End over 9.5 negotiations

100%

First post. I’ve been reading here for a while. Plenty of rank and file in here for a wide range of perspectives and smart ass comments.😂

24 years with UPS and one thing that has to end is this negotiating of 9.5 grievances. How many more contracts are we gonna have with no FORCED OT protection? At this point, any language that involves negotiating payouts in this issue, should eliminate you from bargaining on behalf of teamsters. FORCED OT is slavery.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
First post. I’ve been reading here for a while. Plenty of rank and file in here for a wide range of perspectives and smart ass comments.😂

24 years with UPS and one thing that has to end is this negotiating of 9.5 grievances. How many more contracts are we gonna have with no FORCED OT protection? At this point, any language that involves negotiating payouts in this issue, should eliminate you from bargaining on behalf of teamsters. FORCED OT is slavery.
Do you mean contractually or bargaining after you file?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

So you want the ability to come in after 8 hours, done or not, or you want automatic bonus pay after 9.5 hours?

100%

Do you mean contractually or bargaining after you file?
Needs to be addressed in the contract. There has not been any language in past contracts to stop it. Do the teamsters want it to stop? If they do, then why hasn’t it stopped in my decades here. At some point there has to be a result. All bargaining and negotiations should be done before the contract is ratified. Continuing down the same road regarding forced OT is ridiculous. Fractions of these grievances get paid out. That is the failure over more than one contract. Regarding this issue, teamsters bargain for the contract, but then they bargain on what we get paid. That’s ridiculous. I hope it changes, but after this long, all hope is almost gone. This is my last contract. This is our time to win big.

Wally

Needs to be addressed in the contract. There has not been any language in past contracts to stop it. Do the teamsters want it to stop? If they do, then why hasn’t it stopped in my decades here. At some point there has to be a result. All bargaining and negotiations should be done before the contract is ratified. Continuing down the same road regarding forced OT is ridiculous. Fractions of these grievances get paid out. That is the failure over more than one contract. Regarding this issue, teamsters bargain for the contract, but then they bargain on what we get paid. That’s ridiculous. I hope it changes, but after this long, all hope is almost gone. This is my last contract. This is our time to win big.
Win what? You are not saying what you want?

100%

So you want the ability to come in after 8 hours, done or not, or you want automatic bonus pay after 9.5 hours?
8 hours done or not. They know when I’m over 9.5 so they would know when I’m over 8. They even know how to dispatch an 8hr request. We should be focused on 8hr language instead of 9.5 language. Double time after 8.5 and triple after 9.5! Sounds extreme? It isn’t. It’s what has to be done to end it.

Wally

8 hours done or not. They know when I’m over 9.5 so they would know when I’m over 8. They even know how to dispatch an 8hr request. We should be focused on 8hr language instead of 9.5 language. Double time after 8.5 and triple after 9.5! Sounds extreme? It isn’t. It’s what has to be done to end it.
Never going to happen. Who doesn't know UPS is a overtime job?

Automatic double time after 9.5 non peak, is the way to go. End the grievance procedure.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Who is negotiating them? That’s ridiculous every single one that is filed here is paid, not even questioned. The only issue I have is that we have to file at all it’s time consuming and shouldn’t be necessary in the next contract.

Thebrownblob

Being on the 9.5 list does not mean you’re never over 9.5

Thebrownblob

Even that wouldn’t “end” it LOL it’s cheaper for them to pay you than to hire more drivers.

100%

Win what? You are not saying what you want?
My first post is in all caps to end FORCED OT.
Never going to happen. Who doesn't know UPS is a overtime job?

Automatic double time after 9.5 is the way to go. End the grievance procedure.
you’re right. Maybe that’s the attitude that has kept real 9.5 language out of the contract. As I stated in a previous post. If the company can use this magical number of 9.5, then why not 8? It’s almost as if you believe the company can only dispatch around a 9.5 day. Do you ever get 8hr request? How do they dispatch your route? Automatic double time over 8.5 and automatic triple time 9.5. I hope to see something meaningful this time towards the automatic pay you mentioned. That would make def make a difference.

Thebrownblob

you’re right. Maybe that’s the attitude that has kept real 9.5 language out of the contract. As I stated in a previous post. If the company can use this magical number of 9.5, then why not 8? It’s almost as if you believe the company can only dispatch around a 9.5 day. Do you ever get 8hr request? How do they dispatch your route? Automatic double time over 8.5 and automatic triple time 9.5. I hope to see something meaningful this time towards the automatic pay you mentioned. That would make def make a difference.
Nope we have a local agreement, eight hour days are given here or the load is brought back. we do not use the master language of payment for missing an eight hour day.

Thebrownblob

I hope we have some sort of automatic payment as well. But you’re back handed reply about my attitude ignores the fact that 90% of the drivers who say they want to be kept under 9.5, actually start complaining about money when the company actually does it. We are our own worst enemy.

Thebrownblob

There’s also no language in the contract to stop it. There hasn’t been since I’ve worked here. That’s why it’s never stopped.
That’s not entirely true the contract does refer to a continual problem of over 9.5, The problem is the supposed 9.5 Committee doesn’t do much.

Wally

Eliminating the grievance process and paying automatically will actually put more money in membership pockets. Right now you might miss the mark or for whatever reason, many do not file.

100%

I hope we have some sort of automatic payment as well. But you’re back handed reply about my attitude ignores the fact that 90% of the drivers who say they want to be kept under 9.5, actually start complaining about money when the company actually does it. We are our own worst enemy.
Sorry didn’t mean it directed at you. There will always be both sides of this fence, but the no OT has been getting screwed. There’s plenty of OT for anyone who wants it.

Thebrownblob

Eliminating the grievance process and paying automatically will actually put more money in membership pockets. Right now you might miss the mark or for whatever reason, many do not file.

This is true in some places. everyone here files and gets paid. Over $300,000. 2 years ago.

If I did not have dozens and dozens of those grievances in my bag my life would be a lot simpler lol.