Doomsday Clock

vantexan

Big pay is a relative term. This post was sarcastic and childish. I'm not talking big and I'm not going to lead a union charge. I've been planning an exit for a very long time and the buyout talk in August was a big win. The company needs as many conformists as possible so keep up the good work. I'd like to see a union because the people need one and it couldn't happen to a finer company. Otherwise, the entire workforce within FedEx will look completely different and that's wrong.

No sarcasm intended. I'm observing what goes on here on a daily basis. You, on the other hand, made personal attacks. I've said over and over FedEx needs a union. But I'm facing a reality you and others either don't want to see or can't see: it's nearly impossible under current conditions for a union to get in. If I'm wrong prove it.

IsItME

Dear Isitme,

Congratulations on the buyout.

Don't let the door hit ya...
Thank you so much, bbsam. I know where I'm not wanted so I'll just leave. I take great pleasure in exiting this pathetic has been of a company. The door will hit all of us, including you. The only difference is I have a big pile of cash taped to my ***** to cushion the blow.
I admire your loyalty. Of course the company doesn't and will spit in your face when their done with you but hey, you're loyal. Congratulations to you as well.

IsItME

No sarcasm intended. I'm observing what goes on here on a daily basis. You, on the other hand, made personal attacks. I've said over and over FedEx needs a union. But I'm facing a reality you and others either don't want to see or can't see: it's nearly impossible under current conditions for a union to get in. If I'm wrong prove it.
All I see is you mocking and talking down those that see a vision of it happening and want to talk up the idea. What do you get out of that? Does it make you feel good to do it? It starts with talk and enough people, no matter how low or even full of crap voicing their frustration and getting others into the battle. I'm not here to prove this company can be unionized. although its not impossible-it is a monumental task. Difficult things have gotten done before and they've had to ignore people like yourself along the way. Your initial post was a personal attack. I never attacked you specifically although you seem to be self identifying with what I wrote. I'm obligated to keep it real. It's what I do.

vantexan

All I see is you mocking and talking down those that see a vision of it happening and want to talk up the idea. What do you get out of that? Does it make you feel good to do it? It starts with talk and enough people, no matter how low or even full of crap voicing their frustration and getting others into the battle. I'm not here to prove this company can be unionized. although its not impossible-it is a monumental task. Difficult things have gotten done before and they've had to ignore people like yourself along the way. Your initial post was a personal attack. I never attacked you specifically although you seem to be self identifying with what I wrote. I'm obligated to keep it real. It's what I do.

You were referring to me with the idiot comments. And if you go through the posts you'll see that I've been recently attacked by others. I'm just pointing out that without an actual union getting involved we have nearly zero chance of it happening. I'm saying that because some get on here selling false hope that a union can get in, but FedEx, through lobbying efforts, has made it near impossible. The expert here, R1a, has made it clear that only one union, The Teamsters, is in a position to help us and they went away after the FAA bill was passed without the attachment that would have allowed us to organize under the NLRA. And won't even return recent phone calls. What difficult things have the employees of FedEx gotten done? The reason I'm still here arguing with these folks is because we all got whipped into a frenzy by end-of-the-courier-world scenarios last year and I think someone has to point this stuff out before we get all hyped up again. That and the vicious attacks by some just make me want to stick around for the fun of it.

overflowed

Aren't you the one who had a high paying job at FedEx but took the buyout?

All you are doing is demonstrating what several others do on a regular basis, trying to shut down anyone you don't agree with. You guys don't believe in free speech, unless it jibes with what you think. Go ahead, get a union in. And while you are wasting time talking big I'm going to keep goading you on. A union won't come in by being discussed about ad nauseum by a bunch of big talkers. There's been plenty of talk. Let's see you put a plan into action.

Who are you talking to when you say "you guys?" None of us actually know each other besides what we read on this forum. US GUYS are not ganging up on vantexan, you are doing this to yourself pardner. Is that better friend? All you actually care about is YOU. This is a conspiracy against mid-range. No, it's against all your brothers and sisters new or old. Think about that and your dogs. Your dogs are not republicans or dems are they Van? You could feed them blue buffalo instead of pedigree. If you need to think that way have at it. I'm cool off you brother. But to me? I still will fight for you cause you do the same job as me. Still a bro to me. You sadden me.

overflowed

Hey dude? Be easy and congrats. Most of us are happy for you.

