union4life

You idiots don't stop! I was a parts manager for about a year.. a service manager for about 9 years! go work your part time shift bud.. even you ft managers still work part time hours! Your Soft as melted butter on your mommas hot :censored2:!
This is the attitude we as union workers are being replaced with. Workers come to UPS looking for something better. They see our hourly rate and benefits and decide to try their hand at a new beginning.

Unfortunately, they bring their old habits with them under the disguise of "work ethic" and slowly erode all that was fought for over the years. Everything that made them want the job and make the switch is given back until the past retirees are sold out and the future employees no longer line up for this job.

Then they are left with a job like everyone else's job. Stripped of everything. The future Upsers wonder when and where it all went wrong.

Brown Jake, consider that we are not spoiled or soft but that the rest of the world's workforce is being fleeced. What lured you to this company was fought hard for. Protect it, please. Build upon it and make it even better. If the company needs us to start working more and longer, negotiate and get something for you and future workers. Don't just give it away. Keep up the standards and maintain them.

People say all the time that the rest of the working population doesn't have it as good as we do. Why in the world would you want to take a step backwards and be like the rest of the people who work in worse conditions or longer hours?

AutoZone

BrownPower
This is the attitude we as union workers are being replaced with. Workers come to UPS looking for something better. They see our hourly rate and benefits and decide to try their hand at a new beginning.

Unfortunately, they bring their old habits with them under the disguise of "work ethic" and slowly erode all that was fought for over the years. Everything that made them want the job and make the switch is given back until the past retirees are sold out and the future employees no longer line up for this job.

Then they are left with a job like everyone else's job. Stripped of everything. The future Upsers wonder when and where it all went wrong.

Brown Jake, consider that we are not spoiled or soft but that the rest of the world's workforce is being fleeced. What lured you to this company was fought hard for. Protect it, please. Build upon it and make it even better. If the company needs us to start working more and longer, negotiate and get something for you and future workers. Don't just give it away. Keep up the standards and maintain them.

People say all the time that the rest of the working population doesn't have it as good as we do. Why in the world would you want to take a step backwards and be like the rest of the people who work in worse conditions or longer hours?
I agree with you 100%.. I think you missed most of this thread tho and may have taken what you tagged out of context. Most of these internet bullies think they know how my hub and center operate. They try to spew their trash to other newbies.. one thing I've learned is most employees, management/hr/and hourlys have no idea what they're saying.. I've learned to not listen to anyone and just do my job.

UPS at any given contact expiration can reset and tell the union to kiss their ass.. the union is there to ensure safe working conditions, laws, rules, and rights are not taken advantage of. If we go to soft, ups will take back what all of you have fought for, I understand that.. but we go to hard, and abuse the rules like many do, they'll say to hell with the union and tell us all to have a nice day... It's happened in other companies.. I really believe that's the purpose of Orion, to make it brainless work so they can hire anyone of the street to run routes like FedEx does... they've got the money to sit back and retrain if needed.. Orion still has a long way to go of course, but they'll get it.. I'm a good blend of hard worker meets working right.. I don't run.. I don't slack.. I don't sort my truck during my lunch breaks like my sup told me I should do to make overallowed times go down. I could care less about those misconstrued made up numbers.. I just work at my pace.. it just so happens to be a little faster right now with me being young.. I'll slow down as I get older.. I don't plan on letting them take away the rights and benefits that you elders have fought for.. trust me.. I'll fight too!

Rack em

Made the Podium
In my 16 years of driving I have had about 6 guns pulled on me. I don't even knock once it gets past about 8 pm. Too dangerous.
I've never had a gun pointed at me, but last peak I did have an older customer answer the door with a shotgun in his hand. I no longer knock once it's dark.

moldsporh

Funny some of you guys think 60 hours a week is a lot. You've had it good for too long. Until I became a driver, it was always 2 jobs 60 hrs a week year after year after year just to get by. Same for lots of people out there.

Define "good" please.

"You've had it good for too long". Wow. You are something else.

I can work a 60 hr week. Done that quite a number of times. I don't care to...I like to put in my...eh, 44-52 hrs a week and go home..usually it's about 45 hrs.

Are you saying I, or we, should put in as many hours as YOU have or had to? Am I supposed to feel sorry for you.

