Fed Ex Media Campaign - Gloves coming off

satellitedriver

What I have said (repeatedly) is that what you do isn't worth 30-40% more in wages and benefits than what I do.
BALONEY,
At a minimum, a UPS driver does 50% more deliveries/volume, than the average fedex person in the same area.
So, if you base wage/benefits on the actual work preformed, fedex drivers make more than UPSers.
Simple ratio.
Less production = Less pay.
I will repeat myself.
We are worth more, because we produce more.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
Everyone of us should copy our posts that we have submitted to that blog and put them here or in a new thread so maybe our Pr firm can put together a nice comeback that was actually well thought out.

Under "Brown Bailout Campaign Getting Wide Coverage" I posted this:

Big surprise that the uber-Conservative Washington Times would side with Fred S's claims about hamstringing the nation. As for the other media excerpts listed on Brown Bailout, notice the highlighted portions that simply state “Fedex claims” this and “Fedex is concerned” that. Just ’cause Fedex claims it is so doesn’t make it true. I think that the use of the term “bailout” is going to come back and bite Fedex, because by now the public is all too well aware of what a real bailout is, i.e. the banks, the insurance companies, and the car makers. No one's going to fall for this smear campaign.

And under "Welcome to the Brown Bailout Blog" I posted twice:

@Kellie and @ Lisa: “, mortgage documents, and payroll need the overnight care and transport that only FedEx can give.” Only Fedex can give? Last time I checked, UPS offers overnight service and two day service as well. The fact that Fedex started the overnight delivery service and owns the biggest piece of the (domestic) pie is irrelevant, as both UPS and the USPS, both unionized, by the way, can do what Fedex can do. A couple of things to think about:
1) Calling this a “bailout” is disingenuous, at best. UPS is not asking for nor would receive ANY money;
2) Reclassifying Express under NRLB would not automatically make them Union. They would still have to vote to do so. Keep in mind that thousands of Fedex Ground employees are CURRENTLY under NLRB and have never voted to unionize. What is Fred S so afraid of?

@ Daniel: I wish I could make this simpler for YOU. You are comparing Fedex Express, which ONLY delivers air packages, with ALL of the UPS system, which delivers air and ground both. Why not compare apples to apples and say that Fedex ships 80% of its air packages by plane, and UPS ships 80% of its air packages by plane. Notice I said “ships” and not “delivers” because a little thought will show you that NOTHING gets DELIVERED by a plane. It gets delivered by a driver driving a truck. The difference in their business models has no bearing on what they ultimately accomplish in getting a package from A to B, it is merely a legal loophole which makes it easier for Fedex to avoid dealing fairly with his employees. As we couriers like to say, “Same Job, Different Trucks”. Let's make the same laws apply to both.

My apologies to MrFedEx for stealing his signature.:annoyed2:

bbsam

Staff member
BALONEY,
At a minimum, a UPS driver does 50% more deliveries/volume, than the average fedex person in the same area.
So, if you base wage/benefits on the actual work preformed, fedex drivers make more than UPSers.
Simple ratio.
I will repeat myself.
thank you. this is the point i continue to make time and time again on this site:happy-very:

upser_J

When the bill passes it does not mean that FedEx would unionize. Its highly likely that some will and some parts will not. But it has taken us as UPSers many contracts to get to our wages, and contract in place as it is and to think that they would ne near us in their first contract would be almost impossible.
I think as soon as a few start to get contracts and the other buildings find out about the "perks," more will join. kind of like a dominoes falling situation

Catatonic

Nine Lives
BALONEY,
Simple ratio.
I will repeat myself.

Just curious, do you think the metro commercial UPS driver should make 30-40% more than the rural/residential UPS driver?
The reason I ask is that the primary differences between a UPS route and a FedEx Express route is Stop Density, Packages per Stop and Weight per Package.
These are the same primary differences between a UPS metro commercial route and a UPS rural/residential route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rural/residential routes are often times referred to as retirement routes as they tend to be the routes favored by those drivers nearing retirement. There is normally less wear and tear on the driver. Should compensation be revised to reflect the differences between urban and rural routes? I don't believe so. We all pay our dues and should be rewarded as we near the finish line, not during the race.

