Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

HedleyLamarr

Do you think they will temporarily suspend this during peak? Considering Ground's disaster last peak, it seems crazy to throw our resi's and smart post on them in addition to their normal stuff.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yes that would be the majority of our Resi's.
I think managers and SMs are being told as little as possible so they don’t slip negative information to the couriers. Upper management wants to keep couriers around until everything is in place and then...BOOM! All the Pollyannas bleeding purple still think FedEX is a People company that will look out for its people. I actually feel sorry for them when the other foot drops.

At least you and I suffer from no delusions and can see what’s coming. I’ve never wished so hard to be wrong as I do now.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you think they will temporarily suspend this during peak? Considering Ground's disaster last peak, it seems crazy to throw our resi's and smart post on them in addition to their normal stuff.
I think they’ll optimize it. They can easily “turn on and off” certain areas depending on the Ground capacity in different areas. Besides, nothing’s guaranteed at peak by any company anymore.

bbsam

Staff member
I think managers and SMs are being told as little as possible so they don’t slip negative information to the couriers. Upper management wants to keep couriers around until everything is in place and then...BOOM! All the Pollyannas bleeding purple still think FedEX is a People company that will look out for its people. I actually feel sorry for them when the other foot drops.

At least you and I suffer from no delusions and can see what’s coming. I’ve never wished so hard to be wrong as I do now.
You’re not wrong. In fact you were one of the first to realize the truth of the matter: WAGN.

dezguy

You're so right.

I'm amazed at the amount of people at my location who seem to think this will only be for the US. No, they'll perfect it in the US and then bring it here, en masse. It won't be a slow rollout like you guys. One week, we'll be delivering saver, economy and ie, the next Monday, there will be a whole lot of figuring out how hours are going to work.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You think so? While you're locale is probably moving into 5G my state is threatening to sue the carriers in an effort to get them to commit to spending the money needed to make certain that reliable 4G is available in all areas of the state.... And the state has made it abundantly clear to them that it will block the expressed desire by Verizon to eliminate rural land line service until they commit to spending the money to get cell phone service up to standard.

"They can't have great coverage across the nation because I don't have good covering under my rock."

59 Dano

Great place to be until the Greeks, the Turks, the Italians, the Germans and or the Russians decide that in order to stimulate their economies they need to get another war started. World War 1 started in the Balkans. World War II was fought in the Balkans and sure as the sun comes up in the morning World War III will be fought there too. And when it does you'll be hopping your little arse on the first plane back to the states. The centuries of conflict in that region proves conclusively that's it's a good place to visit and an even better place to start a war. So be sure to get well acquainted with the United Nations peace keeping troops because chances are they'll be on the plane with you.

Anyone ever told you that you make the dumbest arguments imaginable? As part of your reasoning that he shouldn't live in Albania, you're going to cite World Wars 1 and 2?

Lamont, you are a big dummy.

bacha29

Anyone ever told you that you make the dumbest arguments imaginable? As part of your reasoning that he shouldn't live in Albania, you're going to cite World Wars 1 and 2?

Lamont, you are a big dummy.
The place has a long and bloody history of violence and armed conflict . That's why in country's like Albania you don't dig your heels in too deep. It's had a few decades of stability but far form a permanent lasting peace one can count on.

bacha29

"They can't have great coverage across the nation because I don't have good covering under my rock."
And you accuse me of saying stupid stuff. There's no way I can top this one of yours.
That's why he lives in the jing weeds. Nothing worth having and you'd probably improve the place if you bombed it.
Well, let me tell you about that .After the end of the Cold War Western intelligence to their complete shock discovered that a site not many miles from my home was at the top of the list of Soviet first strike nuclear targets. The blood of US military planners ran cold when they realized that they never for a moment ever considered the site as a possible target but then immediately realized the devastating impact it would have had on the US response.

So Dano you came much closer to getting your wish that you might realize.

59 Dano

The place has a long and bloody history of violence and armed conflict . That's why in country's like Albania you don't dig your heels in too deep. It's had a few decades of stability but far form a permanent lasting peace one can count on.

