering essential medical stuff that people need. It’s good, honest work and we are paid well with excellent benefits. I still feel lucky to have the job....but I’m not a machine.
My body isn’t going to hold up if we are gonna be a year round peak operation.
I really enjoyed driving for all the reasons you mentioned. The last three years or so were less enjoyable once they started changing the route every day and holding packages at the building in order to cut routes. I was from the old school where every package was treated as being important and a driver was the badge of the company. I remember my first xmas as a jumper. I road with an older guy who was a hustler and very well regarded by customers as well as management. Once on the way back to the building he remarked that it felt good to leave in the AM with a full truck and return with an empty one. I thought that was pretty corny at the time but later came to understand. All that pride went out the window when the company changed its policies.

burco8080

26 years and only a few bad days this job is what you make of it. Enjoy my people on route and they enjoy seeing me my route dog get a dog treat and the kids get a of stick of gum.

Overpaid Union Thug

From a driver’s point of view: I have enjoyed the job at times because a typical day for me consists of me shutting off my brain to the job other than the bare minimum synapses required to concentrate on following the methods and delivering the packages.

The rest of my thoughts are on carrying on a conversation with whoever I am on the phone (AirPods) with, or listening to whatever podcast I am listening to, or listening to music or an audiobook, or engaging in conversation with my customers. Plus, during the last bid I moved to a route that is immune to the destructive BS of ORION so I actually have control over the majority of what goes on.

Since I have been a full-time driver (it really started when I was a TCD) UPS has rarely been one of those jobs where I dreaded going to work. The few exceptions are maybe during peak season but it’s usually the god-awful helpers that I am dreading dealing with. I think the only people who struggle mentally with this job are the weak minded. We’ve had a couple of drivers in my center that had to go to therapy. Yes, you read that right. Therapy! Of the feelings doctor variety.

If you truly do not care about their numbers and or willing to train yourself to follow as many methods as possible then the job is so damn easy and can actually be enjoyable.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It used to be bearable...never fun. Now it’s all doom and gloom everyday. Never seen such a large gathering of unappreciative and unhappy people. And they all want to drag you down with them.
Or ya know don’t read too much into it. Work sucks. Period.