Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

MAKAVELI

My understanding is that NO Express business, or international, will be delivered by Ground.
IE is in the plan.
86262312_10157860296320011_6567703005079011328_n.jpg

vantexan

You said they would only be handling regional Freight. I'm pointing out ie it's not regional.I'm pretty sure if this thing works they want to push pretty much all residential through ground
No, I said a lot of it might be regional freight. You said they would have a hard time meeting commitment. I pointed out a lot of it would be regional. And it appears it's only going to be handed off to Ground after Express transports it.

bacha29

I've had remote routes in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. You'd be surprised just how much does get delivered out there, it's just over a much broader area. You can cover a lot of territory when you're speeding down the local two lanes. There are many small towns where you drive an hour to get to them, deliver 5 to 35 depending on the town, then drive another hour to the next town with a few stops in between. It's actually very satisfying work and with satellite radio it's a great job. I've worked at the edge of the New York City metro area, and in downtown Seattle. I would take my route in southern New Mexico over any of that foolishness any day, even with driving 320-380 miles a day, sometimes over 400, once over 500.
it's exactly what I'm saying . Terrain and road quality impacts work pace . And notice something here. The area you're talking about is relatively flat . But when you're groaning along 15-20 mph for much of your day the miles don't add up fast. Terrain, weather, topography and road quality decides HOW much you get done that day. Moreover when you paying a guy on a perdiem and therefore it doesn't matter whether the job takes 7 hours or 14 hours it all pays the same and the guy in the truck doesn't own the truck guess what's the only thing he's going to care about? A lot of contractors brand new trucks were flat out smelter bait by the time they were paid for with the power trains already replaced a couple of times.

bbsam

Staff member
I've been watching the continued mark down in asking prices for contracts. The only parties that had been propping prices up the past few months were contract flippers and the investor class.
I think you lie. The brokerage I’ve been watching hasn’t done that any more than normal.

vantexan

it's exactly what I'm saying . Terrain and road quality impacts work pace . And notice something here. The area you're talking about is relatively flat . But when you're groaning along 15-20 mph for much of your day the miles don't add up fast. Terrain, weather, topography and road quality decides HOW much you get done that day. Moreover when you paying a guy on a perdiem and therefore it doesn't matter whether the job takes 7 hours or 14 hours it all pays the same and the guy in the truck doesn't own the truck guess what's the only thing he's going to care about? A lot of contractors brand new trucks were flat out smelter bait by the time they were paid for with the power trains already replaced a couple of times.
Where's this relatively flat area I was working at? Went on goat paths all the time. Sure seemed like they were. Had a 4WD van in Colorado. And I delivered in the Appalachians in North Georgia. Yes that's all part of it. And has to be factored into your compensation otherwise a person would be crazy to contract with Ground and have to eat the cost of repairs.

bacha29

Trust me they're not only focusing on rural routes.
What a talking head. Talks about a "terrific' peak ". Must not have gone into to terminals during peak and seen the boxes piled to the ceiling.This is simply an attempt to make X as efficient and integrated as close as he can get it to the fully integrated and the union represented model of corporate efficiency UPS.

So what Fat Freddy is saying through this clown : I'm losing my rectum out the jing weeds so I'll dump it off onto contractors out there at a rock bottom parcel post rate so I'll still make money out there but for contractors,...well, you wanted in this badly enough so figure it out for yourself how you're going to make it".

bacha29

Depends on where you're at. I've gotten good T-Mobile service in some pretty remote areas out West.
Notice your key word here......SOME. But coming from a corporate apologist like you I've come to expect it. And so now you're coming to the defense of the phone companies.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Heaven forbid it’d be all the deadweight positions in Memphis.

OK, then give us a list of all the deadweight positions in Memphis, the duties that those who hold those positions are supposed to be doing, how many of them should be cut, and how you'll distribute their work to those who remain.

You keep bringing this up so I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking about.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As evidenced by the way Bezos is only taking the easy in town stuff and leaving the jing weeds to whoever he can get to haul his junk out there for next to nothing. Nobody wants to be out in there. Too many miles, too isolated, too slow going. too few boxes

If you had ended your post here, no one would think you're nuts.

Very similar to today's court approval of the Sprint/ T-Mobile merger. leaves only 3 carriers none of them want to be out in the rural areas and rest assured service to those areas will not improve no matter which carrier you're talking about.

Verizon's coverage is the gold standard and AT&T is in the midst of an incredibly aggressive expansion that will equal, if not surpass, that of Verizon. I mean, it was a huge deal when it began.