4evapreloader

I didn't picket, therefore I did not go to pick up my strike pay.

UPS severely overestimated the work abilities of their supervisors in the last strike. I think in the about 3 weeks we were out maybe they managed to clean out the building of the one day of work that was waiting for them. I didn't flip them off or wave at them either. I just laughed when I saw them drive by.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
With the new contract coming up and UPS showing out with the 70 hour work weeks and hiring SPVD’s, I feel like a strike might actually happen. I’m just not sure exactly what that entails for us as union members and I have a couple of questions if someone could answer.

1) Is the strike fund specifically to help members make ends meet during the strike? If so, how much was given in ‘97?

2) Are we required to stand and picket? If so, how long?
you find the best rocks and throw them at supervisors car

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS severely overestimated the work abilities of their supervisors in the last strike. I think in the about 3 weeks we were out maybe they managed to clean out the building of the one day of work that was waiting for them. I didn't flip them off or wave at them either. I just laughed when I saw them drive by.

They knew full well that they would be unable to keep up. They also knew that they had to at least make the effort if for no other reason than to try to make us look bad.

Jkloc420

With the new contract coming up and UPS showing out with the 70 hour work weeks and hiring SPVD’s, I feel like a strike might actually happen. I’m just not sure exactly what that entails for us as union members and I have a couple of questions if someone could answer.

1) Is the strike fund specifically to help members make ends meet during the strike? If so, how much was given in ‘97?

2) Are we required to stand and picket? If so, how long?
we wont strike, not enough people even take the time to vote or pay attention. We voted the last contract down only to have it forced through

Jkloc420

we need to go on strike just to get rid of the harassment and the stupid :censored2: people get fired for

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
1998_the_king_of_queens_009.jpg

If you ask for your steak well-done,
I'm throwing it in the dumpster !!!! LOL

rod

Retired 22 years
You know is been so long ago I can't remember the year but it was in the 70's. Our center manager at the time ran 200 feet of extension cord out to us so we could watch 8mm smut flicks on the side of a UPS trailer. He joined us and had a beer or two with us. I remember him saying he hoped we got everything we asked for because that would mean management would be improving their program also.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You know is been so long ago I can't remember the year but it was in the 70's. Our center manager at the time ran 200 feet of extension cord out to us so we could watch 8mm smut flicks on the side of a UPS trailer. He joined us and had a beer or two with us. I remember him saying he hoped we got everything we asked for because that would mean management would be improving their program also.

I remember it being 1976, because I had to drive 150 miles to pick up an exhaust system for my car that was supposed to be shipped. Killed my brother's truck that trip.

I started in 1978.

rod

Retired 22 years

We (3 or 4 of us)followed every package car that left the building and if it stopped anywhere we surrounded it with picket signs. We had Very little negative feedback from the public. I do remember one certain car that the driver would always give us the finger....the driver looked like Dave.

We (3 or 4 of us)followed every package car that left the building and if it stopped anywhere we surrounded it with picket signs. We had Very little negative feedback from the public. I do remember one certain car that the driver would always give us the finger....the driver looked like Dave.
Ambulatory picketing.

rod

Retired 22 years
I should mention the our local police force belonged to the same Teamster Local as us. Any time we need them they were there for us. We had more than one management checked to make sure they had a class A license to drive a feeder.

35years

Gravy route
Just a note on healthcare coverage during a protracted strike...

Under the Affordable Care Act striking workers can now purchase health insurance from their State if health care coverage is suspended by the company during a strike. This would likely be far cheaper than the individual continuing health care coverage under COBRA (shorthand for the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985).

I know during the 1997 strike some had family members with continuing heath issues and were looking at having to pay for coverage if the strike lasted longer. I know under COBRA you could retroactively (up to 3 months later?) pay the premium so you could wait and see if you had doctor's bills and then decide.

If we strike, man up and do your 2 hours of picket line. It builds solidarity. You will find a great deal of support both psychologically and even monetarily if you do (offers of temp employment, free food, etc.).

We had 2 guys in our center who refused to do their picket duty like Dave, they were shunned the rest of their time at UPS. The 1 driver in our state who tried to cross ended up quitting within one year.

Save up now, don't wait. No one knows what might happen. It might be the year UPS tries to lock us out and replace us...Would you put it past them?

Last edited: