Does felony = discharge @ ups

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I been working for ups in nj now 6 months as a package handler. I am now 25 turning 26, i was convicted of a felony for drugs when i was 22 and did 1 year in jail. I was living in ny at the time.i recently moved to nj because i got the job and needed the benefits for my family. Really my son who has medical issues. Now like i said i committed the felony 3 almost 4 years ago in ny now i live in nj. In my resume i put that i didnt have a felony bc its in nj state, and i was convicted in ny. I never been in trouble in new jersey. I am now in the union. I am soon taking the class to become a driver. My question is, if they find out about my felony in ny ( drug charges ) will i get fired 2, 3 or 5 years from now bc i lied on the application ? I really need this job for my family. Its my only hope in life. I was young is was a big mistkae i changed my life around. Please im afraid of loosing my job.

Please use the tuition reimbursement program that UPS offers and go take up some English remedial classes at your local community college. Good god, you need it. I hope you take my advice after reading this.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I been working for ups in nj now 6 months as a package handler. I am now 25 turning 26, i was convicted of a felony for drugs when i was 22 and did 1 year in jail. I was living in ny at the time.i recently moved to nj because i got the job and needed the benefits for my family. Really my son who has medical issues. Now like i said i committed the felony 3 almost 4 years ago in ny now i live in nj. In my resume i put that i didnt have a felony bc its in nj state, and i was convicted in ny. I never been in trouble in new jersey. I am now in the union. I am soon taking the class to become a driver. My question is, if they find out about my felony in ny ( drug charges ) will i get fired 2, 3 or 5 years from now bc i lied on the application ? I really need this job for my family. Its my only hope in life. I was young is was a big mistkae i changed my life around. Please im afraid of loosing my job.

-- Whether or not the felony conviction will show up on a background check depends on (basically) the type of report UPS purchases. I do not know if UPS purchases more thorough reports for FT, or regularly performs background checks on incumbent PT employees. Perhaps the felony is already known and was not a concern during the hiring process.

-- Lying on your job application is grounds for termination (dishonesty). Just don't do it. Building a lifestyle around a wage, only to lose it all, isn't sensible.

-- You need to discuss your situation with your business agent (representative from your union local) -- he/she will be able to advise on whether or not you should proceed with the FT application (but disclosing the felony).

-- FWIW, be aware "3 almost 4 years ago" is recent in most people's memories.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Erm, this old thread isn't really relevant to your situation, so no reason to bump it. You straight up lied on your application about a felony. Had you been honest, they still probably would have hired you, but yes, it will come up on the national background search (NCIC) that will be run on you. Had it been a misdemeanor it's possible it might not have shown up if on the other side of the country, but all felonies anywhere in the US make it into that database and...it happened the next state over anyway...

Indecisi0n

Your first course of action should be to stop talking/posting about it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Your first course of action should be to stop talking/posting about it.

He also needs to be heading up to the union hall and talking to his BA ASAP about this situation to see if he needs to pull his name from consideration from driving. If they run a background check and can prove he lied on his application, UPS could pursue a termination on the grounds of dishonesty. If that happens, there's a good chance it would stick. Hire dates and background checks (generally) don't lie.

A felony conviction is going to show up on almost any background check worth a damn, even if it's in another state. This is one more reason why non-violent crimes should automatically be expunged if there's not a constant history -- I've never understood the logic behind punishing someone and ruining their chances at making a legitimate living later on in life after being "rehabilitated." If you didn't hurt someone or steal something, you shouldn't have to disclose that information to an employer.

rocket man

I have never had a felony but just wondering if yem them tpo ou do have a felony record and ups mgmt catches wind of it, is it enough to fire you for if you have done nothing wrong on ups time. A supervisor lied about me in a letter to another supervisor that i was a felon. I was fired the next day coincidance ?
idont the answer to your question? i i del near a local jail and a lot of people need directions to get there and they ask me how to get there i just tell the to punch a cop and drive away.

J

jibbs

idont the answer to your question? i i del near a local jail and a lot of people need directions to get there and they ask me how to get there i just tell the to punch a cop and drive away.

Basically, if a person has a felony conviction on their record that they don't disclose to management prior to offering employment, when/if management learns of the felonious criminal history they will have the option of terminating the employee-in-question for dishonesty.

For what it's worth, UPS most definitely hires felons/ex-convicts. As far as I know it's on a case-by-case basis but yeah, UPS'll definitely take a chance throwing you on the preload if you're honest and forthcoming (and not an obvious total piece of ****) about your past.