Driver of 20 years, how do I get out of the union?

OP is probably a troll. No way you could make it 23yrs, and not learn about managements' 1000 ways to mess with you.
I’m not, I'm a real, live, person who actually enjoys my job and likes my employer. The part I don’t like about this job? Is listening to all the drivers complain about their job and how it’s god awful yet they’re still here. In 23 years as I stated I’ve never been treated poorly by management, never filed a grievance, and never needed union representation.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I’m not, I'm a real, live, person who actually enjoys my job and likes my employer. The part I don’t like about this job? Is listening to all the drivers complain about their job and how it’s god awful yet they’re still here. In 23 years as I stated I’ve never been treated poorly by management, never filed a grievance, and never needed union representation.
NOT YET !!

Thebrownblob

So you dislike listening to people complain and you come here? Lol

Thebrownblob

NOT YET !!
He’s needed union representation his whole career he just didn’t know it, that’s why he enjoys the pay, the benefits, and the retirement that will Follow. You’ve never filed a grievance? Big deal lots of people don’t. 90% of the time I deal with 10% of the people. The other 90% are smart enough to be grateful to have a union that makes sure we have all the great things we have. Ask management how they’re treated now without any kind of representation by the company.

542thruNthru

Did you ever pay for your uniforms?

Did you ever pay for a DFU package what was never found?

Did you ever pay a monthly amount for your medical benefits?

Did you ever not use your seniority for:

Going FT?

Bidding a route?

Vacation?

8 hour request?

A dead day?

Extra work?

Did you ever have to take a drug test for getting in a accident?

Did you ever lose your job for a minor accident?

Did you ever lose your job for a bogus customer complaint?

When you retire will you not accept your pension?

Like I said... Small minded people.

"Oh I've never had to use the union because I don't get in trouble." .....says the man that uses the benefits the union has gotten and maintains for him everyday.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
He’s needed union representation his whole career he just didn’t know it, that’s why he enjoys the pay, the benefits, and the retirement that will Follow. You’ve never filed a grievance? Big deal lots of people don’t. 90% of the time I deal with 10% of the people. The other 90% are smart enough to be grateful to have a union that makes sure we have all the great things we have. Ask management how they’re treated now without any kind of representation by the company.
Amen brother.

Rpcd?

Where im at it’s a closed shop,if you don’t want to be in the union you either suck it up and enjoy the endless benefits or quit and every non-right to work state

Hot Carl

I just find it funny. The old-timers always say the young kids are going to cross first. Yet everyday all you hear from the old timers is how the young kids always take dead days and don't want to work.

So which is it? They need the money or they don't need the money??
They like to criticize us anytime we’re standing around without a DIAD waiting to go home. “Hur dur, why don’t you ever wanna work?” I tell them every time, “You’re not the one forced to work 6 days every :censored2:in week.”

Cowboy Mac

Young people today just don't want to work for their money.
That’s a generalization.
today @Johney I worry about this new breed not caring
Another generalization. I know many young drivers in their 20’s and 30’s that stand together against management. They file grievances and attend local union meetings.

There are some dummies, don’t get me wrong, but there are also a lot of smart, hard working, and responsible millennials.

tourists24

Yet you're in a union job

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Old timers don't have a mortgage payment? Car payments? Credit card debt.

Oh I forgot the older generation knew how to save money that's why they are not working into their 70s.....
My house is almost paid off and the wife has a lease that gets subsidized from her job. I willing to sacrifice a long strike!

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Old timers don't have a mortgage payment? Car payments? Credit card debt.

Oh I forgot the older generation knew how to save money that's why they are not working into their 70s.....

At 39 yrs old I didn’t have a mortgage payment, Car payment or credit card debt. I planned when I was in my 20’s to be debt free by 40, I beat it by 6 months. To be honest I did go back in debt at the age of 46 to buy another house but paid it off in 2 1/2 yrs so I was debt free again at 49 yrs old and had 2 houses with no mortgage. I retired at 57 so I guess this older generation guy falls into your stereotype perfectly.

PS. My wife never worked. This was done on UPS pay.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Here it is again:

I posted this earlier this morning pretty much knowing the responses to my question would be exactly as they are:

• Rude
  • Condescending
  • Completely unhelpful
  • Juvenile
  • Nasty
  • And down right ignorant.
(with very VERY few exceptions).

This has made me believe more strongly that the Union is not at all for me, as I’m nothing like the people behind these replies. I place full responsibility on the Union for bringing out such incredible greed and entitlement.

(don’t forget who you’re actually working for)

✌️ ❤️ 😉,

Scab
Before you withdraw from the Union (if able) do this….find an older FedEx Express driver that has worked there for 25+ years and ask them how many perks and benefits have been taken away in that time. Also, ask them how much their insurance is. And most importantly, ask about pay and raises. Or ask if after 20 years are they even at top pay. I guarantee you they can give you a whole laundry list of takeaways. You know why? Because there is NO union. FedEx does what they want, when they want, crying poverty the whole time, knowing the hourlies can’t do a damn thing about it.

Thing is, FedEx has been making record profits for years, while shafting the frontline people, but the executives and shareholders make big money. YOU on the other hand make top dollar and have excellent benefits because your Union has fought for them, not due to the largesse of UPS.

If people want to bitch and moan about how UPS treats them, ignore them. They might have earned that right.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am a driver of 20 years, I’ve been in the union the entire time.

How do I get out of the Union?
Believe it or not there are many of us at UPS that have gotten pretty frustrated with the union. Whether it be our local or the national. Some of us might have even gotten more frustrated than you are now. But I have never really entertained the idea of withdrawing. It just wouldn’t feel right knowing that I’d continue to receive every tangible benefit that comes/came with the Teamsters representing us. And there’s the potential repercussions from your coworkers and/or union reps. The latter is one that just makes me laugh. Like, for example, when I see the biggest antiunion driver in my center handing in a grievance to one of the stewards. That is wrong in so many ways. RTW sucks for that reason.

RTW wouldn’t be so bad if nonmembers were forced to fend for themselves. Which would result in many, if not all, of them coming back in. The ones that aren’t fired anyway.

I would seriously reconsider what you are trying to do. I can almost guarantee you will regret it if you don’t.

Bob1313

Having spoken with many of the other guy's drivers, there are good reasons their turnover is so high. As one who has worked both sides, my preference is a Union Job.

rod

Retired 22 years
My opinion is if there's a strike the company will take it as far as they can. Way more than the two week strike in 97. just my opinion. We shall see.
2 maybe 3 weeks is all the company would be willing to be shut down. If they were broke and had nothing to loose it would be a different story but they are too used to making money hand over fist to let that cash cow dry up. After about 3 weeks they would cave and you would get a much better contract. JMO.