Does anyone put a full set of chains on anymore?

MC0493

I'm a cover driver, so on a snowy day i always make sure to have a set of quick chains in the truck in case i get in a jam. Had to use them once so far and they helped. Sometimes i actually wouldn't mind a full set, then you can just deliver everything like normal and avoid the blown out disaster the next day from ec'ing everything. Maybe when i have my own route. No idea if we even have full chains for package cars here in NY

rod

Retired 22 years
CsrhA4bWIAAAiXf.jpg

Just got a set of these we are trying out. Can put them on in about 2-3 minutes

They look expensive. Does UPS provide those? I can't believe UPS would dig that deep in their pockets.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
They look expensive. Does UPS provide those? I can't believe UPS would dig that deep in their pockets.

Yeah....they are expensive. It is a trial set.
However when considering the cost of a tow bill or damage to the vehicle when the chains break or the time savings putting them on and taking them off, the long term savings could pay for the set. They are durable and your can drive on pavement without the worry of damage to the roads or your chains breaking.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Im not talking about the skip/cheater chains but the full set.

Most drivers only throw the quick 1’s on when they are stuck, which is what i used to do.

On rural routes during snowstorms the 10-15 minutes it takes to put them on takes all the stress of the day away and it just feels like any other day. You can go almost anywhere with them. Its not that im trying to be a hero or anything, but it just takes the edge off.

Thoughts? Some mountain passes and certain areas it’s mandatory if im not mistaken...
I chain up every winter, full set, I have two full sets plus a spare in my truck. I have even chained up all four wheels when it was icy to help me steer.