Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

It will be fine

my freight = Fedex EXPRESS freight. Not "FedEx" freight, not "FedEx Ground" freight. The customer SPECIFICALLY stated they wanted that service with the Express company, NOT with Ground. If they wanted GROUND service, they would have chosen the GROUND company. If Ground wanted to give Express freight, they could because we could be a "contractor" with FXG, just like you.

There is no way to go the other way around. We don't contract with other companies when we service the area ourselves.

That's where the lawyers are going to circle. It's bait and switch, technically.

If FedEx sold all shipping products as pure "FedEx" shipments then I'd have no leg to stand on. However, they paid for "FedEx Express", not "FedEx Ground".
There will be a minor update to the terms and conditions for Express that will allow the transfer of freight to the Ground segment. No one will read it, no shippers will care, the guarantee will still be in place for late shipments. No lawyer is going to bring a case against FedEx for this especially if the vast majority of deliveries are made on time, and they will be. There are no damages and it will be within FedEx’s agreement with their shippers.

bacha29

Actually that question wasn’t asked.
It has now been asked. Look I've seen it all before when it comes to contractor benefit plans. Many are those cheap "bronze'plans with pay only about 60% of the average claim along with huge deductibles and total out of pockets. Same holds true for those 401K plans which are only as good as the ability of the employee to contribute and given the fast food wages many contractor employed drivers make how much do you really think they can't put into the plan ?

And we've heard it all before about his great management skills. Well the simple fact of the matter is what's there to manage? X has complete control over all critical aspects of the delivery network. Contractors just run along behind picking up after them Superior management skills on the part of the contractor means virtually nothing.

But here's what is paramount going forward now. Every labor market has only just so much cheap labor in it and in a growing number of markets Amazon is in there scarfing up as much of it as it can get. Therefore when it comes to contractor success or failure it's all just a question of who runs out of it first .

bbsam

Staff member
They do when they pay their bill.
So on a net 30 bill, Joe Brown from XYZ company will know that on February 3rd his package was delivered by Fedex Ground driver 2 states over and not by an Express driver? If the package was due by the 3rd and delivered by the 3rd, do you really think he cares?

bbsam

Staff member
It has now been asked. Look I've seen it all before when it comes to contractor benefit plans. Many are those cheap "bronze'plans with pay only about 60% of the average claim along with huge deductibles and total out of pockets. Same holds true for those 401K plans which are only as good as the ability of the employee to contribute and given the fast food wages many contractor employed drivers make how much do you really think they can't put into the plan ?

And we've heard it all before about his great management skills. Well the simple fact of the matter is what's there to manage? X has complete control over all critical aspects of the delivery network. Contractors just run along behind picking up after them Superior management skills on the part of the contractor means virtually nothing.

But here's what is paramount going forward now. Every labor market has only just so much cheap labor in it and in a growing number of markets Amazon is in there scarfing up as much of it as it can get. Therefore when it comes to contractor success or failure it's all just a question of who runs out of it first .
So riddle me this.
You’ve described the toll the job takes on the body. So tell me, why would I want someone who stayed for 30 years?

MAKAVELI

So on a net 30 bill, Joe Brown from XYZ company will know that on February 3rd his package was delivered by Fedex Ground driver 2 states over and not by an Express driver? If the package was due by the 3rd and delivered by the 3rd, do you really think he cares?
These e-commerce resi del will mostly be by large retailers who pay people to audit their shipping costs. So the average Joe probably won't care, but larger businesses probably will.

bacha29

So riddle me this.
You’ve described the toll the job takes on the body. So tell me, why would I want someone who stayed for 30 years?
Riddle me this. With no employer funded , pension ,healthcare or disability plan do you still expect them to go out there every day and represent and defend your vital economic interests in a conscientious and dedicated manner? That's something to think about when those express boxes start coming your way.

Remember those are Fat Freddy's own boxes and Fat Freddy ain't going to put up with some little contractor who friend#!ks with HIS boxes.

bbsam

Staff member
Riddle me this. With no employer funded , pension ,healthcare or disability plan do you still expect them to go out there every day and represent and defend your vital economic interests in a conscientious and dedicated manner? That's something to think about when those express boxes start coming your way.

Remember those are Fat Freddy's own boxes and Fat Freddy ain't going to put up with some little contractor who friend#!ks with HIS boxes.
Ground is what it is. Fred knows what it is.
My economic interests have been doing ok. I expect it to continue when we start delivering Express envelopes.

zeev

Resi P2 will just take a stop from Express and move it to Ground the real savings will be when they move Bus P2 to Ground. Also the Ground drivers in my areas drive these huge Grumman’s that look like they could not negotiate a residential area do they have smaller vans for these areas. Is Home delivery gone?

Serf

We were supposed to have a station meeting today about this. But it was oddly and abruptly postponed. I think people are stressing about this.

Serf

“FedEx’s move to hand off delivery of a significant portion—we estimate 60%—of its residential Express packages to the Ground network for delivery is likely to drive significant cost savings ,” wrote Wadewitz in a Monday research report. He believes FedEx can save up to $600 million a year from the shift.”

MAKAVELI

Didn't they just lower the cost of 2 day and XS to be more in line with Ground prices?
After they dropped Amazon they said they were going to discount 2day to help fill our planes. They didn't mention anything about Express saver They definitely won't be discounting SO and IE.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was talking to my SM this morning and he’s claims it’s only going to be for the outer areas and that everyone is speculating. He claims it won’t effect most of us. I told him that if they hadn’t released the news without more information people wouldn’t need to be speculating. I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Serf

I was talking to my SM this morning and he’s claims it’s only going to be for the outer areas and that everyone is speculating. He claims it won’t effect most of us. I told him that if they hadn’t released the news without more information people wouldn’t need to be speculating. I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.
Aren’t they rolling this out in a fairly metropolitan area in North Carolina? My pure speculation is that is will actually affect *Most of us.