I know a few of the Express drivers here and feel confident that each of them would do just fine wearing Brown. Sure, there would be an adjustment period, both in productivity and mindset, but each of us went through this adjustment when we first started working here.

Red has made many good points, chief among these being that passage of this legislation does not necessarily mean that FedEx employees will immediately begin to organize. Passage will simply afford them the opportunity to do so.

I have enjoyed this discussion as points have been made on both sides of the issue and I have learned a lot about FedEx that I did not know.

JustTired

free at last.......
Red has made many good points, chief among these being that passage of this legislation does not necessarily mean that FedEx employees will immediately begin to organize. Passage will simply afford them the opportunity to do so.

I think passage of this bill would be a win-win situation for both UPS and the Fedex employees. I'm guessing that if this bill were to pass, Fred will up the compensation (among other things) to his employees to keep the union out. So....regardless if they become union or not....the Fedex employee will benefit. The "playing field" could level out some even if the union fails to make inroads. JMO

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I looked the other day to see if my comment had been posted. I could have swore that it was, but it wasn't. It is still waiting moderation even though there are a number of posts below me.

MY POST:

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I have no issue with our Fed Ex drivers around here. They are decent hard working people just like myself. 1 Or 2 of them are even friends. They do the same work as I do and they deserve the same benefits and pay that I get. There is no mud slinging between us (drivers). We don’t fight with each other. That should be left to the corporate level.
There have been many posts here that slam and slur UPS for pushing this legislation, but I think it is fair to say that if the roles were reversed Fred would not waste a minute of time doing the same thing.

I'd like to know what is wrong with my post and why hasn't it been approved. And I can answer my own question..............the majority of the posts that are being allowed are pro Fed Ex. What a sham of a blog.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think passage of this bill would be a win-win situation for both UPS and the Fedex employees. I'm guessing that if this bill were to pass, Fred will up the compensation (among other things) to his employees to keep the union out. So....regardless if they become union or not....the Fedex employee will benefit. The "playing field" could level out some even if the union fails to make inroads. JMO
I'm not sure how wages would increase if FedEx is less profitable than UPS now and the price is pretty much the same.
I see it more along the the lines of having to integrate Ground and Express in order to stay in business. That's going to be hard to do "after the fact".
I can see the current owner operators delivering much if not all of the Express packages.
Going to be interesting if the bill does pass and as I stated before, I'm all for it.

pretzel_man

I'm not sure how wages would increase if FedEx is less profitable than UPS now and the price is pretty much the same.
I see it more along the the lines of having to integrate Ground and Express in order to stay in business. That's going to be hard to do "after the fact".
I can see the current owner operators delivering much if not all of the Express packages.
Going to be interesting if the bill does pass and as I stated before, I'm all for it.

Hoax,

If the bill passes, I don't know if they would integrate the air and ground. It seems to me that once they do that, they would no longer be able to call those drivers independent contractors.

I find so many contradictions in their statements....

They talk about how their employees are happy and well paid. If that's the case, whey are they worried? Whey would they want to unionize?

They talk about how their remaining in the RLA is so important because a strike could stop commerce. Then they go on to say how the UPS strike stopped commerce. I would think more commerce is going through the ground than air.

At the moment, I'm enjoying UPS management and Teamsters having a common enemy. I think we fight and bicker among ourselves like a family. Now that we are attacked, we are joining together.

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax,

If the bill passes, I don't know if they would integrate the air and ground. It seems to me that once they do that, they would no longer be able to call those drivers independent contractors.