Gosh, you mean that no one lives there?

vantexan

Years ago an older courier told me about how it used to be in that particular area. Routes were huge. This was back in the time of just P1 and P2. Of course we know how things have developed over the years. Now freight is being taken away. What's going to happen in my opinion is routes will be restructured to divy up what's left. May come to working in the morning, taking a split, coming back to do pickups. Depends on your particular station and local needs. 4X10's will disappear in a lot of places. Everyone will go to 5X8's if not in actuality 5X7's. That includes restructuring to put the 4X10 cover drivers into the mix. The big thing to look for right now is does FedEx rescind the 35 hr guarantee? If not you can be assured of that much. By law in most states if not all 30 hrs or more is considered fulltime. FedEx is under no obligation to guarantee 35 so very important to see if they feel they must keep the guarantee to retain employees. They've come up with a new pay plan to pay more in a shorter time frame. Now they're going to make sure that except for Peak and staffing shortfalls they aren't going to pay overtime. We Polyannas and corporate apologists who've been around awhile know exactly what they are capable of. They give here, they take there. Couriers are the necessary evil to do the work that brings in the profit. And everything they do is about profit so you need to decide whether 35 hrs a week, especially if they break up your work day into a split to insure you get 35 hrs, is worth it to you. What some who rail against the company all the time can't seem to accept is they hold all the cards and couriers have to adjust to their demands if they want to keep their jobs. Times change, business must adjust and change with it. It's not being a corporate apologist to point this out. This is reality. I've had the opportunity to travel to places recently where a large percentage of adults don't have work and those who do barely make enough to survive. If one gets 35 hrs a week at $28hr or whatever just think of the millions in this country who work two $10 hr jobs for 70 hrs a week just to get by. Those who think FedEx owes them a great living are only kidding themselves. If you aren't willing to go to a company like UPS and work harder, if you aren't willing to get vocational training or a college education in something that pays, then you have to accept that you will be preyed upon in our system so that someone else will do much better than you. Harsh? Yes, but that's the world we live in. Rant over.

59 Dano

Shot...
And you accuse me of saying stupid stuff. There's no way I can top this one of yours.

Chaser.
Well, let me tell you about that .After the end of the Cold War Western intelligence to their complete shock discovered that a site not many miles from my home was at the top of the list of Soviet first strike nuclear targets. The blood of US military planners ran cold when they realized that they never for a moment ever considered the site as a possible target but then immediately realized the devastating impact it would have had on the US response.

So Dano you came much closer to getting your wish that you might realize.

LOL, you're full of crap. Best estimates of the USSR's priority targets were that their attacks would have to be nearly flawless in execution and result to have any impact on our response.

Though I appreciate your flair for the dramatic.

bluntforce

I'm at the greensboro nc station and some VP's from memphis flew in yesterday for a meeting with station management and station seniors from around the area. We had an impromptu meeting with our senior this morning. When it concluded, I was left with more questions than I had before. The meeting started off with him squashing facebook rumors about fedex being bought by Walmart and Warren Buffet, how the value of our stock has declined over the past year, how fedex has a no layoff philosophy, that nobody was losing their job or that there would be no rt restructuring due to loss of volume. The meat of his speech was, starting March 2nd, packages picked up by our station and staying in the local market (BABO) would be the only thing delivered by our local ground facility. For us that amounts to a grand total of 42 pckgs. a day on average. There was no info given to us about future projections, about when that number would increase and how soon, when our senior was questioned. As soon as the meeting started, it was over. My opinion, as it starts slowly, move its way to other hubs and stations around the country, I don't think it will be a noticeable drop of volume to us couriers in the first several months. I do think however over the next year or two, express will be completely different.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm at the greensboro nc station and some VP's from memphis flew in yesterday for a meeting with station management and station seniors from around the area. We had an impromptu meeting with our senior this morning. When it concluded, I was left with more questions than I had before. The meeting started off with him squashing facebook rumors about fedex being bought by Walmart and Warren Buffet, how the value of our stock has declined over the past year, how fedex has a no layoff philosophy, that nobody was losing their job or that there would be no rt restructuring due to loss of volume. The meat of his speech was, starting March 2nd, packages picked up by our station and staying in the local market (BABO) would be the only thing delivered by our local ground facility. For us that amounts to a grand total of 42 pckgs. a day on average. There was no info given to us about future projections, about when that number would increase and how soon, when our senior was questioned. As soon as the meeting started, it was over. My opinion, as it starts slowly, move its way to other hubs and stations around the country, I don't think it will be a noticeable drop of volume to us couriers in the first several months. I do think however over the next year or two, express will be completely different.
Do you think X made this announcement to affect 42 packages per day, give or take a dozen?
Think for a moment how the National announcement actually radically moved the stock price.
Now ask yourself why bigwigs are so severely downplaying that announcement. How does that make sense? Did most of your station feel pacified after the meeting? You were meant to.

Do you think X made this announcement to affect 42 packages per day, give or take a dozen?
Think for a moment how the National announcement actually radically moved the stock price.
Now ask yourself why bigwigs are so severely downplaying that announcement. How does that make sense? Did most of your station feel pacified after the meeting? You were meant to.
I think Fred was playing this song

bluntforce

Station definitely was not pacified. I truly believe that in the end, anything and everything that they can take off an Express truck and and put on a ground truck, they will.