MAKAVELI

You were referring to me with the idiot comments. And if you go through the posts you'll see that I've been recently attacked by others. I'm just pointing out that without an actual union getting involved we have nearly zero chance of it happening. I'm saying that because some get on here selling false hope that a union can get in, but FedEx, through lobbying efforts, has made it near impossible. The expert here, R1a, has made it clear that only one union, The Teamsters, is in a position to help us and they went away after the FAA bill was passed without the attachment that would have allowed us to organize under the NLRA. And won't even return recent phone calls. What difficult things have the employees of FedEx gotten done? The reason I'm still here arguing with these folks is because we all got whipped into a frenzy by end-of-the-courier-world scenarios last year and I think someone has to point this stuff out before we get all hyped up again. That and the vicious attacks by some just make me want to stick around for the fun of it.
Nobody is selling anything here bro. If you want to be a spineless coward and do nothing because you have no hope for yourself or the future, then that is your choice. I have a different outlook on life, and the future. The future is not written in stone and nothing is impossible. Life is hard and full of obstacles. It's how you react to those obstacles is what sets us apart.

vantexan

Who are you talking to when you say "you guys?" None of us actually know each other besides what we read on this forum. US GUYS are not ganging up on vantexan, you are doing this to yourself pardner. Is that better friend? All you actually care about is YOU. This is a conspiracy against mid-range. No, it's against all your brothers and sisters new or old. Think about that and your dogs. Your dogs are not republicans or dems are they Van? You could feed them blue buffalo instead of pedigree. If you need to think that way have at it. I'm cool off you brother. But to me? I still will fight for you cause you do the same job as me. Still a bro to me. You sadden me.

How shall I address you when speaking about you then? And I hate to tell you, but topped out couriers have had reasonable pay for about 14 or 15 years now. We in midrange have had to settle for alot less. We plugged along thinking eventually they'd pay better, plus we have the pension. Now we don't have the old pension, and pay has been crap. A topped out employee on my payscale makes on 35 hours what takes me about 42 hrs and 18 minutes. In other words with the shrinking volume topped out couriers are in a much better position to hang in there. We in midrange have been crapped on forever and we are getting pushed out by poor pay. So don't tell me about us all being in this together because all I hear from topped out people is if anyone gets raises it should be them because of seniority. They have on my pay pretty much an extra paycheck every month, get more put into their 401k with a bigger match, get bigger 6 month bonuses, have more put into their cash balance plan, and pull further away from us when we're all given across the board 3% raises. More power to them but I can work past 20 years and still not have their pay by a long shot and according to the company that's good enough for me. So don't tell me after 14+ years of getting screwed that we're all in this together.

vantexan

Nobody is selling anything here bro. If you want to be a spineless coward and do nothing because you have no hope for yourself or the future, then that is your choice. I have a different outlook on life, and the future. The future is not written in stone and nothing is impossible. Life is hard and full of obstacles. It's how you react to those obstacles is what sets us apart.

You were calling me an idiot, now a spineless coward, and say that I was attacking others. Please tell me how I was doing anything but telling the truth, alot of name calling and big talk, but no action towards getting a union? Apparently you think it's ok for them to attack me but if I point anything out that's true I'm the one committing vicious attacks? Interesting take on things.

Ricochet1a

...almost an attempt to shame people who are passionate about something and it annoyed me.

That is his standard operating procedure. Never take a stand, never take any risk.

He states he is 'all willing to sign a rep card if one is presented to him' (with the organizer on flexed knee and with the card on a silver platter). But when people actually talk about getting rep cards signed, he changes into, "Don't be getting all agitated and everything - you might regret it"

Well, for people to sign representation cards, they NEED to be 'all agitated and everything'. Content employees don't organize, pissed off employees do. So what the hell is there to regret if one is indeed pissed off?

At the same time he states he would sign a rep card (heavily conditioned to the point of getting him off the hook), he comes out and warns Couriers to "not get all rash and hurried - slow down and think about it for a decade or so".

So what risk is there in signing a rep card? Doesn't commit one to vote 'yes' should a certification election ever be held. Doesn't cost anything other than the cost of a postage stamp. There is no risk.

So why in the hell the schism of "I'm with you (as long as certain conditions are met), accompanied by, "You'll never pull it off, so why even try"?

The only thing I can figure out is he is a multi-millionaire (in mind) that has found himself with barely a pot to crap in - and can't quite figure out how to reconcile the two conditions.

vantexan

You were calling me an idiot, now a spineless coward, and say that I was attacking others. Please tell me how I was doing anything but telling the truth, alot of name calling and big talk, but no action towards getting a union? Apparently you think it's ok for them to attack me but if I point anything out that's true I'm the one committing vicious attacks? Interesting take on things.

My apologies, I got you mixed in with IsItMe. My points still hold up though. Attack, attack, attack, that's all you do because you have no answers for the unlikelihood of getting a union.

MAKAVELI

Just calling it how I see it. If I were you and had no hope and just bidding my time, I wouldn't be wasting my time on here trying to convince everyone to think the same. I would just do my job, go home to my dogs and try to enjoy life. But I get the impression you have another motive. You know misery loves company.

vantexan

That is his standard operating procedure. Never take a stand, never take any risk.

