DQ on day 2 for van across street backing into my truck on a turn.

Air Recovery

Just so you know they don't like you and would have DQ'd you no matter what.

If what you told us is actually true they were planning on axing you all along. The road test an qualification is really subjective. Some people get a slap on the wrist for rolling stops and others are dq'd that night upon bringing misses back to the building

11.19igrad

If I read your post correctly, you heard the guy hit something, you know that he did not speak English, so you spoke to him. Did you immediately report the collision?? If you did not, that is why you are done. You should have learned that at intergrad or whatever driver training you did.

If that is what happened, getting a lawyer will be a waste of time. You did not follow company procedure.
I called my sup right away.

11.19igrad

Was there bad van or truck damage? If there’s no police report, who’s to say it even happened? Sometimes playing dumb and not so honest is how you keep your job.

can you report a rogue collision with no known vehicle? As if you got hit while you were away and only saw some Minor damage later.

they tend to know when trucks are speeding, or question why a driver spent 7 extra minutes somewhere. They should have the data to know the truck was off, parking brake on, and the truck wasn’t moving, right?
exactly. I didnt think about the rouge part but that would be harder for the union to help me with... too late now anyway

11.19igrad

Just so you know they don't like you and would have DQ'd you no matter what.

If what you told us is actually true they were planning on axing you all along. The road test an qualification is really subjective. Some people get a slap on the wrist for rolling stops and others are dq'd that night upon bringing misses back to the building
nobody likes anyone. thats why there are laws and unions. just because people like eachother to eachothers face means nothing.

11.19igrad

I know you're angry and I would be, too. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. You might try talking to them again and respectfully ask for a second chance. Take full responsibility. Be humble. Even though it wasn't in the least your fault, as you're describing it.
done and done.

11.19igrad

Unless you are an insider. The company will drop you. It's a one-and-done deal without the union involved. They hate giving people second chances if they don't have to and qualifying on the second go is very common once you do.

As a general rule of thumb, the more naive you are, the more they want you.

On grid/residential streets you want to park away from driveways (give a clear path for the idiot) or block the street completely. I am of the belief that younger drivers get hit more often as a result, even if it can just be chalked up as bad luck.
I was about 6-8 feet diagonally to the guys left across the street about 2 feet off the curb.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I think I'm naive and thought hard work meant something here.

It does....

Until someone backs in to you, during your qualification period.

If that's really the way they want to do this I'll get a lawyer.

An (honest) lawyer can't do anything for you.

I'm not seasonal, I'm a new 22.4 from preload,

At least you're not off the street.

Here is your best chance;

File a grievance protesting the disqualification and ask for the safety manager

(not the safety committee) to review the situation.

I dont think its smart to under-estimate the power of leveraging social media in a clever way and a clever attorney.

Do that.... and you have no chance.

-Bug-

Last edited:

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Did you immediately report the collision?? If you did not, that is why you are done
This...

It's a 1 year suspension for the first offense at FXG, enough time for the driver to wise up and move on to greener pastures.

DQ for life after a 2nd offense

Re-Raise

I feel for you. It is a stupid policy to blame us when the other driver is clearly at fault.

I have been told many times that UPS judges avoidability not fault.

Their intention is to make us more aware of every possibility, which is fine until it costs you your job.

The same thing happened to me 26 yrs ago and it did make me more aware of the cars parked around me.

It didn’t cost me my job and I haven’t had as much as a scratch on my pkg car since, so it doesn’t mean you will be an unsafe driver.

I hope they give you another chance.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
He didn't report this accident immediately... he waited until he's rolling back to the center, for the sup to find that damage

If he contacted the sup and said his vehicle was hit while parked, and Chinese driver left the scene without waiting for an accident report/ cop... then I can see getting his job back

Overpaid Union Thug

I am in Nashville @ Massman, south center. Drove about last 6 weeks all thru peak, absolutely busted my ass to get better. I went from 3 hrs over to under 30min in a few weeks. My body is broken, just absolutely worked so hard to get ready for Jan qualification.

This :censored2:ing chinese dude, speaks no English, backs and swings out of his driveway right into my truck across the street from him, his passenger bumper edge. I was at the door of the house, just dropped the package and heard a wreck right before I turned around. I get back at 9 pm with my sup totally and rightfully freaked out and long story short, after the union guy trying to argue in my defense, I am DQ. The manager does not call the cops and does not make sure I'm still on the clock during the DQ meeting, which I'm told is in my favor. I'm more concerned that people hitting our trucks while we are doing our :censored2:ing job- bringing people their :censored2:- is still considered an accident. Are we supposed to throw :censored2: from the truck?? We need 70 drivers and these are the games they play?

There needs to be a sensor system that detects when drivers are away from the package car and detects any collision that happens during this time. Unless we are parked in an intersection or obviously insane, its automatically not an avoidable accident. Furthermore, I feel like there should be a voting system by other drivers who vote anonymously if it's not anything costing ups money, (which this wasn't, the driver didn't ask for :censored2: from ups, why would he?) before the driver is disciplined.

I am mortified and humiliated and even though I most likely will get it back, it feels like they would rather cut off their thumbs. We aren't putting ourselves through this :censored2: because we WANT to :censored2: it up.

I think I'm naive and thought hard work meant something here.

I was trained at Massman and the guy teaching the class was the safety manager for our district for a while. Or maybe he still is. Back then he was actually based in your building. If not then he/she is at Whites Creek. You should be able to get a quick answer. But I got to tell you if it’s the same guy he will probably not reverse that decision without a fight. If at all. You need to file a grievance if asking for another qualification period fails. That is the best advice anyone can give you. Don’t listen to all the negative Nancy’s on here. Your situation is not nearly as hopeless as they make it seem.
Wait till your hearing, ask for the insurance claim number, and then tell management you’ll be glad to inform the other persons insurance that UPS is claiming you’re at fault and to bill UPS for all damages.

LOL! A driver in my building did exactly that but only after letting the normal process play out. Apparently it worked. I remember our center manager was probably more frustrated than I’ve ever seen him when he was informed of that strategy. LOL

Overpaid Union Thug

He didn't report this accident immediately... he waited until he's rolling back to the center, for the sup to find that damage

If he contacted the sup and said his vehicle was hit while parked, and Chinese driver left the scene without waiting for an accident report/ cop... then I can see getting his job back
He said he contacted his supervisor immediately.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Wait till your hearing, ask for the insurance claim number, and then tell management you’ll be glad to inform the other persons insurance that UPS is claiming you’re at fault and to bill UPS for all damages.

Really.... ?

Let me know, how that works out.