Dues, Initiation Fees Just for Seasonal Drivers?

MassWineGuy

The people that complain about dues, can i use your membership to your country club or your membership to Costco? ... The OP worked 3 seasonals and ripped off the local by not paying dues should be ashamed for what he did. It should be the local that's upset not him.

Huh? Please tell me the name of the meds you're on. I want to take them, too.

No country clubs or Costco here. But I could really use your help paying my son's college tuition. On second thought, I could use the $500 my local is stealing from me even more. And while I am unsure just what "The OP worked 3 seasonals and ripped off the local by not paying dues" means, I think it refers to my two seasons as a driver's helper being paid $9.50 an hour. Are you seriously suggesting that someone paid that low a wage get dues and init. fees deducted? Why not just line them all up and shoot them? It would get the same result, just faster.

Each local appears to be its own little fiefdom that can set policies and issue royal decrees. No wonder the Teamsters constantly come under criminal investigation.

Stonefish

Huh? Please tell me the name of the meds you're on. I want to take them, too.

No country clubs or Costco here. But I could really use your help paying my son's college tuition. On second thought, I could use the $500 my local is stealing from me even more. And while I am unsure just what "The OP worked 3 seasonals and ripped off the local by not paying dues" means, I think it refers to my two seasons as a driver's helper being paid $9.50 an hour. Are you seriously suggesting that someone paid that low a wage get dues and init. fees deducted? Why not just line them all up and shoot them? It would get the same result, just faster.

Each local appears to be its own little fiefdom that can set policies and issue royal decrees. No wonder the Teamsters constantly come under criminal investigation.
No meds big boy.
Can you walk into a country club or Costco where members pay dues to play golf or buy goods? The answer is no. You have to pay for membership. Pay for your son's tuition with the money you make from you good union job. If he worked 3 seasonal periods as a helper at least in my area is $15 per hour so yes he ripped off the local for what was negotiated. Shoot him NO but make him pay his dues HELL YES. I'm sure you just let someone walk in your house and take what they want with your hard earned money.
No one in my local has ever been under criminal investigation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No meds big boy.
Can you walk into a country club or Costco where members pay dues to play golf or buy goods? The answer is no. You have to pay for membership. Pay for your son's tuition with the money you make from you good union job. If he worked 3 seasonal periods as a helper at least in my area is $15 per hour so yes he ripped off the local for what was negotiated. Shoot him NO but make him pay his dues HELL YES. I'm sure you just let someone walk in your house and take what they want with your hard earned money.
No one in my local has ever been under criminal investigation.

Dues in my local are 3 times our hourly. We don't extract dues from seasonal workers as we know it is not the right thing to do. Does your local really need the $45 that badly?

Stonefish

Dues in my local are 3 times our hourly. We don't extract dues from seasonal workers as we know it is not the right thing to do. Does your local really need the $45 that badly?
How many seasonal drivers, helpers and inside employees do the use in your local? If 45 isn't that much why don't you pay for it. If they shorted your check you would complain.

Inthegame

3X dues rate (year round) results in much more revenue than seasonal fees for your locals treasury, (and the IBT's) so it appears your local also needs the funding.

MassWineGuy

Yes, my local is obviously run by people who are very unwise, very greedy, or criminal. Or all three. Because yes, the initiation fee is $500 big ones from me, who will not be working after Jan. 1st and have zero coverage under the contract. Lynnfield (North), Mass. center.

Stone, if I DID have some benefits under the lovely Teamster contract I would be glad to pay the extortion initiation fee. How about this, little boy? You go into a supermarket and before you go in they put their hands into your pocket and remove your money. The food prices are still obscenely high and you get nothing in return except empty pockets.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to force me into paying dues when I have no coverage or benefits under the contract is extremely stupid, blind and misguided. If they drive, it's a miracle they don't crash their package car daily. Yes, unions are good and needed. Workers should have rights, benefits and strength in n umbers. But what it's become, at least some of the union management, is a legalized criminal operation.

Stonefish

Yes, my local is obviously run by people who are very unwise, very greedy, or criminal. Or all three. Because yes, the initiation fee is $500 big ones from me, who will not be working after Jan. 1st and have zero coverage under the contract. Lynnfield (North), Mass. center.

Stone, if I DID have some benefits under the lovely Teamster contract I would be glad to pay the extortion initiation fee. How about this, little boy? You go into a supermarket and before you go in they put their hands into your pocket and remove your money. The food prices are still obscenely high and you get nothing in return except empty pockets.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to force me into paying dues when I have no coverage or benefits under the contract is extremely stupid, blind and misguided. If they drive, it's a miracle they don't crash their package car daily. Yes, unions are good and needed. Workers should have rights, benefits and strength in n umbers. But what it's become, at least some of the union management, is a legalized criminal operation.

