Dues, Initiation Fees Just for Seasonal Drivers?

oldngray

nowhere special
Smartazz...

Kinda reminds me of the guys who bid on a route with a 7PM UPS store pick-up... then @$!~!, whine, and groan about the late pick-up. Does UPS attract solely whiners... or is it life in general?

What really sucks to be on a route next to that one with a late pickup.Someone bids on the late route, whines about it, and if they are one of management's favorites the pickup gets moved off them to another route.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it ironic how the apologists for this immoral Union practice are some of the most critical of UPS management when they use the authority of their position to dodge personal responsibility to treat others as they would wish to be treated.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I find it ironic how the apologists for this immoral Union practice are some of the most critical of UPS management when they use the authority of their position to dodge personal responsibility to treat others as they would wish to be treated.

I certainly don't agree with the practice of whacking helpers earning $8.50-$9.50/hour with an initiation fee and dues. But I ponder how many locals do this -- as I mentioned, mine assesses a one-time monthly dues fee (2.5 hours) for seasonal helpers, and they earn $12.88/hour here ($15 under the new contract). The one-time fee is assessed only when the helper works a certain threshold. Quite frankly, if the union was whacking helpers with $200+ initiation fees and dues, UPS would never find anyone willing to do the job, since higher wages could be earned elsewhere, thus I'm very skeptical.

What I find ironic are the people accepting seasonal jobs at UPS for $16.10 and $12.88 (or more, if retroactive pay is due) because they pay significantly more than what the competition's paying and then whine and cry about having the pay minimal dues / initiation (like I said, it's limited for seasonal in most places), even though they're still netting higher take-home pay. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....

MassWineGuy

...even though they're still netting higher take-home pay.

Yes. Enormous take home. Last week I worked only on Friday and grossed about $180. My check was for $19 after taxes, the $50 fee and $25 dues deductions. Yes. I don't know what gets into some people who complain about the saintly Teamsters. I truly do like the union and want to belong. I just hate my local and I don't want to pay into it unless I get something out of it.

MassWineGuy

How can you afford your job? Do you have another source of income to subsidize your UPS job?

I'm married and my wife works, but our income is far from luxurious. I worked every day this past week and know that's how it will be moving forward. But my take home will still suck.

Stonefish

I'm married and my wife works, but our income is far from luxurious. I worked every day this past week and know that's how it will be moving forward. But my take home will still suck.
What job do you hold when you aren't driving for UPS during the seasonal period?

MassWineGuy

What job do you hold when you aren't driving for UPS during the seasonal period?

You wouldn't want to know. And to clarify for what I hope is the last time, I have never applied for a permanent job with UPS. For three years I've applied for seasonal work and for three years UPS hired me for the positions I applied for. Not much rejection there. I'm a fantastic person and great employee. Just ask me.

Stonefish

You wouldn't want to know. And to clarify for what I hope is the last time, I have never applied for a permanent job with UPS. For three years I've applied for seasonal work and for three years UPS hired me for the positions I applied for. Not much rejection there. I'm a fantastic person and great employee. Just ask me.
Are you a fantastic person and a great employee? There are you happy?