Driver dropped my glass door

UPSGUY72

When I work the preload there was and old driver that was working at 22.3 job on the inside before he retired. One day he said if your having a bad day there nothing better than dropping a TV to help things out...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When I work the preload there was and old driver that was working at 22.3 job on the inside before he retired. One day he said if your having a bad day there nothing better than dropping a TV to help things out...

Borrowed from BB: I know nothing!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Well until this guy is running a route and makes a mistake like this he has no room to speak of I had a resi stop that ordered 3 cases of salsa the other day and 1 of them smelled like 1 broke open inside but, no noise and no leakage and it was 108degrees ill claim ignorance since I couldn't be sure anything was broken, mistakes happen we are human when you're delivering 300+ packages a day eventually you're gonna make a mistake

If a box has bulk glass jars of foodstuffs or cosmetics and you suspect one might be broken, the logical thing to do is to deliver it anyway, get them out of our system, and then the shipper can just credit the consignee for whatever portion of the order is missing or damaged. Theres a big difference between 1 damaged jar of salsa out of 24 versus a TV with a busted screen.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If a box has bulk glass jars of foodstuffs or cosmetics and you suspect one might be broken, the logical thing to do is to deliver it anyway, get them out of our system, and then the shipper can just credit the consignee for whatever portion of the order is missing or damaged. Theres a big difference between 1 damaged jar of salsa out of 24 versus a TV with a busted screen.
what about the cases of printing paper? I just love when they bust all over the place, the sup makes us tape up the case missing two reams and load it anyway. When the customer opens his paper, is he wondering why there's pages with my boot prints on them?? Lol

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm forever amazed with how often large panes of glass are shipped poorly. Really, another glass pane shipped in a cardboard sleeve stapled on the edges to keep it closed? One occurrence of isolated pressure on the front will shatter is more often than not.

As the tracking has indicated you're likely to get a replacement sent to you soon. The company should get in contact with a new shipping number soon enough.

I'm forever amazed with how often large panes of glass are shipped poorly. Really, another glass pane shipped in a cardboard sleeve stapled on the edges to keep it closed? One occurrence of isolated pressure on the front will shatter is more often than not.
i agree, people do not pack properly. not the right size box, not enough packing material, not enough tape. i have a company on my route that gets packages they send back and forth to another company and their so cheap they reuse the boxes over and over again when they send them. when i pick them up i always tell the shipping guy this box may not make the trip, and he always says i don't care.....so i don't care either.

Marlin3030hntr

Well until this guy is running a route and makes a mistake like this he has no room to speak of I had a resi stop that ordered 3 cases of salsa the other day and 1 of them smelled like 1 broke open inside but, no noise and no leakage and it was 108degrees ill claim ignorance since I couldn't be sure anything was broken, mistakes happen we are human when you're delivering 300+ packages a day eventually you're gonna make a mistake

Trust me I agree all I was saying is mistakes happen no one is 110% everyday tho I try to be

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good Lord OP, why did he need to tell you? He dropped it, you saw it, haven't you ever dropped anything? Sheesh.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Are you condoning what the driver allegedly did?
Was I Condoning an accident? No accident can be condoned, but They happen. That's why UPS has insurance.
Is it unfortunate? Yes.
I probably would have said something like hey sorry no tv for you, sorry, call here.
But the guy said he saw it slip out of his hand and fall. Not that the guy threw it or anything malicious. Do we really need to be berated by a customer for having an accident with a package? I know I don't!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I've been told by management on more than one occasion that shippers, such as those who ship fluorescent light bulbs, are under an agreement that anything broken can not be issued a claim. Again, not sure how much truth to this there is, just something I've been told a few times by different regimes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was I Condoning an accident? No accident can be condoned, but They happen. That's why UPS has insurance. Is it unfortunate? Yes. I probably would have said something like hey sorry no tv for you, sorry, call here. But the guy said he saw it slip out of his hand and fall. Not that the guy threw it or anything malicious. Do we really need to be berated by a customer for having an accident with a package? I know I don't!

I wasn't talking about the accident---we all have those---I was talking about not "manning up" and telling the customer what happened to the package and what she would have to do to get it replaced.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We are told not to present a pkg to a customer, that we fear is broken, or damaged. To leave it on the truck. I don't know, it opens doors like, "well let me look at it" "You are a dumb butt for breaking my pkg, don't you know how to handle things". "Lets open it and see, maybe its just parts rolling around". Don't know where the driver was, I may say something like, Your pkg got smashed, call this number, but we have to trust the drivers to make some decisions. This one surely would have slowed down the pace, and subjected him to ridicule.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've been told by management on more than one occasion that shippers, such as those who ship fluorescent light bulbs, are under an agreement that anything broken can not be issued a claim. Again, not sure how much truth to this there is, just something I've been told a few times by different regimes.

We wont pay a claim on light bulbs unless each individual bulb is encased in 4" of expanded polystyrene foam.

It would cost more to ship a bulb in this manner than the bulb itself is worth because you could only fit a couple
of bulbs in each box. It is actually cheaper for the shipper to omit the padding, pack as many bulbs as possible in each box, and accept that some will break in transit. A lot of light bulb shippers will "overfill" a customers order; if the customer orders 30 bulbs they will ship 32 of them on the assumption that an average of 2 per box will break en route.

FilingBluesFL

We are told not to present a pkg to a customer, that we fear is broken, or damaged. To leave it on the truck. I don't know, it opens doors like, "well let me look at it" "You are a dumb butt for breaking my pkg, don't you know how to handle things". "Lets open it and see, maybe its just parts rolling around". Don't know where the driver was, I may say something like, Your pkg got smashed, call this number, but we have to trust the drivers to make some decisions. This one surely would have slowed down the pace, and subjected him to ridicule.

I gotta agree with this. We just got a new DIAD training that specifically said, NOT to deliver ANY PACKAGE that has damage, signs of damage, or you might think is damaged.

I even made sure to take a picture, so when I'm asked "why didn't you deliver this?" "Because I was instructed not to, and I work as instructed" and show the picture of the big RED "NO" circle on top of a damaged package where it says "Do not deliver damaged packages."

What bothers me is when someone orders a TV and has it shipped through us. Then we get the black eye, because it was damaged when it gets to their house, and we're delivering another one two days later.

I spend more time out of my day explaining to these people what "Retail packaging" and "Shipping packaging" is and what the differences are. "Your TV was shipped to your house in RETAIL packaging, which means it's meant to sit in this box, on the shelf of a store. This box is NOT meant for shipping through a common carrier, like UPS, FEDEX. It's too expensive for them to properly package and ship as many TV's as they do, and it's cheaper just to send a replacemnt then spend all that money on boxes, packing material, and tape."

They still look at me like I just crapped on their lawn...

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I can't believe that the OP thought the UPS driver would place his job in jeporady by getting rid of the door. No way will a driver risk 70,000 dollars a year on a stupid oven door.............