If they are truly unwise, very greedy or criminal, you should fine charges fun against them or do something about it Mass WHINER Guy. The thing here is you are forced to go to the grocery store to get food. If someone puts their hands in your pockets you must like it. How long do they keep them in? Just curious.

As far as forcing/extorting you into paying dues no one is forcing/extorting you. You allow UPS to abuse you for 3 consecutive years, they haven't hired you. I ask why? But you keep coming back year after year. It isn't legalized criminalization.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I am an individual, therefore not an organization.
Read and think about what I posted.
Any organization will tend to accumulate power for the purpose of using that power to their advantage.
Unions as a whole are no better or worse than corporations ... they are both organizations.

You believe that people don't tend to accumulate power (and wealth) for the purpose of abusing that power (and wealth) to their advantage?

Game, I find your nearly total lack of logical thinking most interesting. Forget the number of hours I do or don't work as a seasonal. UPS has nothing to do with having initiation fees and dues deducted from my checks (other than that they process the payments). I can't tell from your post what century or even world you're living in, but you may want to wake up.

In the Central States region, driver helpers earn $12.88/hour -- which will increase to $15.00/hour after the contract's implemented. Meanwhile, similar seasonal jobs pay $7.20 to $7.50. Most locals do not assess initiation fees, with others assess heavily reduced initiation fees. Given that these helpers will be earning more than twice that of what they would at Macy's, working similar (if not more) hours, then yes, I think it's fair they return 2.5 hours to the organization that negotiated from what would otherwise be a minimum wage job.

MassWineGuy

The thing here is you are forced to go to the grocery store to get food. If someone puts their hands in your pockets you must like it. How long do they keep them in? Just curious.

As far as forcing/extorting you into paying dues no one is forcing/extorting you. You allow UPS to abuse you for 3 consecutive years, they haven't hired you. I ask why? But you keep coming back year after year. It isn't legalized criminalization.

Ah, now we finally see what kiond of person you are. A bit homophobic, aren't you? Well, that's just what "real" men like you do to make this world a better place, I guess. Let me put in a way that even you may perhaps understand. You mention Costco. If you joined, paid their fees, etc. and they offered no discounts on products or any other visible benefit, would you be glad to keep paying? Maybe you would, but most others wouldn't.

As for working for UPS for three years. Get your eyes checked, boys. Heads, too. Every shred of work I ever did and do for UPS is on a temporary basis. I always got positive rehire recommendations. No issues with me or my work.

But I there are definite and disturbing issues with the lemming-like blind Teamster love you're trying to sell. At the moment, I owe them nothing. And they've done nothing for me. If and when I am gifted with coverage under the contract, my viewpoint will change.

PT Car Washer

$12.88 an hour may sound like a great PT wage until factor in that you have no guaranteed hours or even days worked. You may work 3 hours a day or 3 days a week. After Dec. 24 you are gone. My local does not charge dues or fees for seasonal workers.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
$12.88 an hour may sound like a great PT wage until factor in that you have no guaranteed hours or even days worked. You may work 3 hours a day or 3 days a week. After Dec. 24 you are gone. My local does not charge dues or fees for seasonal workers.

...which is indifferent from taking a seasonal job at Macy's. Except you're earning nearly twice the wage (and more than once the contract's implemented) and have weekends and holidays off. Central States also agreed to extend the helping season through the third week of January. Most of the outside helpers will finish the helping season with over 200 hours and $2500. Pretty solid compared to the take of a seasonal's Macy's employee.

The pay is so good (compared to what else is out there for those seeking menial seasonal employment) that the majority of helpers are friends & family of the drivers. Helpers started working Nov. 4 here, but my first helping day wasn't until 11 working days later, and with a friend who's only able to use me 4-5 hours per day, and probably not beyond Christmas Eve. It's worked out so far because of the hours I'm getting on Preload and pulling a double onto Local Sort, but would otherwise cost me about $2000 for the season.

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is drivers who play the union card, but then demand to use their kid the first day of the helping season, despite the fact that the contract states no outside hires shall be used until the supply of union employees is exhausted.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But I there are definite and disturbing issues with the lemming-like blind Teamster love you're trying to sell. At the moment, I owe them nothing. And they've done nothing for me. If and when I am gifted with coverage under the contract, my viewpoint will change.

Make sure the Union has your correct address so they send you a lump of coal for Christmas.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Make sure the Union has your correct address so they send you a lump of coal for Christmas.

If he doesn't like paying union dues, he can always go work seasonally -- for less -- for FedEx Ground, right?

I know retro pay is in the contract but does it apply to seasonal workers?

I haven't been able to find a concrete answer, but my business agent is insisting that it will not apply to seasonal workers. He's not certain if it will apply to union employees working as helpers, either. (CS is going from $12.88 to $15.00).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I think you answered that question for yourself.

Smartazz...

Kinda reminds me of the guys who bid on a route with a 7PM UPS store pick-up... then @$!~!, whine, and groan about the late pick-up. Does UPS attract solely whiners... or is it life in general?