I don't care why you had to work 2 jobs...some people do because of misfortune, some do because they have high-priced hobbies that seem to come first. For whatever reason, are you angry over people that don't need to work 2 jobs? I don't understand?

I have neighbors with nice houses and sweet cars, go on vacations alot....I salute them. I have my life to live and I'm playing the cards that were dealt to me. I'm not going to REMOTELY let someone that is not directly involved in my life, have any impact or bearing on me or my family. That's their life....I wish them well.

So, is the "good" that involves me getting home to my wife and kids at a decent time, something that needs to end because you had to work longer hours?

Unbelievable.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Define "good" please.

I can work a 60 hr week. Done that quite a number of times. I don't care to...I like to put in my...eh, 44-52 hrs a week and go home..usually it's about 45 hrs.

Are you saying I, or we, should put in as many hours as YOU have or had to? Am I supposed to feel sorry for you.

I don't care why you had to work 2 jobs...some people do because of misfortune, some do because they have high-priced hobbies that seem to come first. For whatever reason, are you angry over people that don't need to work 2 jobs? I don't understand?

I have neighbors with nice houses and sweet cars, go on vacations alot....I salute them. I have my life to live and I'm playing the cards that were dealt to me. I'm not going to REMOTELY let someone that is not directly involved in my life, have any impact or bearing on me or my family. That's their life....I wish them well.

So, is the "good" that involves me getting home to my wife and kids at a decent time, something that needs to end because you had to work longer hours?

Unbelievable.
If you and your co-workers don't want to work 70 hours a week grow a set of balls make it an issue at contract time and strike.

moldsporh

If you and your co-workers don't want to work 70 hours a week grow a set of balls make it an issue at contract time and strike.

Oh wow, another one.

Did you read/ comprehend what I quoted and what I replied? I'll help you.

It was about the "good" the poster mentioned.

Has NOTHING to do with a 70 hour week.

I won't be working a regular 70 hr week, guaranteed. All routes, if It even makes it through negotiations, won't be 6 days.

It will be a seasonal thing and only when necessary.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It does not help when management cannot even keep the DOT rules straight. We have management tell us we have 12.99 hours a certain day and that is punch to punch. Uh...I am sorry but that is not 12.99 hrs. That is 12.49 hrs.
Punch to Punch including your lunch only applies to a 14 hr day.
Now we will have the added confusion in the 70/8 of what the actual work day is when they cannot even keep the 60/7 straight.

JL 0513

Define "good" please.

Unbelievable.

You missed my point and the context of it.

We have a job that has a one month peak. We signed up for that. Just like if you sign up for retail, you're going to work more hours in December. Real shocker, I know.

It just gets me when guys start complaining about 60 hours a week in December. You're welcome to try and get a job that is just 40 every work week of the year. For those being required to go up to 70, that's another story. We do have numerous PART TIME people in my center with around 75 hours worked this week.

You have a problem with my idea that drivers have had it good. Losing sight of the realities millions of people deal with. That's all I'm saying is that there's this belief that we work excessive hours and we really don't. You haven't met many people if you think everyone just does 40 hours or less. Yeah, we work hard in December but we are Santa Claus.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It does not help when management cannot even keep the DOT rules straight. We have management tell us we have 12.99 hours a certain day and that is punch to punch. Uh...I am sorry but that is not 12.99 hrs. That is 12.49 hrs.
Punch to Punch including your lunch only applies to a 14 hr day.
Now we will have the added confusion in the 70/8 of what the actual work day is when they cannot even keep the 60/7 straight.

How can people make math so difficult?? They don't keep track of DOT hours, you do. Then you take your number and use it to verify their number.

I'm assuming 12.99 per day was management assuming you take a 1 hour meal which would drop the number to 11.98 (1 minute counts as .02 hundredths). That would allow you to work 5x12 hour days when you had a 60 hour week. If you are only taking 30 minutes of meal per day to get the 12.48 hours you would have been in violation on your 5th day unless you get 30 minutes of break per day and take it every day.

People, this is simple math! You are resetting every week so this could not be easier, start with 60 or 70 and subtract your hours on the job each day making sure to stay under 14 hours for the day, then add back in the meal and break you took when the day is over.

I will have 13 hours today with an hour meal and 10 minutes break. Since I started today at 70 hours I will have 70-13=57 hours remaining out of my 70 plus 1.17 credited back on for my meal and break time today. Tomorrow my time remaining for the week will be 58.17 hours.