He states he is 'all willing to sign a rep card if one is presented to him' (with the organizer on flexed knee and with the card on a silver platter). But when people actually talk about getting rep cards signed, he changes into, "Don't be getting all agitated and everything - you might regret it"

Well, for people to sign representation cards, they NEED to be 'all agitated and everything'. Content employees don't organize, pissed off employees do. So what the hell is there to regret if one is indeed pissed off?

At the same time he states he would sign a rep card (heavily conditioned to the point of getting him off the hook), he comes out and warns Couriers to "not get all rash and hurried - slow down and think about it for a decade or so".

So what risk is there in signing a rep card? Doesn't commit one to vote 'yes' should a certification election ever be held. Doesn't cost anything other than the cost of a postage stamp. There is no risk.

So why in the hell the schism of "I'm with you (as long as certain conditions are met), accompanied by, "You'll never pull it off, so why even try"?

The only thing I can figure out is he is a multi-millionaire (in mind) that has found himself with barely a pot to crap in - and can't quite figure out how to reconcile the two conditions.

Here we go again. I disagreed with you about the pay raise thing so now you have to make it personal. I've told you before that I've stuck my neck out and that's not good enough for you. I wonder how many of you have told a director in a station meeting how unfair pay is? And I didn't say a couple of sentences but spoke for several minutes. Had director cut me off and after meeting ask me twice if I'm not happy why don't I just leave? I've talked to others openly about getting a union. I've posted my name and location here several times. All of which you've ridiculed me for because you can't tolerate someone disagreeing with you. But I'm tired of people getting others all agitated by telling them the company is going to make then put in 12 hr days to only get 7 hrs and other such nonsense. It's all about provoking fear in others. They are greedy and have taken advantage of us. We need a union. But it's damn near impossible to get one in, especially in a short time frame. If y'all can do it, fine. And yes, I'm 51, have health issues and other obligations. A union isn't my top priority. But here's the thing about the Scots-Irish. We're the folk who've been fighting for centuries in Northern Ireland. As long as you keep coming at us we fight back. So keep attacking. I'll be here.

overflowed

Here we go again. I disagreed with you about the pay raise thing so now you have to make it personal. I've told you before that I've stuck my neck out and that's not good enough for you. I wonder how many of you have told a director in a station meeting how unfair pay is? And I didn't say a couple of sentences but spoke for several minutes. Had director cut me off and after meeting ask me twice if I'm not happy why don't I just leave? I've talked to others openly about getting a union. I've posted my name and location here several times. All of which you've ridiculed me for because you can't tolerate someone disagreeing with you. But I'm tired of people getting others all agitated by telling them the company is going to make then put in 12 hr days to only get 7 hrs and other such nonsense. It's all about provoking fear in others. They are greedy and have taken advantage of us. We need a union. But it's damn near impossible to get one in, especially in a short time frame. If y'all can do it, fine. And yes, I'm 51, have health issues and other obligations. A union isn't my top priority. But here's the thing about the Scots-Irish. We're the folk who've been fighting for centuries in Northern Ireland. As long as you keep coming at us we fight back. So keep attacking. I'll be here.

Pride?

IsItME

He states he is 'all willing to sign a rep card if one is presented to him' (with the organizer on flexed knee and with the card on a silver platter). But when people actually talk about getting rep cards signed, he changes into, "Don't be getting all agitated and everything - you might regret it" He's not thinking big and that's ok. He thinks it's too hard, it's a hassle, it's not going to happen. He could be right but it's all negativity. Would we ever put a man on the moon with that attitude? I have another reference regarding the Titanic that I'll use for a later time because that's exactly what this is, a sinking ship that is going under.

Ricochet1a

...So don't tell me after 14+ years of getting screwed that we're all in this together.

And that folks, is why our hero ISN'T really sympathetic to organizing. He still sees himself as an individual when he is at work, not part of a GROUP of employees who are getting the shaft.

We're all 'individual' when we are away from work, but when subjected to an environment such as Express - having 30,000 individuals each thinking they can somehow get a fair shake by just working harder is delusional.

He's been screwed so exceptionally hard, for so exceptionally long, that he is in a class by himself...

He just can't figure out why those who are in unions and talk about becoming unionized - talk about "brotherhood" and "solidarity" within the context of employment, and never think of "individual" as it deals with the employer.

In a blue collar work environment within a multi-billion dollar corporation, there is either a union which speaks for the WHOLE, or thousands of individuals each thinking they can somehow beat the system by just working hard. Hasn't worked out too well for our hero...

Our hero is all about himself, and can't quite figure out why in the hell he has been getting that screwing for so long and so hard. After all, he has determined that he has worked so hard (compared to all of those 'slackers') and so long - that he should be rewarded on the basis of his PERSONAL merit (and to hell with the rest of you).

If the Couriers are EVER to organize, they will have to give up the notion of being an individual while at work, and think of themselves as a collective WHOLE.

Our hero is incapable of ever doing that - he just wants the extra pay that being in a union shop would bring to HIM (God forbid that he'd actually have to work to achieve that though).