P-Man

I understand and agree P-Man. I drifted off topic from my direct reply to FedEx having to raise their wages.
I don't see how they can do that ... the Express part of their business, for years, has been FedEx's least profitable operating unit and UPS's most profitable (if you believe the numbers and the analysts). If FedEx increases wages and their cost goes up, it could be a long-downward spiral for FedEx Express unless FedEx decides to let the Ground side prop up the Express side.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
***** says:

"It is funny to see these die-hard FedEx employees continue to post here (probably the same ones that are in control of this website)

One thing is for sure - if you ever hear, for example, “Mike” say …

“Has anyone heard that they treat their people unfairly at FedEx Express? NO, they win awards constantly and are recognized world-wide for their benefits and employee policies.”

That is extremely innaccurate and simply false/lies. Infact it would not be surprising to believe that UPS treats its employees better than FedEx simply because of the union involvement and knowing it has no choice than to co-exist with said employees rather than axe them and slander them on the way out the door.

Fed-Ex is anti-labor, anti-union, retaliatory towards any union activity or even mentioning the word union. They have harrassed, cooerced, intimidated and fired for these reasons. Does this sound like a “strong company” with a “large market share” and that “brown needs a bailout from disaster”, in all honesty? Or does this sound more like a company called FedEx that is running scared because the power is getting closer to being placed in the hands of the Fed-Ex delivery workforce instead of the deep pocketed corporate fatcats?

I’d say we all know the answer deep down."

This post will make the blog!

Johney

All I can say is this...If this bill rules against FDX and the express division unionizes then wouldn't they have the best job in the world? Union wages plus their workload would make being a FDX courier a highly sought after position.
Don't you think that their workload would increase?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
***** says:

"It is funny to see these die-hard FedEx employees continue to post here (probably the same ones that are in control of this website)

One thing is for sure - if you ever hear, for example, “Mike” say …

“Has anyone heard that they treat their people unfairly at FedEx Express? NO, they win awards constantly and are recognized world-wide for their benefits and employee policies.”

That is extremely innaccurate and simply false/lies. Infact it would not be surprising to believe that UPS treats its employees better than FedEx simply because of the union involvement and knowing it has no choice than to co-exist with said employees rather than axe them and slander them on the way out the door.

Fed-Ex is anti-labor, anti-union, retaliatory towards any union activity or even mentioning the word union. They have harrassed, cooerced, intimidated and fired for these reasons. Does this sound like a “strong company” with a “large market share” and that “brown needs a bailout from disaster”, in all honesty? Or does this sound more like a company called FedEx that is running scared because the power is getting closer to being placed in the hands of the Fed-Ex delivery workforce instead of the deep pocketed corporate fatcats?

I’d say we all know the answer deep down."

This post will make the blog!

What do you know, my post didn't make the blog. but 5 pro Fed-Ex posts did.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hmmm, will this post make the blog? :)

"John says:

Great site.

Fed-Ex is the best company to work for. No one wants to be strong-armed into joining a union. We already have top pay, great work conditions, amazingly amazing management and easily the best benefits package around. our families are covered 100%, our 401k plan is second to none, and the pensions are robust! Us drivers will all retire as millionaires and reap the benefits of a non-union atmopsphere due to the caring, sharing and giving Fed-Ex corporate scheme.

There is nothing to gain by joining a union. Fed-ex is easily the best company to work for there ever has been.

I hope the brown bailout goes down in flames."

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hmmm, will this post make the blog? :)

"John says:

Great site.

Fed-Ex is the best company to work for. No one wants to be strong-armed into joining a union. We already have top pay, great work conditions, amazingly amazing management and easily the best benefits package around. our families are covered 100%, our 401k plan is second to none, and the pensions are robust! Us drivers will all retire as millionaires and reap the benefits of a non-union atmopsphere due to the caring, sharing and giving Fed-Ex corporate scheme.

There is nothing to gain by joining a union. Fed-ex is easily the best company to work for there ever has been.

I hope the brown bailout goes down in flames."

well whaddya know, this post filled with Fed-Ex luving sarcastic crap was quickly approved by the mods. :sick: