Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

bacha29

I put it hand in hand. Couriers didn't want to be held to high standards and their bosses didn't want to hold them to high standards. When management and couriers don't work together to take care of the things that they can control, and are content to be stagnant, someone else will do it for them.

And here we are!
And the new guy that " someone else" is going to be working for fast food wages and zero benefits........and you want higher performance standards from him. Hahahaha! . Good luck with that! If high standards is your goal you're never going to get there by replacing a person with somebody who's going to get paid half as much as the guy he replaced.

Mak's right. It's a structural problem and fixing it is going to require a whole lot more than this latest "Hail Mary" .

bbsam

Staff member
It's public knowledge now. What would be the justification for charging premium vs pure ground service?
Because people are paying to get it delivered by a certain date. It’s not like they expect to pay less of a new driver at Express delivers it rather than a 30 year veteran.

bbsam

Staff member
I put it hand in hand. Couriers didn't want to be held to high standards and their bosses didn't want to hold them to high standards. When management and couriers don't work together to take care of the things that they can control, and are content to be stagnant, someone else will do it for them.

And here we are!
WAGN. And it’s been that way for a while now.

thedownhillEXPRESS

They can probably just eventually move everything to ground
Keep the pilots and a couple RTD's at the stations and just drive it to Ground.
There really is no difference from what this is going to do.
Phase out the Express employee.

MAKAVELI

Because people are paying to get it delivered by a certain date. It’s not like they expect to pay less of a new driver at Express delivers it rather than a 30 year veteran.
They are also paying for a specific company to deliver it. There are a lot of shippers that know ground can deliver sometimes in the same time frame as Express but use express instead even if it costs more.

bbsam

Staff member
only the 1st sentence
Let’s say for a moment that Ground drivers make less than Express drivers. But let’s say that some Express drivers make $30/hr and some make $18/hr.
So this logic says that the customer should expect to pay less for a Ground driver to deliver the package. Why? If the customer is paying the same amount for the $18/hr Express driver as the $30/hr Express driver, why would he suddenly expect to pay less for the $15/hr driver?

bbsam

Staff member
They are also paying for a specific company to deliver it. There are a lot of shippers that know ground can deliver sometimes in the same time frame as Express but use express instead even if it costs more.
If you are correct, then a lot of shippers will leave. Or they’ll get over it. But I doubt anything will change the corporate mindset very quickly on this one.

bbsam

Staff member
They can probably just eventually move everything to ground
Keep the pilots and a couple RTD's at the stations and just drive it to Ground.
There really is no difference from what this is going to do.
Phase out the Express employee.
And then sell the whole thing to Walmart.

MAKAVELI

If you are correct, then a lot of shippers will leave. Or they’ll get over it. But I doubt anything will change the corporate mindset very quickly on this one.
That probably depends on what kind of service they get with this restructuring.

bbsam

Staff member
That probably depends on what kind of service they get with this restructuring.
Probably not. The biggest shippers will be patient. The smaller ones may leave in some degree but not enough to negate the massive savings. In six months the new norm will take hold .

Nolimitz

Probably not. The biggest shippers will be patient. The smaller ones may leave in some degree but not enough to negate the massive savings. In six months the new norm will take hold .
in urban areas I agree. As a shuttle to what Bacha would call bum friend. I tend to disagree. I talk with customers daily that cant get ground delivered for weeks?

bbsam

Staff member
in urban areas I agree. As a shuttle to what Bacha would call bum friend. I tend to disagree. I talk with customers daily that cant get ground delivered for weeks?
Remember what I said about attrition? Those contractors will be absorbed.

Nolimitz

Remember what I said about attrition? Those contractors will be absorbed.
Im talking about the drivers not the contractors. I see pissed off folks wanting their stuff last week, daily. Oh we cant get to your house cause of snow/mud BS. All I can say is, it's coming ground, I don't have on my truck... They are coming to meet me, I don't go looking for them.

bbsam

Staff member
also this contractor already has 1/4 of an entire state. I doubt he is in much danger of being displaced.
You might be surprised. There was a guy north of here who lost that contract. Didn’t lose all of them, but did in that building.

that said, there are going to be contractors that struggle mightily in the coming months if they survive at all.

chris45

Just heard about this today. Supposedly chicago/ohare is going to start this in may but it's not a sure thing as to when...also they said there will be no more hiring even if people quit/retire .so...what do those of us that have been here like 5-10 years and just now realize this probably isnt a good idea to try and do this for long haul do from here? Everyone was like friend this let's walk out this buddy and quit!(nobody did) but im not sure where else to look for a job since this is all I've done lmao