728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The 51-year-old man was on a loading dock at the UPS distribution center when he was hit by the truck about 2:15 p.m., DeKalb County police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told The AJC in an email. He was assigned to unload trailers that were docked at the bay doors.

“The victim had stepped off the dock and was standing on the ground between the dock door and the trailer that was being backed into the docking door,” Campbell said.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I thought it was common sense but now I get why they always have a supe around hounding people to close the dock door as soon as that trailer is closed

We're not suppose to pull a trailer off or put one on a UPS dock until the bay door is shut.
At Amazon, they have a red light or green light next to the dock.
Green means that the door and area is secure and you can move the trailer.

We also have a few CPU accounts that put a lock on the trailer's red gladhand when it's on their dock.
When you see one on, you are not suppose to even hook your tractor to the trailer.
Not hooking up your red air line keeps the trailer's emergency brakes locked and the trailer will be difficult to move.
Even with that safety guideline in place, a driver could still with enough force, pull it off the dock.

One thing I've noticed is that when you put a trailer on the door, a driver may want to pull it back off a little to straighten it better.
Some hub people will start messing with the chains to open the trailer, even before you've had a chance to shut your air valves.
I think this leads to most injuries.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
We're not suppose to pull a trailer off or put one on a UPS dock until the bay door is shut.
At Amazon, they have a red light or green light next to the dock.
Green means that the door and area is secure and you can move the trailer.

We also have a few CPU accounts that put a lock on the trailer's red gladhand when it's on their dock.
When you see one on, you are not suppose to even hook your tractor to the trailer.
Not hooking up your red air line keeps the trailer's emergency brakes locked and the trailer will be difficult to move.
Even with that safety guideline in place, a driver could still with enough force, pull it off the dock.

One thing I've noticed is that when you put a trailer on the door, a driver may want to pull it back off a little to straighten it better.
Some hub people will start messing with the chains to open the trailer, even before you've had a chance to shut your air valves.
That would never happen in my center unless the place got wiped out. They rent it for like 1k a month probably one of the more profitable centers in my region

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think Forrest Park had a similar accident a few weeks ago but it involved a shifter and a feeder driver. The FNN may have been wrong but after that you would think the 4 Atlanta buildings would be on alert.

Forest Park did have a yard worker seriously injured a few weeks ago. I’m not sure of the details, but OSHA was all over the place. There were some lesser incidents in the yard too.

Box Ox

Yep. Lotta new preloaders at my center start out in unload. A PT sup is often standing over them hustling them to get the seal cut and chain off to keep the PPH up. Unloaders are opening up as soon as the truck hits the dock.

PT Car Washer

Yep. Lotta new preloaders at my center start out in unload. A PT sup is often standing over them hustling them to get the seal cut and chain off to keep the PPH up. Unloaders are opening up as soon as the truck hits the dock.
Because that is the way the Hub or Preload manager wants things done. "I am not paying Union employees $10/hr to just stand there."

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
he was a seasonal who stepped through a dock door and got backed over, simple

wish i could say i'm surprised we need to walk more people out the door for safety violations like that, management included, it's getting way way out of hand how much it's overlooked
Wrong, it was actually a sup who jumped down to grab packages that spilled over and didn’t get back up in time.

Next time, try to type something that you actually have first hand knowledge of before posting comments about places and people you have no clue about.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Forest Park did have a yard worker seriously injured a few weeks ago. I’m not sure of the details, but OSHA was all over the place. There were some lesser incidents in the yard too.
Same deal, he was sup and was pinned between the trailer. Obviously luckier than the most recent incident.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Hopping down to get a package makes sense.

When I hired in I was told we NEVER go off a dock door, even if the building is on fire. Now it's clear why they we're so serious about that practice back then.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Why dont trailers have cameras? I mean they are super cheap and your already hooking up an electrical line to cab.

I think all the wires are being used in the pigtail, not sure if the wires would be compatible anyway but I'm sure a mechanic or Upstate can answer that.

It would be easier to close the dock doors or pay someone to watch work outside like the other threads mentioned, I think it was a feeder helper or something like that.

Indecisi0n

I think all the wires are being used in the pigtail, not sure if the wires would be compatible anyway but I'm sure a mechanic or Upstate can answer that.

It would be easier to close the dock doors or pay someone to watch work outside like the other threads mentioned, I think it was a feeder helper or something like that.
I was thinking as new tractors and trailers are product they would be incorporated in.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was thinking as new tractors and trailers are product they would be incorporated in.
UPS is more worried about putting a camera in the cab of a tractor to watch the driver than in a setup like a package car.

Honestly, the electrical cord would have to be reinvented.
The current setup would not transmit video between tractor and trailer.
It would also become another safety feature that would lead to additional red tags.

budlight

hey friend* face
That's my biggest worry during the winter when snow/ice is piled up. The trailer will come with you while trying to unhook, yet the loaders/unloaders/sups are already trying to open the door before you've even uncoupled. It's a huge concern, in my eyes. I don't want to kill anyone and yet they are already opening doors and putting rollers in before I'm even unhooked.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
IMG_2081.JPG