Employee damaging packages while loading trailers "On Topic"

J

jibbs

I didn't realize that asking my fellow teamsters for some useful input was whining. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You're right, it's management's problem. You're kind of making it yours, though.

If it bothers you enough to ask for advice, then it should bother you enough to do something about it. In this case, the only thing you can really do about it is talk to someone. If you don't want to bring it up, you've gotta learn how to let it not bother you. On the flipside, you've also gotta learn to speak up when things don't seem right. Really, though, I would only speak up about things that cause an immediate safety issue that effects me. If what you're doing doesn't impact what I'm doing in a negative way then, buddy, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Soon enough you'll realize that nobody in your building gives a :censored2: about how you do your job so long as your job gets done. It's :censored2:ty but it is what it is. You can drive yourself crazy trying to "be the change" or you can just say :censored2: it, clock in and zone out like a majority of your coworkers probably do.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
sabotaging the job by intentionally breaking merchandise crosses a line that imho requires some sort of reaction from anyone who witness it. to mind ones business and ignore it is like looking the other way when some parent or husband smacks the crap outa there kids or spouses. everyone has there own level of a conscious and how we gauge right or wrong behavior. to the OP, i think you know how you feel about whats going on in front of you and you need to decide what is the right or wrong thing to do in this or any other situation based on your conscious. sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. just what feels right to you

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been loading with another employee who seems to enjoy throwing boxes. Not simply dropping them onto the floor from waist height, throwing them. Sometimes they will pick a box up off the rollers and lift it to chest height then forcefully throw it onto the floor. I have heard items in the boxes break. One day there was a mis-sorted hazmat, they threw it out of the truck from the trailer, over the platform onto the floor. Should I mention this to my supervisor, steward, safety (because of the hazmat) or all of them?
I recommend you think long and hard about your possible alternatives, counting all the possible costs and consequences.

Then do what you believe is the right thing to do in you specific situation.

clean hairy

The flow will go backwards.
Customers filing claims, tracking back to which hub, to which trailer, and management observing the responsible individual doing the damage.
That person will then be dealt with....

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Anybody who knowingly is creating failures in service (packages left in vehicle, or just damaging them outright) should have a good long chat with their shop steward, then the BA. If a teamster is too d* friend* s* to get it then management will catch on real quick who they are when we keep paying them a visit like a bad orphan.

I always leave direct communication to management as a last resort, for immediate threats to someone's safety, and yes, throwing crap around most certainly can be a safety issue.

Chaos

I Am The Devil
Idk about the rest of you but every time I’m delivering these boxes are friend—-Ed up. Seems only smalls survive, otherwise they send these packages to war and somehow I have to look people in the eye and hand them their stuff.

OP. Say something to the management, throwing boxes is one thing but hazmats is another. One day it’s going to be some serious :censored2: in a hazmat and you’re going to be on that retarded disability train from inhaling some kind of mind destroying bleeding lung inducing chemical. Be tactful about it.

D

Deleted member 77202

I've been loading with another employee who seems to enjoy throwing boxes. Not simply dropping them onto the floor from waist height, throwing them. Sometimes they will pick a box up off the rollers and lift it to chest height then forcefully throw it onto the floor. I have heard items in the boxes break. One day there was a mis-sorted hazmat, they threw it out of the truck from the trailer, over the platform onto the floor. Should I mention this to my supervisor, steward, safety (because of the hazmat) or all of them?

AwashBwashCwash

One time during last peak this girl was getting slammed and her section was just destroyed, she was walking to one of her PC with like 5 boxes in her arms and one of them fell on the floor.
She's usually quiet and mild-mannered so I watched in amazement as she reared back her leg as far as it would go and just kick the package as hard as she could. It was a stupid little 3 lb Amazon box and went flying. I'll never forget the sight of that little Amazon smile logo rotating through the air, changing from smile to frown to smile over and over with every 180 degrees.

AwashBwashCwash

Idk about the rest of you but every time I’m delivering these boxes are friend—-Ed up. Seems only smalls survive, otherwise they send these packages to war and somehow I have to look people in the eye and hand them their stuff.

Of course the boxes are :censored2:ed up, have you seen the rate at which they try to push volume through the hubs?
It's literally impossible to follow their methods and also meet their production expectations. The result is cardboard casualties.
UPS management strategy is to demand impossible metrics, that's the only way they can assure themselves that they squeezed everything out of you.

If I were a driver I would be embarrassed to be seen delivering some of this stuff to people.

Of course the boxes are :censored2:ed up, have you seen the rate at which they try to push volume through the hubs?
It's literally impossible to follow their methods and also meet their production expectations. The result is cardboard casualties.
UPS management strategy is to demand impossible metrics, that's the only way they can assure themselves that they squeezed everything out of you.

If I were a driver I would be embarrassed to be seen delivering some of this stuff to people.
99% of the time damages are from management trying to meet an unrealistic production goal. Another 1% are hourlies frustrated with trying to meet those goals.