bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not if your area has informed the DOT that they are following the 70/8 rule. And a lot of areas have switched to that from the 60/7.

The 70/8 is just like the 60/7. You can not drive after working 70 hours in 8 days. So even if you only work 5 days, and do a 34 hour reset every weekend, you can work 70 hours instead of 60 over your 5 days.
I will give them 60 hours max per week. If they want more than that I will just call in. I'm physically spent by Friday the way it is now.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
After 12 hours delivering, I'm shot. Good way to cause an accident.

I agree. But for the most part, the 70/8 is not for working you more than 12 hours per day, it is to give you available hours to work on Saturday.

I know, 70 hours, 6 days a week isn't much safer.

35years

Gravy route
Not if your area has informed the DOT that they are following the 70/8 rule. And a lot of areas have switched to that from the 60/7.

The 70/8 is just like the 60/7. You can not drive after working 70 hours in 8 days. So even if you only work 5 days, and do a 34 hour reset every weekend, you can work 70 hours instead of 60 over your 5 days.
So under the 70/8 if they work me 70 hours M-Sat I can't drive on the following Monday even though I reset Sat 10PM-Mon 8AM? Or does the reset allow them to work me over 70 hours in Mon-Mon if I had a 34 hr reset?

Mon 12 hours
Tues 12 hours
Wed 12 hours
Thur 12 hours
Fri 12 hours
Sat 10 hours off at 9:30 PM
Sun off
Mon 8:30AM can I drive? I have worked 70 in the last 7

over9five

Staff member
So under the 70/8 if they work me 70 hours M-Sat I can't drive on the following Monday even though I reset Sat 10PM-Mon 8AM? Or does the reset allow them to work me over 70 hours in Mon-Mon if I had a 34 hr reset?

Mon 12 hours
Tues 12 hours
Wed 12 hours
Thur 12 hours
Fri 12 hours
Sat 10 hours off at 9:30 PM
Sun off
Mon 8:30AM can I drive? I have worked 70 in the last 7
Yes you can. You have reset with 34 hours off.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That just blows.
Why even call it 70 in 8 if it can be 70 in 7 and start again Monday?

It can be 70 in 5 days and then start again Monday. Five 14 hour days.

It is 70 in 8 days because it is technically for drivers that actually work 7 days a week. Over the road drivers.

35years

Gravy route
The 34 hour reset is used to maximize available driving hours.
I have read several places that the use of the 34 hour reset is completely optional.
Is it optional for the driver... or the dispatcher?

If it is the driver, then could I refuse to use the reset and limit my hours to 70 in 8 days if I am under the 70/8 rule?
In other words, if the reset is optional, could I refuse to drive Monday if I had 70 hrs the previous M-Sat?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The 34 hour reset is used to maximize available driving hours.
I have read several places that the use of the 34 hour reset is completely optional.
Is it optional for the driver... or the dispatcher?

If it is the driver, then could I refuse to use the reset and limit my hours to 70 in 8 days if I am under the 70/8 rule?
In other words, if the reset is optional, could I refuse to drive Monday if I had 70 hrs the previous M-Sat?

No. The reset is not optional. If you are off for 34 hours or more, your DOT hours reset, whether you want them to or not.

34 hours off and you have another 70.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So what happens if you go over and don't reset? Are you unavailable to drive until you reset the following week?

If you do not reset, you are on what is called a rolling 60 or rolling 70.

Meaning you need to keep your total hours under 70 for the last 8 days. As each new day starts, the hours from the day you worked 8 days ago drop off your total.

Theoretically, you could work 8 hours per day 7 days a week never having to do a 34 hour reset.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I know. I am positive I am over my hours however I have been told many different answers as to why I will be driving tomorrow. I feel like I am being thrown under the bus by my management.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I know. I am positive I am over my hours however I have been told many different answers as to why I will be driving tomorrow. I feel like I am being thrown under the bus by my management.
Demand to see the DOT HOS sheet in the AM. You AND the company will get fined if you drive and are over hours.