Drivers: What do you do with all your money?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thing is, I never need to make a conscious effort to save anything. I just stay meticulous with my spending and there's plenty left over. People would shxt if they knew what I had saved at my age. And that's just the raw amount in the bank, not counting any 401k or savings accounts.

Truth be told, that money would be put to better use in your 401k or other retirement fund.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The thing is, I never need to make a conscious effort to save anything. I just stay meticulous with my spending and there's plenty left over. People would shxt if they knew what I had saved at my age. And that's just the raw amount in the bank, not counting any 401k or savings accounts.
good for you. we are the same way. I was commenting on the general population and not you.

That is why we were able to retire 5 years early because we saved so much. the 97 strike was a wake up call and my parents grew up during the depression. they were a big influence also.

Re-Raise

You just need the right balance. But if you lived like a cheapskate for one year and loaded up on your 401k it would be astronomical a few decades from now.
Now that I am one of the "old guys" I can vouch for this. My wife put 8% in her 401k which her employer matched,and I invested in a Trowe Price acct. We didn't really miss it and now 30 yrs later we make more in week off of our investments than we make working. Thinking long-term pays off.

Now that I am one of the "old guys" I can vouch for this. My wife put 8% in her 401k which her employer matched,and I invested in a Roth. We didn't really miss it and now 30 yrs later we make more in week off of our investments than we make working. Thinking long-term pays off.
It sure does. I wished somebody would have beat that into me during my early years.

We didn't even have a 401k back then

The Driver

I drive.
Saving for a big house downpayment and contributing to my 401k. I'd love to own my own place outright by the time I'm in my early 40's. I figure with diligence I can make it happen in ten years. Then all the money after that is mine and the bank has zero claim on it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saving for a big house downpayment and contributing to my 401k. I'd love to own my own place outright by the time I'm in my early 40's. I figure with diligence I can make it happen in ten years. Then all the money after that is mine and the bank has zero claim on it.

At this point it might be smarter for you to keep renting and focus on your retirement.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The bank maybe.....the IRS not so much. Tax write offs are your friend.
you should check Dave Ramsey on that. We saved over $135,000 in interest payments by paying off our house off 13 years early.

Our interest per year was 12-15 grand a year and going down, of course. Our tax savings was about between 3-4k per year but we are investing an extra $17 grand a year now.

The last several years we have been banking the $1450 mortgage payment we use to pay into other investments.

Our pension was only $35k last year but our investments went up about $150k in the same time. Granted, it was a good year and we know that is not going to happen probably with the donald.

R
you should check Dave Ramsey on that. We saved over $135,000 in interest payments by paying off our house off 13 years early.

Our interest per year was 12-15 grand a year and going down, of course. Our tax savings was about between 3-4k per year but we are investing an extra $17 grand a year now.

The last several years we have been banking the $1450 mortgage payment we use to pay into other investments.

Our pension was only $35k last year but our investments went up about $150k in the same time. Granted, it was a good year and we know that is not going to happen probably with the donald.
Ramsey is a butt hole

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

The Driver

I drive.
At this point it might be smarter for you to keep renting and focus on your retirement.

I'm trying to settle on how much rent is too much rent when I hit top scale. Actually one of the things I care about is being able to have a loud stereo one day. Can't really do that and rent most places.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm trying to settle on how much rent is too much rent when I hit top scale. Actually one of the things I care about is being able to have a loud stereo one day. Can't really do that and rent most places.
Live in your car and park down by the river and you can have your stereo as loud as you want.