Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

vantexan

Notice your key word here......SOME. But coming from a corporate apologist like you I've come to expect it. And so now you're coming to the defense of the phone companies.
No, I just spent 7 months driving over most of the country and got good service in most places including some very remote places. What's the big deal? These companies are actually trying to increase coverage because it's a big selling point to have the most extensive network.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No, I just spent 7 months driving over most of the country and got good service in most places including some very remote places. What's the big deal? These companies are actually trying to increase coverage because it's a big selling point to have the most extensive network.

And the big dummy doesn't realize that AT&T has a contract with the federal government to provide nationwide LTE access as part of the FirstNet program.

bacha29

Where's this relatively flat area I was working at? Went on goat paths all the time. Sure seemed like they were. Had a 4WD van in Colorado. And I delivered in the Appalachians in North Georgia. Yes that's all part of it. And has to be factored into your compensation otherwise a person would be crazy to contract with Ground and have to eat the cost of repairs.
The trouble was and to a considerable extents still today X decides what they think your cost of operation is and while today you might be able to move the numbers around a bit you still won't move them off the square. As for your the terrain of your territory you admitted it yourself that you've been in flat parts of the nation. Believe me you ain't been crawling up and down mountainous dirt roads all day and turn out the miles you listed.

vantexan

And the big dummy doesn't realize that AT&T has a contract with the federal government to provide nationwide LTE access as part of the FirstNet program.
And apparently doesn't know our DADS units are on AT&T's cellular network and are used nationwide except in NOACK areas.

bacha29

You think so? While you're locale is probably moving into 5G my state is threatening to sue the carriers in an effort to get them to commit to spending the money needed to make certain that reliable 4G is available in all areas of the state.... And the state has made it abundantly clear to them that it will block the expressed desire by Verizon to eliminate rural land line service until they commit to spending the money to get cell phone service up to standard.

vantexan

The trouble was and to a considerable extents still today X decides what they think your cost of operation is and while today you might be able to move the numbers around a bit you still won't move them off the square. As for your the terrain of your territory you admitted it yourself that you've been in flat parts of the nation. Believe me you ain't been crawling up and down mountainous dirt roads all day and turn out the miles you listed.
Those areas are crisscrossed by paved 2 lanes. A lot of it was doing 70 mph from town to town. But went up dirt tracks between mountains all the time. You have to realize even in rural areas of the Appalachians you have higher populations than out in the Rockies and Southwest. I might drive an hour on pavement, then down a washboard that takes me back a couple miles, sometimes more, then back to pavement and in to a town where I'd quickly knock off 20 stops in a condensed area. Had a remote ranch in Colorado that I drove about an hour and 15 minutes to get to at the end of my day then it was almost two hours back to my home. Had a ranch in the NM bootheel that was 30 miles from gate to ranch office and then another 25 miles to the owner's home if they wanted it delivered there. That station when they had two people running my area used to take a pkg about once a month to the customs house at Antelope Wells. That's 140 miles roundtrip for that one pkg. When I took over the mgr got Customs to agree to take it to their Columbus, NM facility. This is the area where mgrs decided to repackage and mail deliveries to keep me from getting overtime. They screwed up a good thing. Would've stayed otherwise.

bacha29

Those areas are crisscrossed by paved 2 lanes. A lot of it was doing 70 mph from town to town. But went up dirt tracks between mountains all the time. You have to realize even in rural areas of the Appalachians you have higher populations than out in the Rockies and Southwest. I might drive an hour on pavement, then down a washboard that takes me back a couple miles, sometimes more, then back to pavement and in to a town where I'd quickly knock off 20 stops in a condensed area. Had a remote ranch in Colorado that I drove about an hour and 15 minutes to get to at the end of my day then it was almost two hours back to my home. Had a ranch in the NM bootheel that was 30 miles from gate to ranch office and then another 25 miles to the owner's home if they wanted it delivered there. That station when they had two people running my area used to take a pkg about once a month to the customs house at Antelope Wells. That's 140 miles roundtrip for that one pkg. When I took over the mgr got Customs to agree to take it to their Columbus, NM facility. This is the area where mgrs decided to repackage and mail deliveries to keep me from getting overtime. They screwed up a good thing. Would've stayed otherwise.
Right 70MPH vs an average about 25 MPH. Guess who's going to crank out the most miles in a day?

