Driver of 20 years, how do I get out of the union?

542thruNthru

At 39 yrs old I didn’t have a mortgage payment, Car payment or credit card debt. I planned when I was in my 20’s to be debt free by 40, I beat it by 6 months. To be honest I did go back in debt at the age of 46 to buy another house but paid it off in 2 1/2 yrs so I was debt free again at 49 yrs old and had 2 houses with no mortgage. I retired at 57 so I guess this older generation guy falls into your stereotype perfectly.

PS. My wife never worked. This was done on UPS pay.
There's always an exception to the rule. It's not a stereotype either. It's facts. The older generation did not save and a lot of them still have to work into their 70s because of it. They relied on social security to be their safety net. The same will probably be true for many generations after them as well.

All I'm trying to point out is the old timers love to blame the young kids but I know plenty of guys with 30 plus years that couldn't retire if their lives depended on it. It's just want every generation loves to do. Pretend they are some how better then the next.

Johney

2 maybe 3 weeks is all the company would be willing to be shut down. If they were broke and had nothing to loose it would be a different story but they are too used to making money hand over fist to let that cash cow dry up. After about 3 weeks they would cave and you would get a much better contract. JMO.
The opposite side of the coin is if they ride it out and break the union how much more money could they make. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a strike fund also. Face it by week 4 they'd have so many cross and all the old guys would be filing retirement paperwork.

rod

Retired 22 years
The opposite side of the coin is if they ride it out and break the union how much more money could they make. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a strike fund also. Face it by week 4 they'd have so many cross and all the old guys would be filing retirement paperwork.
They wouldn't hemorrhage money for long. The share holders would make sure of that.

Thebrownblob

They wouldn't hemorrhage money for long. The share holders would make sure of that.
I’m sure UPS thinks they would save money. But really we are bargain. Amazon is really struggling and losing money. Gig work, and paying people poorly, only works for so long. 22.4s are barely staying as it is, and they have a path to top scale RPCD pay eventually. Without that I doubt any of them would stay.

2 maybe 3 weeks is all the company would be willing to be shut down. If they were broke and had nothing to loose it would be a different story but they are too used to making money hand over fist to let that cash cow dry up. After about 3 weeks they would cave and you would get a much better contract. JMO.
It's all about the stock price anymore.