bacha29

Who said otherwise? Difference is I don't claim to know your conditions like you claim to know mine(and don't).
It that it only stands to reason that you would indeed know certain areas of the country better than me because every time somebody made even the most minimally critical comment to you, you up and quit in a huff and moved on to the next and the next and the next .........and the next. And now I see that you've moved to the next so far and so often that you ran out of dry land and are now clean over on another continent .

vantexan

It that it only stands to reason that you would indeed know certain areas of the country better than me because every time somebody made even the most minimally critical comment to you, you up and quit in a huff and moved on to the next and the next and the next .........and the next. And now I see that you've moved to the next so far and so often that you ran out of dry land and are now clean over on another continent .
Checking out Albania as a place to retire. My wife really likes the beaches here. Making the most of that hard earned pension.

bacha29

Great place to be until the Greeks, the Turks, the Italians, the Germans and or the Russians decide that in order to stimulate their economies they need to get another war started. World War 1 started in the Balkans. World War II was fought in the Balkans and sure as the sun comes up in the morning World War III will be fought there too. And when it does you'll be hopping your little arse on the first plane back to the states. The centuries of conflict in that region proves conclusively that's it's a good place to visit and an even better place to start a war. So be sure to get well acquainted with the United Nations peace keeping troops because chances are they'll be on the plane with you.

vantexan

Great place to be until the Greeks, the Turks, the Italians, the Germans and or the Russians decide that in order to stimulate their economies they need to get another war started. World War 1 started in the Balkans. World War II was fought in the Balkans and sure as the sun comes up in the morning World War III will be fought there too. And when it does you'll be hopping your little arse on the first plane back to the states. The centuries of conflict in that region proves conclusively that's it's a good place to visit and an even better place to start a war. So be sure to get well acquainted with the United Nations peace keeping troops because chances are they'll be on the plane with you.
Hmm, surrounded by NATO nations. I'll take my chances.

vantexan

And they're really dependable just like Turkey with it's purchase of Russian S-400's while still demanding US friend-35's to help it wipe out Syrian Kurds.
Sooooo? Do you really want to live your life on the worst that could happen? Heck if the nukes start flying I would definitely be better off in Albania than in the U.S. Come to think of it if Putin invades Europe who's he going after? Germany, France, Poland, Belgium. Why would he even bother with little Albania? Are the Serbs going to invade? Not likely after the '90's. Albania is too poor to be a worthwhile prize.

It will be fine

Sooooo? Do you really want to live your life on the worst that could happen? Heck if the nukes start flying I would definitely be better off in Albania than in the U.S. Come to think of it if Putin invades Europe who's he going after? Germany, France, Poland, Belgium. Why would he even bother with little Albania? Are the Serbs going to invade? Not likely after the '90's. Albania is too poor to be a worthwhile prize.
How many Express deliveries are be diverted to Ground in Albania?

instiches

I think you lie. The brokerage I’ve been watching hasn’t done that any more than normal.

Value of the contracts IMO has definitely decreased. With how difficult they are making it for new contractors to get approved, and also with the overlap requirement, FedEx has limited the pool of potential buyers to existing contractors. And we know too much about the ins and outs of this business to pay the multiples these businesses were selling for as recently as two years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
Value of the contracts IMO has definitely decreased. With how difficult they are making it for new contractors to get approved, and also with the overlap requirement, FedEx has limited the pool of potential buyers to existing contractors. And we know too much about the ins and outs of this business to pay the multiples these businesses were selling for as recently as two years ago.
Are you talking about individual routes?

Spam

The 2020 census is expected to show how rural populations are going down not up.Before you deliver a rural box you first have to have somebody to deliver to. Sure you might put a few more stops out in there but chances are thanks to weather, terrain and poor road quality more boxes simply will not speed up the work pace which in turn will probably require additional trucks all working at the same crawl along pace due to conditions the operator has no control over.
FB91223F-A78D-4FA5-B2EC-BEC96CE4C357.jpeg
FB91223F-A78D-4FA5-B2EC-BEC96CE4C357.jpeg